herbal anti aging remedies

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravenstar

herbal anti aging remedies

Post by Ravenstar »

Does anyone know how to make an anti aging remedy? Blessings. :flyingwitch:
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Re: herbal anti aging remedies

Post by AdastraJunction »

Retinol is present in foods such as carrots, sweet potatoes, mangoes, raw spinach, apricots, cantaloupes, papayas, fat free milk, raw tomatoes, bell peppers, oranges, eggs and broccoli. Use vegetables that are raw and fresh. Rose hip seeds oil is another popular topical, but do not use it if you are pregnant because of the high amounts of vitamin A. There are many other oils too just cannot think of them at the moment
hecate8

Post by hecate8 »

Resveratrol and turmeric are exceptional antioxidants. Any others will slow the aging process as well.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

These aren't really herbal remedies, but here are some things I swear by. If some readers don't feel they need to be concerned about anything "ant-aging" at this point in their lives, these are still some good things to look into, for health reasons. Three things that I find really helpful as far as "the face" goes: 1. drinking lots of water, 2. getting lots of sleep, and 3. utilizing "natural" nutritional supplements, shea butter and chia seeds being my two current favs.

A well-hydrated face is like getting botox shots or something (without the botulism! lol). My complexion looks startling different (to me) when I do or don't drink plenty of water. Water seems to "fill in" facial lines, as well as keep skin and lips soft, and flush out toxins. The pores on my nose shrink, face powder goes on better, and my forehead seems smoother. I don't drink tap water, but regularly refill a bpa-free water cooler thingy and drink that (some of you might already know about the god-awful, polluted water in California I have ranted about).

It goes without saying that a good night's sleep is anti-aging. Lack of sleep not only shows in performance, but also on the face. Dark bags under the eyes are not the only casualty. I find the complexion itself suffers, and just looks all bumpy and "stressed," with a slightly greyish cast to it.

shea-butter-in-bowl.jpg
And shea butter...this stuff is just amazing! Don't "save money" by buying cheap, stinky, processed shea butter --you'll only waste money in the long run (and get grossed out), and have to throw it out. Buy fresh, raw shea butter from a reputable person. If you have oily skin, only put shea butter on the non-"t-zone" areas of the face, or it may break you out.

Here's a little blurb about it:

One of the more significant uses of raw shea butter is as an anti-aging treatment. In an outstanding six- month clinical study performed by F. Renard as part of his doctoral thesis, 30 participants used raw Shea Butter as a daily moisturiser. Within just a few weeks, the dull complexion of most participants had disappeared, and smoother, clearer skin was revealed. The research demonstrated that raw shea butter reduces thinning and activates the development of collagen. At the study’s conclusion, evidence of skin regeneration had occurred in all participants. More than half of the volunteers studied by Renard also exhibited a noticeable reduction in wrinkles caused by sun damage.

Raw shea butter...contains anti-aging properties proven to reduce wrinkles and also promotes the cell renewal process. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant with the ability to neutralize damaging free radicals (molecules that attack cells in our bodies damaging collagen and causing skin dryness and speeding up ageing) that cause lines, wrinkles and the signs of aging. Vitamin E is vital for healthy skin....Raw shea butter contains high levels of unsaponifiables. This is a type of fat which contains high concentrations of the healing elements of oils.....The moisturizers in raw shea butter are the same as those produced by the skin’s sebaceous glands, which are essential for the retention of moisture and elasticity.
Source: http://raw-sheabutter.com/

I really love this stuff!

Gwyneth Paltrow.jpg
Many celebrities swear by the benefits of ch-ch-ch-chia!
Guess it ain't just for chia-pets anymore. Read more here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... hink-.html

Chia seeds are great. Amongst a boatload of other good things, they provide a lot of amino acids, which also has an anti-aging effect on the skin. Amino acids are important for the production of collagen, and crucial to maintain nice skin. I keep a bag of chia seeds at work and at home, and sprinkle them all over my food. They don't have a taste.

On a final note, two "behavioral" things I think are also very anti-aging: doing things that are helpful to the world, and enjoying a passion of some sort. It's nice if they're the same thing, the same activity or whatever, but they don't have to be. "Aged" people tend to be rather self-centered. I think "worry lines" are the result of, well, worrying too much about the wrong, ego-centered things (but also somewhat hereditary, as well). When you volunteer in the community, you take the focus off yourself and care about the well-being of others. I think this encourages "youthfulness" in demeanor and attitude.

Also, people with a passion of some sort, anything --singing, golfing, collecting weird stuff-- have a sense of joyfulness about them that is really fun to be around. People with no interests seem kinda' boring and dull, always complaining about what they don't like. I've seen people in their 20s or younger seem so old and crotchety in their outlooks on life, and I've seen 90-year-olds full of joie de vivre, bright sparkle in their eyes. I have repeatedly read that a lack of significant mental stimulation encourages the onset of dementia-type cognitive problems, i.e., aging! So, I think not being engaged with the world is the most "aging" thing of all.

I know these aren't herbal remedies, but I hope you might find them helpful to your anti-aging endeavors! :)

YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Well, I can't really speak of any natural remedies, but I was told by a dermatologist to buy ampuls with hyaluronic acid and collagen and put them in my facial cream. I use Nivea cream for sensitive skin and it's texture is already light and nice and when you put the acid and collagen, it becomes even lighter.
A facial mask made of aspirin and honey does wonders for my complexion. Just make aspirin powder and mix with honey. Wash after about 15 - 20 minutes. This shouldn't be done more than 2 times a week and should be done at least 1 hour before you go out, because it makes the skin a little sun sensitive.
If you have a problematic skin with acne and such, mix some shaving cream (does not work with foam or gel) with baking soda and put on your face for about 10 minutes. Then wash with warm water.
Coffee sediment is wonderful for exfoliation. If you, like me, have a sensitive skin, you may want to mix it with a little bit of olive oil.
Like Kassandra said, shea butter does miracles for the skin. I would add coconut butter and mix the two, add some scented oil and make myself a fantastic body lotion.
And yes, these are not herbal remedies, but I also hope it helps.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I worked in the beauty industry for years (too many). Ive worked for and used every expensive product line you can imagine. Even the $300 creams from Chanel, Elemis and La Mer. They are all just hype.

I have recently discovered the best thing for my skin...OIL! My skin is always soft, breakout free, smooth, glowing and everyone thinks Im about 10 years younger than I really am. :D

Here is my routine:

Cleansing - Known as the oil cleansing method (google it to learn more). I do this morning and night with pure sweet almond oil. You can use olive oil, joboboa or whatever. I prefer almond oil but dont use it if you have a nut allergy. Place a small amount in your hand and rub it all over the face and neck. You can even add in a FEW drops (one or two is plenty) of an essential oil for your skin. I use grapefruit in the morning for clarifying. While you are rubbing the oil in let your water run really hot. Then place a washcloth in the hot water. Place over the face for a minute to steam the skin, then use the washcloth to "exfoliate" the skin as you wipe off all the oil. Then splash your face at the end with water.

In the morning I then apply Rosehip oil and follow with a light, all natural moisturizer with spf.

In the evening I just apply and leave on pure Argan Oil. I can not swear by this stuff enough. Whole Foods has a bottle that last me like two months and its only $10. Make sure you get PURE 100% Argan Oil only, not a product that is mixed with other things.

If you think of the people who tend to have oilier skin, they age slower and look younger.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

This oil method is not for everyone.
My mother tried it and swears it's incredible. Her skin looks fantastic, even though she is almost 65 (believe it or not, she actually has less wrinkles than I do, but I believe it to be because she is overweight and her face is wider). Her skin is actually oily and I thought it would be great for me - after all I have dry sensitive skin. Well, let's say I spent quite a sum on make - up to cover the pimples I got.
So, if you have a sensitive skin, I highly recommend consulting with a doc before trying anything.
But really, I've heard of it and many people swear by it.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

The herb list won't really help you look 21 forever, but at least it will allow you to age gracefully.

Antioxidants herbs will protect your skin and will stabilize the production of free radicals. They help in skin firming, reduce wrinkle appearance, treat scars and act like a sun block. The following are herbs the contain antioxidant compounds: garlic, ginger, grapes, green tea, milk thistle, oregano, peppermint, rosemary, sage, St.John's wort, turmeric.

Juicing can also take care of your skin. The best anti aging foods are mostly fruits and veggies look for some that are rich in A, C, K and E minerals; they will help keep your skin hydrated, nourished and revitalized. Try avocado, carrots, cucumbers, banana, and eggplant. Herbs that may help includes parsely, alfalfa, bilberry, gingko.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”