Ivy for home protection

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
seawitch Artist

Ivy for home protection

Post by seawitch Artist »

I'm in a central London flat with a communal covered veranda so I'm very restricted as to what I can grow, about an hour of direct sunlight early in the morning is all i get. I grow Geraniums in pots on the ground and Ivy in pots on the walls. Ivy is a great home protector, I havn't been burgled in the 20 years I live here, a place known around the insurance world as 'the Bermuda triangle'...because so much goes missing! I've had ivy outside most of time but it's usually died of something, that has changed as I've learned what to do and not, now my ivy is thriving and it looks great. However it is all in wall pots and I'm getting concerned it will outgrow them. What to do or expect. I've made a video of it, now nine months old so it's even better than you'll see!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHEtbw2Q9yI
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Ivy for home protection

Post by SpiritTalker »

Repotting would be required when the roots have multiplied and become so dense there is no room to take in nourishment. You can trim the vine, and trim the roots when they are too crowded, then repot in the same pot. If you don't want to trim the root, you can still divide the plant by cutting cleanly and repotting in two pots.

If you can't push your finger into the soil the roots are multiplying and too plentiful. Think like a plant...more root, more food.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”