Nordic shamanism: Seidhr & Galdr

Kassandra

Nordic shamanism: Seidhr & Galdr

Post by Kassandra »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NQCK4X5_BY
A good overview. It's funny --she starts coughing right around the part where she mentions part of
Seidr work includes healing practices similar to what we think of as Reiki, etc. I think subconsciously
she felt she could really use some healing at the moment, poor thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9JknHqoIc
He's got a little nose twitch that I don't think he can control.lol Another good overview, though.

loona wynd
Banned Member

Re: Nordic shamanism: Seidhr & Galdr

Post by loona wynd »

Is this something that you practice yourself? I've found that these are often practices embraced by Germanic witches and Pagans that are seeking a spirit world practice.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Hi loona wynd, welcome to the message board. Hope you enjoy things here. :wink:

Part of what I've done the past almost-five years on this board is to share related information as I come across it. It adds to the content, incites conversations and questions, etc. So, you'll see a lot of videos and articles that I have posted that are not necessarily things that I practice, but things that I think are important to expose people to, topics related to the theme of this board.

While I resonate with ...resonating tone and sound, I have not used runes in this way (I'm more of an ogham person, myself). I have and do use tones and alphabets/imagery for various purposes in my spiritual practices, and have for years, but that's another post. Having said that, I believe we all have both "soul lines," as well as "blood lines," and I don't think people need to be of a specific race for specific spiritual practices to resonate with them, for instance, don't have to be Germanic or Nordic for Seidhr & Galdr to resonate with them, to "embrace" them, etc. Sometimes, people "recognize" spiritual practices due to a deeper soul connection with them that goes beyond the current lifetime, I believe.

It's great you know about Seidhr & Galdr practices, but I have found that not a lot of people do. In fact, since I posted the posts above, I received PMs that this info provided a deeper insight into peoples' spiritual applications of rune work. I think within the next couple of generations such practices as Seidhr & Galdr may be in danger of getting altogether lost, unfortunately. I hope not. That's partly why I've posted this information here.

I think a lot of spiritual practices like this, if anything, will be carried on via video games, believe it or not. A moderator here, Xiao Rong (who is of Chinese heritage, but resonates with European runes, and does insightful readings for herself and others with them) started an interesting conversation thread about contemporary media seeming to become spiritual grimoires of sorts for many.

We've even opened a separate forum about this: Pop Culture Magic. When I have mentioned things like bindrunes and whatnot to people who know nothing about witchcraft, they will say, "Oh, that's like blah in the video game blah blah blah." I'm like, "Um, yeah, just like that," haha. Another member here calls himself a "fable witch," and effects his magic through the art he creates, and the stories he writes.

So, to really enjoy this board loona wynd, I advise you to leave judgmentalness behind and think outside the box as to which spiritual practices can be practiced by whom, why and how, and just enjoy the exchange of information here. :)

Thanks!

DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

If you get the chance you might want to watch Vikings on the History Channel. It's a tv series but I was impressed by how historically correct it was (but then again it's produced by the history channel). They illustrate the norse/viking customs, social attitudes, religion and celebrations. They talk about Odin, Loki, Freya etc... last season it inspired me to pick up a new set of runes. ^_^
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

My thing about Runes is that Runes are a Norse sacred mystery and most people either ignore that fact or have never heard of it before. For me Runic work is about connecting to the Norse Gods and the culture. The word Rune comes from Runa meaning Mystery. Odin himself plucked the sets of runes out of the well of Mimir. This for me illustrates how they are sacred mysteries of Germanic Paganism.

I know today they are more often used as divination sources than they are magical and ritual tools. I have no issues with the divination uses. I have found that many of those associations have some ties to the mystery and magical force with in them. I just wish more people understood that they are a sacred part of Nordic/Germanic Paganism and not just another divination tool like Tarot cards.

With the Runes I more fear them becoming marginalized as a divination tool rather than dying out. I would rather see Runes as a sacred mystery and magical practice be rare and nearly gone than see them used as divinitory tools. Historically that is not a use we have been able to prove as a ritual language and as a set of symbols for sacred mysteries yes. There have yet to be found any lore references to runes as a divination tool.

Seidr is one Shamanic tradition I am interested in. There are many different European Shamanic traditions. Seidr is one of them. Hedge witchcraft is another form. I believe that the Celtic traditions had their own trance tradition and practices as well. The Greeks had Oracles which used shamanic and trance techniques to contact spirit. Trance work is something which can be found in most cultures, typically by a specific sect or members of the community.

If I were to focus completely on Anglo -Saxon and Germanic witchcraft I would be using Galdr and Seidr as practices. For me that are Norse magical traditions and should really be studied and engaged in within that context. For me the cultural aspects are key in the meanings of the practices and spirits involved. Remove the cultural context and the practices are not the same any more.

Ogham is a Celtic practice. I have had no interest in Celtic magical practices so I have had no interest in Ogham. However I would treat Ogham the same way I would treat the runes. They are a sacred part of a specific culture. I would have to study that culture as part of my study of Ogham.

Return to “Shamanism”