Uses for graveyard dirt?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Allthepacas

Uses for graveyard dirt?

Post by Allthepacas »

I was wondering what the uses for graveyard dirt is?
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: Uses for graveyard dirt?

Post by AdastraJunction »

I have heard of graveyard dirt being used in love spells and curses because the dirt is endowed the spiritual energy of the people (or person)buried there. Not something I'd would recommend of course. Is there a reason you have graveyard dirt and a particular intention for using it? I would imagine that is offensive to the dead and may come with an attached spirit, so I'd would be careful with the things you acquire and do not know their purpose.
Allthepacas

Post by Allthepacas »

I wanted to use it as protection, I thought that maybe carrying around soil hallowed by souls at rest would dissipate negative energies. Maybe?
mustangurl68

Post by mustangurl68 »

I recommend making a protection satchel or taking another route such as cleansing and blessing your space and yourself. What if they aren't resting and you just attract the spiritual energy to you. I would be worried it could have the opposite effect of what your trying to achieve. I know during my cleansings and blessings I use dirt from the home or business I'm working on to put out my sage, cedar, and sweet grass. Then I return it to the corner of the property where I got it. Hope this helps.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Graveyard dirt usually use for curse and execration magick. To bring destruction, death, plague and pain. Some folks also say they are use for protection, binding and unhexing. Bones and coffin nails share similar purposes.

I don't recommend though to use it by beginners in magick even if your purpose is just for protection. I had pointed out before that objects can absorb energies, imprints and even entities. And such can't easily be vanished by mere smudging and cleansing.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

I personally have only ever used graveyard dirt for two things; a powerful protection powder (in this case i use graveyard dirt from the grave of my grandfather because ik he protects me even from the grave) and for family altars so they may be with us where ever i live.

However the list of things to use graveyard dirt for are limitless to be honest just keep in mind that Graveyard dirt is VERY advanced magic and VERY temperamental magic that can be used to enhance any spell/curse/hex and that when using graveyard dirt one dose not simply go to a graveyard and take it.

Here are some basics:

First
you need to think on what you are wishing to accomplish.
Are you trying to enhance a spell for writing? dancing? singing? art?
If so then you would want graveyard dirt from someone who had the creativity you are craving.
Are you asking for protection? Then think of someone who made you feel protected when they were alive or someone who you loved.
Really think about the spell you are trying to do and think of a person who you think embodies what your trying to accomplish.

Second
keep in mind who you are taking the dirt from.
Remember the person you are taking the dirt from effects your spell so you don't want to take dirt randomly and end up with a serial killer or somethings dirt and add all that negativity and just wrong energy into your spell.

Third
dont take without asking:
You need to make peace with who you are taking the dirt from; remember this is their dirt not yours you don't simply steal it you must make a trade. This might go best with someone you know then with someone you don't but simply take a offering of something that person would have loved in life and missed in death. A good rule of thumb though is to offer money simply because its a common trad offering if you do this i would suggest silver dollars because they are not so used anymore and are rare ie more important i guess you would say.
But for an example say i wish to get some dirt from my grandmother I would bring some morning glories, and vegetable soup. Why? Because those things hold meaning to me and her; purple morning glories were the plant she keep outside her front door and we watered them every day together, and veggie soup is the first thing she ever tough me to make along with grill cheeses :D . I would then sit and talk with her for a bit explaining why I wish for the dirt and how I ask for her blessing in taking the dirt. I would share my offering with her and then say a little prayer asking for her and the gods blessing and thanks for giving me the dirt to use for _____ purpose.

Fourth
keep the dirt in something that has been concentrated. Graveyard dirt is special for a reason. It adsorbs all the energy of those with whom it comes in contact with, hence why who you take it from is so important, and now that you have taken if from its spot with nature and it can not purify itself you and everyone who touches it will contaminate it with whatever energy you are carrying around even more so then most.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Great post BabyBear, unfortunately there lots of misconceptions out there about acquiring and using graveyard dirt.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Lol thank you :D
And sadly ik to many people nowadays don't think about the true meaning or take the time to learn their things this generation is all about doing and not truly thinking it's sad really :(
Ash

Post by Ash »

I was just researching this! Did you acquire the dirt from the ground yourself, or some other way? That has a big impact on using your dirt in ritual or spellwork. Leaving a tribute on the ground if you collect dirt is a decent way to protect yourself, but I think it's for pretty serious sympathetic or astral magick only.
TigerStorm

Post by TigerStorm »

Sorry to dig up old posts, I'm new and was browsing through various threads.

I have considered possibly using dirt from a Catholic cemetery. I have no plans to do so or spells in mind for it, it was just a pondering. The reason for thinking to do this is because Catholic cemetery grounds are consecrated/blessed by the Priest.

Being that I'm a Christian Wiccan, the fact that it was done by a Catholic doesn't bother me much. The fact that the Priest in question would still condemn me most likely bothers me a tad, but not a big deal to me.

Of course, with posts mentioned here, if I ever did, I would get dirt from a spot not directly around any graves. There's always walkways and areas where there aren't any graves (yet).
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

You do bring up a good point but i do believe it would be the same essentially and that it might actually be better because it IS blessed and consecrated.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”