How do you find your root??

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
blue_moon

How do you find your root??

Post by blue_moon »

For the past weeks I've been searching the internet for bohemian (northern čechoslovakia) and lithuanian religion legends and mythology. I only had little luck.

as a child I was very interested in Egyptian mythology - when I grew older my father told me about the myths of the region we lived in. They are connected to the celtic - but I was always missing my roots.

If you reduce every pantheon to it's core they all have gods of sun moon stars, fire water and wisdome, the earth special plants and animals. So the only difference is in the name you give it.

How did you choose your path (and pantheon)?
BB

Blue Moon
SilverWort

Re: How do you find your root??

Post by SilverWort »

I tried to learn from almost every path I can find. Maybe I'm not the right one to answer, I'm eclectic, work with gods when I need, and I choose the god or goddess (or the pantheon) according to my needs.

An example, in Samhain, I work with Hades, offering him lots of mint to "open the gates" and let the dead go their way. Can do the same with many different gods.

On the other hand, Odin appears often in my dreams in his form of one-eyed old man, it's a natural thing to me, cause I made so many sacrifices for knowledge. I think it's a signal to continue down that road. But I still taking things from all paths and working with gods only when I need.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

I have never really made a specific choice. I have invoked gods from multiple different pantheons (though I know those from the Greek, Egyptian, and Norse pantheons the best) for specific purposes, and when in an average ritual, I usually just call upon the God and Goddess without specific names. As for my path... I have no name for it. I don't object to being called Wiccan, though I don't follow all of Gardner's ideas. I'm not particular about what I'm called - as long as it's not "devil worshipper" or "Satanist," I'm good, you know? ;3
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

What you might be looking for, blue moon, is the religion of the Proto-Indo-Europeans. They are the root of e.g. the celtic, germanic, baltic... myths. I have been researching this for a long time now, too, and can offer you a few links.

Proto-Indo-European Religion

PIE-Deities

Lithuania & Baltic:

Ancient Baltic Religions

Lithuania Pagan News

Slavic Mythology-Text Archive (you have to search for the lithuanian and baltic stuff but there are a few)

Lithuanian folklore

Baltic Gods
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thank you so much! ! I'll look at those websites as soon as I can.
BB

Blue Moon
autumn swan

Post by autumn swan »

Have you found what you were looking for by now?
May the Lord and the Lady bless you.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”