Remedies for the stomach

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Neila

Remedies for the stomach

Post by Neila »

I have stomach issues for years now. It has got better, but from time to time I get terrible sharp pain, nausea and vomiting. My examinations turn out fine, I don't have ulcers, abnormal bacteria etc, which makes my doctor think it's probably something related to stress (I have agoraphobia and sometimes panic attacks). Anti-stress medicine makes me magically alright, too. But I don't want to rely on Xanax, plus I've run out of them, and I'd prefer a more natural way of dealing with it. Do you know any herbs that could help?
Siona

Re: Remedies for the stomach

Post by Siona »

Ginger is really good for nausea. A lot of people find ginger ale helps, but there's not actually a lot of ginger in it, and making ginger tea is usually a much better way to go. To make that you'll need some fresh ginger root, peel some of it, cut thin slices off of it, and boil them in water for about four minutes. Strain, and there's your tea - although you might want to add some honey if the ginger flavor is too strong on it's own.

Peppermint is another common home remedy. Peppermint candies, tea, that sort of thing.

Fennel tea is good for upset stomach in general, and for helping with digestion.

However, if large amounts of stress is the root of the problem you should look into tackling that. There are a lot of ways to deal with stress, like mediation, yoga, and so on. You might also consider going on a daily anti-anxiety medication, as well. There's nothing wrong with taking a prescription medication if you need it.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I really like crystallized ginger. It's almost like eating candy, and it works well to soothe a nervous or queasy stomach. I think you're wise to limit your reliance on Xanax or other benzos. One of my other go to remedies is getting lost in a good book. And venting here is an option.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Siona brought up a great one that I was going to suggest. I have Celiac Disease (which all my labwork came back normal the first round of testing when I was thirteen and it wasn't until I was twenty (I'm twenty now) that we found out I had Celiac. Peppermint really helps with the nausea and stomach pains I get sometimes.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
LoneWhiteWolf

Post by LoneWhiteWolf »

My friend is suffering with a troubled, she says licorice helps with her stomach problems, shes not fond of it but if it helps its worth a shot!
I also think peppermint and ginger are good!
Other then these wise old herbs, try a change in diet. Fatty greasy foods can cause issues. And red meat i think?
Im not too sure where im basing my words from, pretty sure ive read a thing or too here and there.
Have a google around and see what you can find out!

Xx
~ Feel the earth under your paws and explore. ~
~ Even the narrowest path could lead to the widest opening. ~
Winter Wind

Post by Winter Wind »

Maybe you should try Chamomile, it's a nice anti-anxiety herb.
Based in my personal experience, Chamomile makes a good combo with fennel. :D
Give it a try, but it might make you sleepy.
“To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
Beethoven
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Ginger, especially when taken fresh, aids digestion and soothes bellypains, aches and such! The best way to take it is to grate two teaspoons and mix with hot water. Steep for five minutes, stir slowly and drink!
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Neila

Post by Neila »

Thanks... I'll give them a try, if it happens again. :)

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”