Keeping Bugs Away from the Altar

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Falcon_Heart27

Keeping Bugs Away from the Altar

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Firstly, I have no idea where this should go, so mods, please move it if you see fit.

Secondly, I've recently been having a nasty little problem. With winter time, all the bugs come in (especially because I live in a very rural area), and lately I've been finding my altar and the floor around it *absolutely covered* in dead bugs. Gross, right?

I vacuum them away often, but more show up on a daily basis.

I'm getting ready to do a thorough vacuuming of my bedroom, individual cleaning of altar objects, washing the bed sheets, etc...

Does anyone know of a good way to get the bugs away from my altar? (Preferably, my room in general, but...)
Any kind of essential oil, herbs, etc....

I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
~Falcon
Vesca

Re: Keeping Bugs Away from the Altar

Post by Vesca »

I've heard of some people using essential herbs with some success, from what I remember they used peppermint and cinnamon (not together), but there seems to be a variety of different ones you could try and some seem to work better with some insects than others.

Here a link:
http://herbalacademyofne.com/2014/06/cr ... tial-oils/

I haven't tried these out personally, but hopefully some other members can weigh in here with their experiences. :)
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Vesca wrote:I've heard of some people using essential herbs with some success, from what I remember they used peppermint and cinnamon (not together), but there seems to be a variety of different ones you could try and some seem to work better with some insects than others.

Here a link:
http://herbalacademyofne.com/2014/06/cr ... tial-oils/

I haven't tried these out personally, but hopefully some other members can weigh in here with their experiences. :)
Thanks Vesca! I actually have quite a few of those oils in my medicine cabinet (thanks Nana), so I will try some of those when I get home. :D

~Falcon
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Citronella, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Lavender, Litsea, Tea Tree, Patchouli & Catnip, help with insects.

I use this blend as a mosquito repellant.
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

AdastraJunction wrote:Citronella, Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Lavender, Litsea, Tea Tree, Patchouli & Catnip, help with insects.

I use this blend as a mosquito repellant.
I've often used just (diluted) Eucalyptus for mosquitoes, works like a charm! :D

The bugs that seem to find their way to me are all little houseflies and Asian beetles ("orange ladybugs"... But they're not ladybugs.)
Also, one *really scary* looking pale earwig that scared me to tears. Ick. I hope there are no more of those around. (But there probably are.)

Today, I did a bunch of vacuuming and cleaned up most of the nastiness. But much to my dismay, they've already started coming back...I'll be making some spray, ASAP.

Thanks for all the input so far, I'll keep posted on what works.

~Falcon
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

I would look into how well your windows, doors and attic are sealed as well as any foundational cracks in the home that could be letting them in. If all else fails may need a professional in.
Falcon_Heart27

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

AdastraJunction wrote:I would look into how well your windows, doors and attic are sealed as well as any foundational cracks in the home that could be letting them in. If all else fails may need a professional in.

The foundation of the house is the problem. Our house was first built in the 1800s as a one-room schoolhouse with little to no foundation. Many years and several modifications later, it's livable, but the bugs are /inevitable/. It's just another part of the season for us.

Unfortunately, since I can't do much about the foundation, (and I've checked the windows, etc.), vacuuming and oils seems like my best bet.

Bottom line is: Country life, there's gonna be bugs. I'm just coping.

Thanks for the advice!

~Falcon
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”