Trying to figure out a path

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Pippen

Trying to figure out a path

Post by Pippen »

So my current belief is a bit hard to explain...

The concept is that there is no conscious 'god/goddess'. Rather, these 'gods/goddesses' are an accumulation of energy supplied by life and prayer. When people pray to whichever god they believe in, they are sending energy to that 'being', to be stored for later use. Some people are able to access this power and manipulate it, resulting in 'answered prayers' such as christian miracles, or Magic. People who train themselves to access this power, such as witches, are able to get effects when desired, while some people stumble upon it and believe some conscious 'god' granted their wish. I also believe that in groups, prayer/spellwork is more powerful, especially with trained minds in the group to direct the energy.

I also believe herbs, plants, and the earth, water, fire, and air all have their own power as well, and we can call on that power as witches to help us direct energy from this 'god/goddess' that we tap into. That is why witches use candles, oils, herbs, and such in spellwork, because it helps shape, channel, direct the energies they are calling forth into the shape they want, rather than blindly calling forth the energy to let it run rampant, which can have ill effects.

So... is this anywhere near any of the common beliefs out there, or did I just invent my own system? XD
Ula

Re: Trying to figure out a path

Post by Ula »

Pippen wrote:The concept is that there is no conscious 'god/goddess'. Rather, these 'gods/goddesses' are an accumulation of energy supplied by life and prayer. When people pray to whichever god they believe in, they are sending energy to that 'being', to be stored for later use.
I agree we give our energy to a god/goddess through prayer and worship. My view on actual entity and representation are not the same though. I would say that real vs. representation is a half/ half thing among pagans. Personally, I think there is a Creator, that the Holy Spirit is a force that moves on the Earth and Jesus is real. Deities to me work like angels. They are beings who are physical representations of personality traits. If you are a homemaker you choose a Goddess who is a suited to that as an example of how you should live. A warrior would choose that. That's why I don't like to use god or goddess. I am not sure if they are at that level.
I also believe herbs, plants, and the earth, water, fire, and air all have their own power as well, and we can call on that power as witches to help us direct energy from this 'god/goddess' that we tap into. That is why witches use candles, oils, herbs, and such in spell work, because it helps shape, channel, direct the energies they are calling forth into the shape they want, rather than blindly calling forth the energy to let it run rampant, which can have ill effects.
Definitely agree there. All living things have an energy. That's why colors, crystals, wood, herbs all have assigned properties. Even in Alchemy the elements represent both physical and spiritual aspects. I like working solitary but can imagine what a coven can do when they put their mind to it. :D
ravenhecateana

Post by ravenhecateana »

I definitely believe that when we pray or think about a God or Goddess that we send energy to them, but I personally believe that over the years with many many people sending energy to the same deity, that thought form becomes real. There have been scientific studies done on whether or not the human mind can manifest a thought form into a real entity, and some of these studies have concluded that it is possible. I remember reading one such case where a psychologist took a group of people into a house that was supposedly "haunted' and gave them a description of an entity that lived there. Except there wasn't any entity living there, the psychologist made it up, but he was the only one who knew that. After several months of this group meeting to contact this entity, they finally did manifest one that was exactly like what the psychologist described him to look like. The group had spent so much time and energy on this thought form that they did in the end create it. I wish could remember where I read that, but I don't.

At any rate, Hecate is definitely a very real entity with a very real personality.
Pippen

Post by Pippen »

Ok.. My main question still stands though, does my belief fall under a category of witchcraft? Is there a name for what I believe?
Ula

Post by Ula »

Pippen wrote:Ok.. My main question still stands though, does my belief fall under a category of witchcraft? Is there a name for what I believe?
Witchcraft, yes. Spell work is energy work. And there are plenty of witches who are atheist and worship no god/goddess. A specific name? No sure.
Miss Pixie

Post by Miss Pixie »

Your belief doesn't sound like any sect of witchcraft that I've ever heard of, but it does sound very interesting.

If you find yourself drawing information from many sources, you could be an eclectic witch.

"An individual may be creating his or her own tradition of beliefs and practices, and because this system can't be defined as something else, it can be defined as eclectic."

~ about.com
http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/wiccant ... cWicca.htm
Pippen

Post by Pippen »

Thanks. =D I finally have a name to put to it. x3
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Solitary witch, perhaps one with a bit of New Age flavor added to it.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”