What would you call this? Ecletic Witch?

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Erydiel

What would you call this? Ecletic Witch?

Post by Erydiel »

Hello, everyone!
So, although I am still following the Wiccan path, I have also recently been researching Druidry, and as well as the Ancient Egyptian pantheon too. I feel like that the more I grow as a Pagan, the more branches I tend to research and follow. I think one of the big things that I have realized is that I just CAN'T follow only one straight path-just like with my hobbies, I also like different religions and the lessons that they teach.
So, what I'm trying to say out of all of this is that I now consider myself following multiple Paths to make my own Path. I know it may look confusing, but I can't help being this way.
So, does anyone have a term for this? I have heard of "ecletic witch", but I wonder if there are other terms as well. Something that wouldn't come up with bad images when trying to tell other non-Pagans what exactly my spiritual path is.
Also, is there anyone else that's like me in this way? I hope I'm not the only one haha.

Blessed Be,
Erydiel
May the light always guide you on a dreary day.
DPhoenix

Re: What would you call this?

Post by DPhoenix »

Erydiel wrote:Hello, everyone!
So, although I am still following the Wiccan path, I have also recently been researching Druidry, and as well as the Ancient Egyptian pantheon too. I feel like that the more I grow as a Pagan, the more branches I tend to research and follow. I think one of the big things that I have realized is that I just CAN'T follow only one straight path-just like with my hobbies, I also like different religions and the lessons that they teach.
So, what I'm trying to say out of all of this is that I now consider myself following multiple Paths to make my own Path. I know it may look confusing, but I can't help being this way.
So, does anyone have a term for this? I have heard of "ecletic witch", but I wonder if there are other terms as well. Something that wouldn't come up with bad images when trying to tell other non-Pagans what exactly my spiritual path is.
Also, is there anyone else that's like me in this way? I hope I'm not the only one haha.

Blessed Be,
Erydiel
Your just multi faceted is all. Spiritualist is also a broad term that covers just about anything. I'll tell you what I tell my gay friends, if they don't accept you then screw em! It's not your job to justify or water down your path to other people. Just follow your path. If judgement is a worry then you understand why witches of old kept their dealings secret.... course they were dealing with ignorant people who wanted to torture and burn them at the stake...
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

That's sort of how I am. :) I've always been drawn towards Celtic, but I've dabbled with Greek. Lately I'm feeling drawn towards Norse. I find Egyptian quite interesting though I've not gone down that road. I really enjoy learning, and I believe it's all connected anyway.

One of the things that I love so much about Paganism, is I don't believe any two paths are truly the same.You can be who you are, and follow what you believe. But just ignore them. To non-pagans, you can try to explain but a lot of them won't get it anyway. Just hopefully they respect your beliefs. It's really none of their business anyway. :)
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

I think that's pretty normal :D

I've personally been walking the druid path for a handful of years, and have recently started studying wicca. I never considered druidry a religion and never claimed any matron/patron god/desses, but was pretty exclusively celtic in my pantheon. Now I am leaning heavily toward norse. I don't find the two incongruent. You just gotta do you :)
Erydiel

Post by Erydiel »

Well, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that's this way! It's wonderful to go many different paths, since it is true that not every path is the same :)
May the light always guide you on a dreary day.
Lenea

Re: What would you call this? Ecletic Witch?

Post by Lenea »

If you wish, you can still call yourself wiccan, but if you begin to think you're an eclectic witch, you can use that term. Wicca, however, is neopaganic religion and take influences from old religions that wicca is based on.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

As free Spirits I think most of we Pagan-Wiccan-Witches are eclectic. Those who are not have limited themselves by locking into a specific Trad and becoming indentured to their Coven. I hang with a local group of eclectics and we take turns facilitating open Circles for kindred spirits. We each have private goals and varying degrees of accomplishment that requires us to design our own specific path to achieve our goals. One might be focused on becoming a good sorcerer and another might be seeking spiritual enlightenment. Enjoy your freedom to do as ye will.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

Since your doing it too make others more comfortable or have something to latch onto, you might use (DE - EST) That's phonetic because I'm not sure if diest would be the way to spell it. Having a love affair with comparative religion myself, I use that to at least start my explanation of my "religious" affiliation. and philosophy.
I just look at it as The Light and The Darkness. I explain it to them as a coin or the Yin-Yang sign. The coin has 3 sides just as the Yin-Yang has 3 parts. Lay a coin on a table. No matter the face shown, look across the table top. That's where I live. In the width of the coin. I see myself as an emissary of the light into the darkness. I neither hate, nor fear, the darkness. It is what defines me and gives me something to strive against. As to the Yin-Yang, there is the Yin, the Yang and the line which separates and defines them. They must exist together or there is no individual.

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”