Magical Properties of Hoja Santa?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Tornadofire-Sylva

Magical Properties of Hoja Santa?

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

I've got this plant all over my backyard, it has heart-shaped leaves and the blooms are these long, white hanging stalks. It's called Hoja Santa, and it's in the same family as Kava, and the plant that peppercorns come from. I know it doesn't have any medicinal properties, but I was wondering about its magical properties. Does anyone know?
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
random417

Re: Magical Properties of Hoja Santa?

Post by random417 »

Hmm... Don't write off the medical properties yet. If I'm recognizing it right, I found this:

This miraculous heart-shaped herb is nicknamed hoja santa (sacred leaf) and for good reason. Crushed up, it can applied to skin irritations, bug bites, and wounds to relieve discomfort. Infused into a hot tea, it can be used as a pain reliever and help soothe bronchial afflictions.

What to look for: Look out for a large heart-shaped leaf with a velvety texture.

http://www.laparios.com/costa-ricas-mos ... al-plants/
^ the link for confirmation.
I'll do some digging into the magical side as soon as I hunt up my Cunningham's.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Tornadofire-Sylva

Post by Tornadofire-Sylva »

Oh wow, I must have been looking in the wrong place for research. Thank you so much!
“If you’re going through hell, keep going.” -Winston Churchill
random417

Post by random417 »

Alright, i didn't see anything about magical properties either... Hmm... My guess, although it's been years since I've seen it in person, would be try using it for protection, and um... Numbing a situation? I would imagine you could create a space between you and someone/ a situation, but it might fill that space with a kind of dull numbness. Not having any here right now, i can only speculate though.
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
CoNiGMa

Post by CoNiGMa »

Hoja Santa is also known as Piper auritum and Yerba Santa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_auritum

It's magical properties according to this site are: Animals, beauty, healing, psychic powers, protection, strength
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

Hoja Santa I don't recognize but Yerba Santa is a popular one in most Santeria protection, healing spells as well as one for personal strength and increasing psychic powers and mental acuity spells that require herbs
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Here's a perfect example of "common name" mix up and the importance of knowing a plants botanical name if you are seriously in gaging in plant lore. Especially if one intends on ingesting the brews or burning them or putting on ones skin.

The plant Yerba Santa is known to me as this...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriodic ... lifornicum
As you can see they are not even of the same species.
Course the name boils down to "sacred leaf" santa= sacred, yerba= herb/plant ...and I would imagine there are many plants around the world considered sacred...right?

Another great mix up is Nightshade. Be careful with that one...one kind is much more toxic than the other!

Be absolutely certain about what you are using.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
CoNiGMa

Post by CoNiGMa »

The term "Yerba Santa" may refer to a wide range of plants considering the definition of the term when translated is "Sacred Plant" This could be any sacred plant. That's probably where the mix up came in.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

firebirdflys wrote: "sacred leaf" santa= sacred, yerba= herb/plant ...and I would imagine there are many plants around the world considered sacred...right?
CoNiGMa wrote: considering the definition of the term when translated is "Sacred Plant" This could be "any sacred plant.
Yep.
Except this is Spanish, so translate to whatever your local language is and I wonder how many different sacred plants we would come up with in the world! :lol:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I guess it's the season, so near Yule, but every time I read this topic title I see HoHo Santa. :surprisedwitch:
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Lol,at first I thought it was somebody's way of saying "hooray!Santa is here" or something like that.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think we need a topic on the magical properties of Old St. Nick, his sleigh and 8 mysterious reindeer. And what's with the red suit? Ho ho ho.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”