Working with the Fay

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Hildegard

Working with the Fay

Post by Hildegard »

I've seen a lot of threads beginning with someone wanting advice on working with the fay, and rather than reply to a thread that's a bit too old I thought I would just start a new one specifically for such advice, in the hope that this will become a resource for those seeking answers about the fay.

The word "fairy", "faerie", "fae", or any variation thereof comes originally from the Middle English "faie", meaning "enchanted", which gives us "fay" in modern English (as in "Morgan le Fay"). "Faie" or "fay" came eventually to refer specifically to the race of legendary beings referred to in Old French as "faie" or "fee", and who are known today most commonly as "fairies". The word "fairy", "faery", or "faerie" was formed by adding the -ery or -ry suffix to "faie", indicating either place or habitual activity (e.g. fishery, grainery, nunnery, etc.). Thus "fairy" originally referred to the land in which the faie dwell or to their habitual activity, i.e. enchantment, but is today more commonly used than "faie" or "fay". "Fae", also somewhat common today, especially in a magickal context, is a back-formation from "faery" and "faerie".

Some stories and traditions hold that the name "fairy" (or any of its variations) is offensive to the beings to which it refers; other sources say that its use calls the fay, inviting their mischief. There are therefore many euphemistic terms for the fay, among them "the Good Folk", "People of Peace", and "the Fair Folk" (in Welsh "tylwyth teg").

The Fair Folk cannot lie, but that does not mean that they are honest. The fay can and often will mislead by holding back a portion of the truth, or by twisting the truth in such a way as to give entirely the wrong impression. Many of the fay delight in mischief - sometimes harmless, often not. They may ride domesticated animals, anything from a horse to a dog, cat, hamster, or parakeet, at night. Animals ridden by the Fair Folk may develop mysterious injuries or illness, or may simply be left completely exhausted each morning.

The fay do not like iron. Some stories say that it is painful for them to touch it or even to be near it; other accounts vary as to why they avoid it. An iron horseshoe above the door will keep the Fair Folk from entering a home, and an iron nail in a pocket will protect one's person from their mischief. Conversely, those wishing to contact the fay should avoid carrying iron on their person. Breadcrumbs carried in a pocket will also protect someone from abduction by the Fair Folk.

There is no consensus as to the appearance of the fay. In some tales they appear as tiny winged figures, in others they are tall and possess inhuman grace and beauty, and still other stories say that they are terribly hideous and deformed. Even when they are assumed to be small, there is dispute; more recent accounts give them insect wings, while older tales have them flying on enchanted ragwort stems or riding on the backs of birds. It is likely that they can change their appearance; many stories say that their small size is magically attained, and some English traditions hold that the Fair Folk take on the appearance of the dead.

Perhaps the most important warning for anyone working with the fay is not to thank them. This seems very counter-intuitive, but many stories say that the Fair Folk tend to view a verbal "thank you" as an indication that the favor they did has been forgotten. Instead, they expect a gift of equivalent value - though their sense of value can be quite different from ours. Tradition tells that immense favors can be bought for the price of a tune or a secret.

Please add your own knowledge, advice, or experiences working with the Fair Folk to this thread!
Sakura Blossom

Re: Working with the Fay

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Very wonderful information you shared! And it just goes to show how stories and beliefs can differ ever so slightly too which I love seeing.

I work with the Fae and I do not call them Fairy. From what I've been told during meditations with them; it was better to use "faerie" to distinguish from the romanticized version of them with the wings and small stature. Of course, this is just my account and experience from meeting with a single fae being during meditative work but I wanted to share.

I'm also very glad you shared the thanking information. It's very important to remember that, and even if there isn't any truth to it (or anything we read for that matter); I always tend to follow it anyways to err on the safe side as those who have worked with the fae understand that one does not want to end up on their bad side. I've heard mixed accounts as to why this is: Whether it be what you mentioned, that they expect you to do something in return or the concept of "thanking" someone is lost to them and could be revered as offensive. Regardless of the why; I still am glad this was mentioned because of what I stated earlier in this paragraph.

To add to your information about lying - I've heard various stories about this and during my research I've seen many accounts of not lying yourself if you wish to work with them. They appreciate honesty and have been known to abandon others if they know you are dishonest. Especially with promises to them so it's highly important, I think, to follow through with your bargains to the fullest.

I'd also like to add that it's also good not to immediately assume that they're simply the tiny folk. As you mentioned, there is much dispute and no one knows for sure how they truly appear so I always make sure not to judge in such a manner. I've heard many stories of others doing this and having misfortune befall them because they did.

I think what is important to remember is that the fae, while still powerful beings, are similar to humans in the sense that we wouldn't want someone to just assume we were one way when really we were another. And along the same school of thought, it's important to remember that some of the fae are nicer than others just like with anyone. I've known there to be faeries that are very kindhearted and wish no ill-will to others while I've heard of those that are simply out for themselves and don't care about anyone that stands in their way.

Some other things to add, which I'll copy from a thread I made awhile ago about communication with spirits and the fey:

- There is debate about the fae vs. nature spirits and about how they are one and the same. I believe this comes down to personal experience because I've heard mixed things. From what I've experienced, I view them as one and the same. The fae are known to care about the environment as well as to protect certain trees, plants and so on. This makes me feel that they're both the same in the sense that they're all spirits of nature that take care of it. In terms of plant spirits; I think that's something else entirely.

- The fae love milk as offerings and also enjoy cakes. Other items of interest include but are not limited to: shiny objects, feathers, and stones. As mentioned above, music and dancing is a good offering if you invite them to join you which also can work to bring them into your life as well.

- Some colors that are usually associated with the fae are black and red so if you happen to see an animal or insect with these colors there's a chance that the fey have paid you a visit.

- The fey are known to be mischievous and tricksters. I've experienced this first hand in the sense that they enjoy being playful. If you begin to work with them don't be surprised if you're left gifts in strange places or some of your items go missing only to return again in places other than where you left them.

- Other notes about etiquette when working with them: Be polite as you do not wish to upset them, just as you wouldn't want to do for someone else; Don't eat their food if it's offered to you. I'm sure you've heard the stories about if you eat their food you could get trapped in their world but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what happens. As we have no proof, we cannot be sure. However, I've heard from various people and sources that it might be more of a cultural difference than anything else so it's best to simply decline politely.

You've covered a lot of the major points with the fae, and I'm very happy to see it. I think what I wrote is all I have to add in and I'm hoping I didn't say something you already did. I have a bad tendency to forget what I read while writing out replies (curse having the memory of a goldfish!).

I'm looking forward to hearing more from others. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
cherrypie

Post by cherrypie »

There was a black insect with bright red wings flying next to me for a while during one of my visits to the forest some days ago. Had to think of the fairies immediately! Don't know if that is a fairy as well but from time to time there is a lovely robin in that forest that always seem to wait for me (and my huge dog). It is sitting in a tree, looking at me and not flying away. Sometimes is flies back and forth, not shy at all, sometimes landing right in front of us on the forest floor, without any fear, and it always looks directly at me. I love it when I see it (of course I am convinced that it is always the same bird, and why not?), most of the time it appears when I feel bad and that changes it all, I feel guided, portected, with a light, happy breeze.
Empathlookingtohelp

Post by Empathlookingtohelp »

As a living fairy I agree with the spinning of the truth and as to the appearance I see other fairies that aren't in the physical world as little people with wings, some are different colors and different personalities of course.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”