Suggestions for what type of witch I am?

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Throughalloftime

Suggestions for what type of witch I am?

Post by Throughalloftime »

I am a new witch and feel I am not knowledgeable enough of the different branches of witchcraft to choose one yet. My beliefs are heavily rooted in angels, love, and light. I do not worship anything particularly; it is more so that I believe that the Divine is all around us. That the universe itself is its own deity. I really like the idea of using candle magic and I also love divination. That being said, I do not want to begin fully until I know exactly HOW to begin. So, is there any branch of witchcraft you'd suggest for me particularly?
a.e.d.
corvidus

Re: Suggestions for what type of witch i am?

Post by corvidus »

I suggest finding books or other resources on the specific areas you’re interested in. There’s really no need to follow a certain lineage. How to start is as easy as getting ahold of a “beginners guide to candle magician” or something similar.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Exactly HOW to proceed is to research one area of interest at a time & expand your beliefs rather than plug-&-play. It just doesn't work to say "I believe this or that, now tell me where I fit." That is restricting our approach to logic. Esoteric, hidden, occult, shamanic pursuits aren't matters of logic. We have to look into the paths that draw our attention and see if they make enough sense to us to risk making a commitment. Then allow it to unfold. It's like marriage in that.

Define to yourself what draws you to WC. From your description there's nothing particularly Witchy-oriented. Angels, love 'n light, universal deity, divination & candles could be describing a Universal Unitarian (not Witchcraft) as well. Edit: recommend author Doreen Virtue.

If you are interested in Wicca or Trad Witchcraft as a religion you might take a year or so to look into the rituals and a full year's cycle of holidays each of the major regional paths observe. Just an over view of Norse-Celtic vs Strega vs Egyptian etc, can help you sort out which cultural areas paths appeal to you most for further, more indepth study. It's a fascinating comparison just by itself. Mankind is pretty much the same no matter where you go, but each culture has it's particular quirks and ways of saying the same things, in my opinion.

Eclectic Paganism is another possibility:

If you want to pursue the Craft as spirituality, then look into meditation practices. Develop visualization skills and communing with the Other realms. Explore parapsychology research.

If you want to know spell crafting, look into a few spell books. Edit: Doreen Virtue has authored a candle kit with a book of angelic spells.

Get really familiar with the standard attributes of the five elements, if you want to know WC. Find ways to observe & experience the elements in daily life, involve yoir senses in the weather, the plant and stone kingdoms, colors and scents & how they impact your feelings and awareness. Observe how each behaves & interacts with the others. Devote several months to experience each element, one at a time. Be careful. Use good sense. Think before doing. There are no do overs with fire.

A circle is the most common spiritual, magical and religious practice continuously performed by every culture on the planet. Even inter-planetary visitors use circles for communing, and triangles when manifesting.

You can combine these (religion, spirituality & crafting) in the simple actions of casting a circle & observing all the layers of influence & sensory interaction. Try to appreciate why each step of casting a circle is performed by noticing how it affects you on the physical and the astral levels. Experiment with "traditional" WC compass round methods vs western occult circle casting methods and observe the differences. Learn when & how to use circle energies to support your practice. Witches do circles for some very useful reasons. Only you can learn-by-doing to discover the reasons that work for you.

Those are a few suggestions to start.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Thank the powers that be that Spirit made her home here. I "Humbly" after that. Really Spirit, write a book. It would be killer! I'd buy it. I wonder if you've thought about trying The Philosophy of Light as a start of your practice. It is basic enough you can bring it to any discipline later that you pursue. I also start with the circle. I do it with the AmerInd tradition. If you ,or anyone are interested bring it up in "Palefaces" and maybe I can get it out of "Shamanism" and get it to "Medicine" or Indian Affairs or something. {Sorry. Blatant Plug for the section I write and Am trying to get big enough or popular enough to move to the right place} The circle is somewhat different from the Craft tradition. I can't claim it for all Indians. For the Iroquois Confederacy, who gave you the Constitution, Yes. If there is interest I'll do a rant or ramble or whatever it is I do about the Confederation too. Let me know. Everybody knows once you get me started I write on and on.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Y'know PW, if you'd write a teaching piece about Amer-Ind circles in the shamanism section, I'd love it. Our local Potawatomi Council put out a booklet 40+ years ago that depicted the wisdom layers of the sky, land - the flora, fauna, stone, family - and spirit unity in the circle (im phrasing this poorly) and like a dolt I loaned my copy and never saw it again.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

As my friend wishes, how can I refuse to take you through the circle. There are wheels within wheels and it brings us from down the rabbit hole to the sky people.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I wouldn't doubt it :D
RyukaAscendant

Post by RyukaAscendant »

Honestly if either of you wrote a book I'd buy it, with what little money I have. But I feel there is a lot I could learn from both of you.
Child of Gaia; student of Athena, Odin, and Djehuty; and follower of the middle path.

Moderation in all things, including moderation.
Throughalloftime

With all due respect everyone can you pm if youre going to have a seperate conversation on the thread? I respect all of you but I dont feel as though im being respected right now
a.e.d.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

May I be forgiven? I'm sorry I drew us off track. I sometimes can't help digressing.
Throughalloftime

Yes of course!
a.e.d.
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Again, sorry for the digression. More importantly have you any leaning towards what you'd like to be doing. Any thing interesting get your attention. Anything any of us can help with? Info you'd like? We're still around if you find you'd like a hand.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for what type of witch I am?

Post by Firebird »

Sometimes one will respond to another within a thread, it happens and it generally is not frowned against unless the whole topic goes wonky. Since shamanism is a kind of witchcraft it didn't deviate greatly from your original question...and then if Planewalker does post on this topic you may wish to read to see if it is something that interests you in you as a witch path/type. I personally identify as a shamanistic herbal hedge type witch that has her interests in the Celts but I'm really not into the labels so much. I'm just a witch.
Besides if you are new, there is No hurry. Look around, read...read a lot. The more knowledge you have the more apparent your path will become.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Hear Firebirds wisdom and take it to heart. Look for simple things that may or may not {but then you know} lead somewhere. It's an adventure to be enjoyed. Take all the joy life will give you.

Dang!@#$% thing double punched on me. If you wouldn't mind working one of the little magics on this. Thanks.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You have the "power" to delete your own post :fairy: up to a few days I beleive.
But I'll whip out the broom and work the clean up magic! :flyingwitch:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”