Wizards and witches and others

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
ThunderFog

Wizards and witches and others

Post by ThunderFog »

What's the difference between a wizard and a witch also while on the topic is mage just a fantasy term, and what other types of magic practitioners are there I'm partly interested because I currently call myself a druid but it doesnt really feel right or seem to fit exactly
The ability to question our way of thinking is what shows our intelligence.
ThunderFog

Re: Wizards and witches and others

Post by ThunderFog »

Its partly that I originally decided druid because I had an interest in Fey but I've kind of drifted away from that and moved more toward just being interested in studying spirits in general, the afterlife, the astral plane, and general magick
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What’s the difference between a Druid and a Witch?
TamaNyan

Post by TamaNyan »

To my understanding, Druidry is more a "path" of being a witch. Witch is more a generalized term? Essentially a name for someone of the craft. A title.
One persons dark is anothers light. One persons light is anothers dark.
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

I mean from what I understand druidry is a practice that revolves around helping nature or studies relating to nature or nature spirits such as the Fey while witchcraft is more of a generalized term for the study of the craft overall. Correct me if I'm wrong at all. Also is there a difference between a wizard and witch?
TamaNyan

Post by TamaNyan »

I would think that witch and wizard are traditionally gendered terms.
One persons dark is anothers light. One persons light is anothers dark.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In my imagination of the terms a witch works low-magic in harmony with Nature, ancestor or familiar spirits & uses whatever is at hand, and a wizard works with “forces” of the Planes, be they angelic or daemon, and uses strict ritualistic formulas of high magic practices, specific names & words of power, precise calculation of planetary forces, hermetic frequency and what-nots of which I know zip, plus Kabbalistic pathways. Also sorcerer and sorceress is similar, possibly with more divination involved.
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

By that description I'd say I'm closer to witch because I use more of the "whatever is at hand" because I dont have the knowledge of any formulas or names/words of power though that's partly because I'm not particularly interested in drawing the attention of higher level spirits partly because it's not safe, partly because I'm still stuck with my family and I'm pretty sure at least one of the younger members of the house (the age of teens the maturity of kids) actively practices unsafe dark magic in such a way that it summons negative spirits and I we cant exactly do anything about due to it being a religious household of the "magick is crazy people satan stuff" so we're just trying to improve our financial situation to move out
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

On the bright side for whatever reason me and my fiance often have a generally neutral or good standing with dark spirits so they dont bother us much
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

As a freshman at college one of my room mates practiced luciferian magic & before I figured out how I was being used by her as a battery I’d lost so much weight that my clothes just hung on me. She wasn’t a particularly dark person but y’know, some people lack empathy while others got too much. Go figure.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thunderfog, Might give you an opportunity to practice shielding and other forms of protection, just in case.
Druidry uses of offerings and shapeshifting and some do no cast circle but rather set up sacred space and call on Gods and Goddesses the dwellers of the area, Witchcraft may do all that also but I feel spell work might be in more focus than it is in Druidry. The OBOD has a good article about Witches and Druids, https://www.druidry.org/druid-way/other ... itch-druid
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Since our society isn't too much into gender terms anymore I also think witch has become a more general word to describe a person performing witchcraft.

I looked it up and am going to quote the dictionary
WITCH a person, now especially a woman, who professes or is supposed to practice magic or sorcery; a sorceress.Compare warlock.
WARLOCK a man who professes or is supposed to practice magic or sorcery; a male witch; sorcerer.
a fortuneteller or conjurer
DRUID a member of a pre-Christian religious order among the ancient Celts of Gaul, Britain, and Ireland
WIZARD a person who practices magic; magician or sorcerer.
a conjurer or juggler.
Also whiz, wiz [wiz] . a person of amazing skill or accomplishment:
a wizard at chemistry.
MAGIC

the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring:
to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.

the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
the use of this art:

Magic, it was believed, could drive illness from the body.
BB

Blue Moon
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

SpiritTalker wrote:and uses strict ritualistic formulas of high magic practices
that got diverted through the course of millenniums anyway. Parallel challenge is also to question those that created them.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

I've been told explicitly not to use the term warlock, and I've been finding that the spelling magick is more commonly used on more legitimate sites while magic is like the common people term that often will end up with you finding fiction or like the pulling a rabbit out of a hat magician
ThunderFog

Post by ThunderFog »

I do practice shielding but it hasn't been all that necessary as I said before nothing actively goes after me, and I dont intend to "call on gods and goddesses or dwellers of the area" I would prefer to use my own abilities in the sense that I'm not averse to drawing energy from the surrounding area but I prefer to do things myself it's why when I practice magick most of what I've been doing is practicing basics like energy control or focusing my mind

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”