Eclectic Pagan

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
JackFrost102

Eclectic Pagan

Post by JackFrost102 »

Hey,

So I posted on another board asking a question concerning Electist Witchcraft... Basically I was interested in exploring multiple paths and taking bits that I liked to explore in my own way. I was told by another member that I was rude for even contemplating this.

Was this wrong or should I apologise for the offence?

Thanks
''Vworp Vworp'' - The Doctor's TARDIS.
Vesca

Re: Eclectic Pagan

Post by Vesca »

Eclectic paganism is actually a very common path. We each walk our own, shape our own with our experiences and interests, so it only stands to reason that often these paths won't fall into a specific tradition.

So no, you weren't wrong. You have no reason to apologize. And that other member is simply being a jerk.
JackFrost102

Post by JackFrost102 »

Thank you for the quick reply! It did seem a bit of a dick move to try and tell me what I could and couldn't practise. I completely agree with you where people are allowed to create their own spiritual paths and experiences.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

That's a good rule of thumb too. People who tell you how or what to think are generally people whose claims should be taken with a grain (or sometimes bucket) of salt.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Of course you can be eclectic. As long as you're practicing what feels right to you, that's all that matters.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

I think where that person was coming from is the thinking that when you take a "bit of that" and mix it with "a bit of this" then add "two pinches of something else" and throw in things from more traditions you end up with "a spiritual stew".

Eclecticism, I know, is very popular and works for some. The only thing to remember is that when you only use "parts" of a tradition it can water things down quite a bit so be careful about what "parts" you take :)
Siona

Post by Siona »

Jenny Crow wrote: Eclecticism, I know, is very popular and works for some. The only thing to remember is that when you only use "parts" of a tradition it can water things down quite a bit so be careful about what "parts" you take :)
I think this is very, very important. I don't think there's anything wrong at all with being eclectic, I'm a bit eclectic myself, but it requires a lot of study and thought to actually form a solid personal path this way. It's one thing to go, oh, I like this idea, I'll use it - but it's another to actually dig into the source material and understand the details of why something particular was done. Without that you're just left with the superficial idea, which is not always bad, but doing that too much can leave you with, well, a superficial practice.

Respect is another key element to being an eclectic. Sometimes there really are things that are best left in their cultural context. Being an eclectic doesn't automatically make one rude, but it is possible to be a rude eclectic, so it's just something to consider as you go along.
Lux

Post by Lux »

JackFrost102 wrote:Hey,

So I posted on another board asking a question concerning Electist Witchcraft... Basically I was interested in exploring multiple paths and taking bits that I liked to explore in my own way. I was told by another member that I was rude for even contemplating this.

Was this wrong or should I apologise for the offence?

Thanks
Don't let fundamentalism get you down! Some people can get really edgy about Electic witchcraft, I guess some like to imagine they are purists if they follow a specific pantheon. However I feel we are all defined as wiccans because we share the same core belief system which we all build on in our own individual way.

-Belief in the God and Goddess (or multiple Gods and Goddesses)
-Belief in magic and the ability to create it
-Belief in the natural magic of nature

I know that's not everything but I'm kind of just tossing out a few examples.
JackFrost102

Post by JackFrost102 »

Thanks for the replies, the principles everyone has laid out has really offered a fresh insight. :) Is it possible to practice magick purely with spell work? Coming from a conventional Christian home... I'm worried about creating problems within my personal life. Could I cast spells in a similar way of reciting a prayer?
Lux

Post by Lux »

JackFrost102 wrote:Thanks for the replies, the principles everyone has laid out has really offered a fresh insight. :) Is it possible to practice magick purely with spell work? Coming from a conventional Christian home... I'm worried about creating problems within my personal life. Could I cast spells in a similar way of reciting a prayer?
I come from a very strong christian family life too. The thing with wicca, magic and the occult is there's no central dogma to follow. If you feel more comfortable reciting things in prayer form that is totally cool.

Now there are some best practice suggestions that are totally optional:

- doing magic when you're upset/angry is generally a bad idea. We all do and say things we regret when we're mad
- Use a ritual circle for protection. You don't want any bad vibes floating around while you're trying to do magic.
- Don't cast magic on someone who is not willing. Even if it might help them, it's bad to mess with free will.

You'll find there's going to be a lot of self discovery on your new spiritual journey. There's a ton to absorb and books/forums are your friend!
JackFrost102

Post by JackFrost102 »

I can't thank you enough, I feel more at ease with everything and I'll be sure to follow your advice. ^^

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”