Finding My Faith

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Finding My Faith

Post by Naudia Threng »

Greetings! This is a call to all, i need help finding my faith. When i first joined this community i was in a bad emotional state, looking for some semblance of order in my life, which i believed had been on my faith. When in reality, i was spiritually unprepared to blindly adopt any belief that fit my fancy. I have now experienced a better view of life and found myself. The only thing missing from my little circle of me is religion, i want one that truly is for me and i balance with on a spiritual level. And i have explored more than just Pagan and the like, many more than those. But, in the end i always came back to this general area. And i was hoping that someone would be willing to educate me in many of these faiths. My knowledge of them is barren and i was to make my belief fertile and blooming.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Finding My Faith

Post by AdastraJunction »

Here are some questions to ask yourself:
Is there any particular aspect of paganism that you gravitate too?
What about it keeps bringing you back?
What are your interests thus far in what you have learned?
What are you looking for in a belief system/ lifestyle? Is it more spiritual? Is it more philosophical? Nature based?
Why do you feel you need a religion or belief system?

We can only help educate not decide for you so these are some good questions to keep in mind while you decide on what fits best with your heart, body and mind as well as current lifestyle.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I have thought of these, I just don't know if there's one that fits them.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

There doesn't have to be just one, there are many people here that are eclectic with their beliefs, a spiritual mix so to speak.
random417

Post by random417 »

Although, to be fair, even if we're educating, having the answers to Adastra's questions might help us in giving you some ideas
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Figuring out your beliefs can be tough. Answering those questions can definitely be a good start. As mentioned, it doesn't have to be just one. Part of the beauty of Paganism is forging your own path. As Random said, it could help us help you a bit to have some more info, like the answers to the questions. It could be good to keep a notebook, and when you find something you like, or draws you in...write it down. Follow your instincts. If something is pulling at you, it's probably for a good reason. I've recently learned it helps to sort of let your path lead you.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Is there any particular aspect of paganism that you gravitate too? I am attracted to the positive vibe of paganism. It's natural inbred acceptance of everyone.

What about it keeps bringing you back? I'm not really sure, it just feels more right.

What are your interests thus far in what you have learned? I've learned alot, my biggest interest being the capacity for helping others.

What are you looking for in a belief system/ lifestyle? Is it more spiritual? Spiritual/Natural more towards natural.

Why do you feel you need a religion or belief system? I'm not sure, its just a feeling.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I also thought about Shamanism, but I was told that there has to be a calling for that.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

NoahC wrote:I also thought about Shamanism, but I was told that there has to be a calling for that.
Different teachers will tell you different things. Shamanism is very tribal in nature, very raw and taps in to primitive man's relationship with nature. Just like any spiritual position of leadership or mentorship, there is a calling. That doesn't mean you can't practice shamanism without some big spiritual experience. If there are aspects of any religion/spirituality that resonates with you it's perfectly ok to integrate it into your path. It's YOUR path, YOU get to decide... no one else should decide for you. Read & ponder. Use what feels right and discard the rest. As you grow you may find that you leave behind some beliefs and develop new ones and that's perfectly ok too.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

I was never comfortable with following, joining or accepting a religion, but I did join and accept some for myself for a time because of the work I do, the magick I practice and such. When I first started exploring my current path, I did so alone. Rather than reading or asking others about spirituality, my approach was simple: I found a way to meditate that was meaningful and productive for me, and - bit by bit - the spiritual awareness and perceptions I'd struggled with all my life began to clarify and make sense. Sometimes I'd go into meditation with a question; more often my only intent was to 'learn whatever it is I need to know'.

Eventually I got to longing for some kind of religion, to meet others who shared my religious perspectives, and my first encounters were in a Kabbalah class. I soon learned that there was a sort of language, belief system and rituals for a lot of the things, so I accepted that along with all the others, delighted to finally be able to talk about this stuff.

Over time, though, I became fairly frustrated with the assumptions and expectations associated with many of those beliefs, doctrines and rituals. But my disappointment really escalated when I learned that when you identified yourself as a Kabbalist you have to conform to the dogmas, rules and rites that the Kabbalah discipline has. They're as arrogant as telling someone how to worship God, how to do this, what is this, what is that, and if we don't accept it, no matter how open-hearted, or honest my dissent, we're going to hell. Sound very Christian, eh?

Well don't get me wrong, I don't think it's wrong to belong to one religion provided you don't become fanatical or dogmatic about it. It's great if you really want an anchor or foundation. But whatever religion you choose to follow, you should also teach yourself to be open to other belief systems that may, at first glance, be different from or contrary to your own.

What 'shamanism' boils down to is folks whose spiritual awareness informs their way of life, who value their Earthly and spiritual identities equally, and who connect with - and deeply honor - the Earth, her elements and energies, and her inhabitants on a spiritual/energetic level. Shamans are often healers and/or mentors, but not always. That's about the core of it, but there's strong sentiment among those who, I think, view shamanism more as a religion (a structure of beliefs and practices that must be learned through human teachers), who view the designation "shaman" as a title one has no right to without the approval of other shamans.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

NoahC wrote:I also thought about Shamanism, but I was told that there has to be a calling for that.
Shamanism is a way of "being," of living in connectedness, and of learning the tools to travel into the other worlds in order to retrieve information or cause effects on this plain. It can be practiced and lived by anyone with the will to put the time and energy into learning and practicing.

To be a "shaman" who is often termed as the "wounded healer" tends to be the term that is associated with being "called." To be a shaman, a wounded healer, it takes over your entire existence and makes you someone entirely different.

I know it's a little confusing, I hope I made it clearer. I wrote a short paper on this recently that may be worth digging out. But anyone can practice shamanism.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

I am about a year into my Pagan path (eclectic Wiccan) so I don't know if I'm as experienced as many others, but I think I might be able to help some. I guess it all depends on what you feel drawn to. In my case, I learned of my great grandmother (a white witch) and my aunt (a kind of eclectic witch) and I felt like I should also take up the path. When you stumble across a religion that seems to..."pop out" at you, you may want to take a closer look. When you say you keep coming back to this general area of Paganism that could be a sign that there is a path in Paganism that is right for you. I see you also thought of Shamanism, but you are worried about the calling situation. I feel like most paths of Paganism have "callings" of some kind. With Wicca a lot of people go through a near death experience or illness which can be seen as a calling. It's different for everyone and like I said before it's totally up to you and what you feel drawn to. People can give you ideas and examples all day, but it ultimately comes down to you.

Anyways, hope I helped. This is one of the very few times I have tried to help someone spiritually and I don't know how good I am at it.

Good luck,
-Aesiryth
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I'm accepting of almost everything, love and let live is my motto. I was looking for something that has very much to do with healing and helping others, and nature.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

NoahC wrote:I'm accepting of almost everything, love and let live is my motto. I was looking for something that has very much to do with healing and helping others, and nature.
I'd recommend Wicca because of the involvement of nature and connection you need with it to do celebrations and spells during certain events like the Solstices and Equinoxes. Wicca is also so open that you can do so much with it as long as you follow the general rules. It's a truly amazing path, you might want to do some research on it and see how you like it.
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

OMG I LOVE YOU AESIRYTH! I took your advice and looked into the depths of Wicca. And it fits better than my own skin! I did some meditating and barely a minute in I knew it was perfect!

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”