clothing?

Member's writings, poetry, ramblings, etc.
GregoryLionborn

clothing?

Post by GregoryLionborn »

So, I really have no idea where this could go, because it's not directly (necessarily) related to any particular part of any given practice. But at the same time, it could easily be applied to such. However, my intent was more for daily wear that still shows our pride and connection to our beliefs and mindsets.

Does anyone have any stores, or DIY tips for clothing that would be considered "in the style" of our lovely Craft? Namely what could be considered "new age" or "hippy" clothing? It's easy to find cheap and costume hooplah, but I'd like to find some nice, earthy pants and shirts in browns, blues, and greens. Especially those made with good, natural material.

Obviously DIY is probably the best, and while I cosplay, I'm far from a seamstress. Seamster? I'm not a tailor. :lol:

I've got more than a few things in the way of jewelry and accessories, but good pants and shirts elude me.

Apologies if this isn't a proper place for this post. It was the best I could really find on the list!
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: clothing?

Post by SnowCat »

Have you checked any ethnic stores? I'm thinking along the lines of African and Mexican. Hot Topic has some non mainstream stuff too. I think this a good topic. Thanks for bringing it up.
Daughter of Sekhmet
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

If you dress like a hippie, people will think you’re a hippie. If you dress like a “new age guru” people will think you’re one.

Most of the time this demographic isn’t taken seriously. Hippies are stoners and new age gurus are self absorbed. Common people work off stereotypes.

One of my mentors, if you were to see him walking down the street, would come across as a businessman. Dress shoes, blazer, collared shirt. Of course, he added a bit of flair to it to set himself apart haha.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, are you trying to be taken seriously by everyone? Or do you not mind being an outcast?

FYI, outcasts don’t make as many connections.

All that being said, have you checked out the hipster style? I’m a fan.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

How about real basics. Jeans. Faded or new, they can match with any shirt and accessories. They come in colors too and they're 100% Cotton.
GregoryLionborn

Well, in terms of sticking out, I generally speaking I run between goth and sort of whatever looks decent and comfortable.

(of course I do have dress clothing, but you know, for the appropriate circumstances). I'm a writer, and trying to expand my diving training to eventually instruct. So in terms of more formal connections, I'm not terribly worried.

There was a goth style very briefly and minutely mentioned, called hippy goth (mostly in a sort of... style survey thing), which referred more to the pagans of the community who enjoyed wearing clothing associated with any given practice, as well as the overall mentality and actual beliefs. Which was very appealing to me, but as before, finding anything to be able to get the look whether darker or plain earthy was a bit of a chore.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I'd retired, I ditched all my dreary proper "office attire" with delight. I favor loose fit jeans or cotton "yoga" pants (like worn in Asian countries, not the ridiculous knit 2-nd skin bindings) & Purple sport shirts. There's pride in purple :)
Tutmosis

Post by Tutmosis »

Or just go about in your birthday suit. I find this helps me connect to a more intimate side of myself... When alone of course! Please dont walk around with your birthday suit lol
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ren Faire !...if you can afford it :lol: Getting pretty spendy just getting in. There are many vendors that carry clothing that could be worn in this craft.
It's coming up in April...the one in Irwindale https://renfair.com/socal/
Maybe I'll see you there! ...I usually go the last weekend.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
GregoryLionborn

Haha, too true! And yeah, let's assume that birthday suits are for the appropriate time and place. XD

Hey! Ren Faire is a good point! I got a black renaisance shirt from the Koronaburg one in Corona a number of years ago. I've never actually gone to that one, though! Hmm. Maybe I'll do that!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ahhh yes Corona was a sweet faire. Only went once, is it still going?
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
GregoryLionborn

I thiiiiink so. I haven't been to that in a while too, but I had a couple friends who were with a group there.

I'll have to look!
nightshroud

Post by nightshroud »

you pick your own style that's true blue to you
The darkness is my friend for I am Nightshroud the darklord.
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I'm curious if certain types of clothing enfuse you and make you more pagan? :roll:

1% polyester, 99% pagan? - NOT PAGAN ENOUGH! Lol!
barker

Post by barker »

I dress for comfort and street-smart look. I do find clothing makes one feel as though they look a certain way. It all depends how much ego you want I guess - more ego is more inspired, but insane.
GregoryLionborn

Well, a friend gave me a 100$ Amazon card. So, I added some clothes. lol Those were more oriented to my "nicer" parts of my wardrobe (i.e. a cool victorian themed vest, a casual vest, and two pairs of loose black pants.

But, I did pick up two pairs of Thai Fisherman pants while I was in Sedona, AZ. They're very comfortable, and have the more 'natural' and airy and earthy look and feel that many pagans and 'new age' folks seem to enjoy. They're honestly my favorite pants I've ever worn.

Return to “The Creative Corner”