Bringing the Earth into Our Homes

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Falcon_Heart27

Bringing the Earth into Our Homes

Post by Falcon_Heart27 »

Hello, everyone! :)

I have been feeling a really strong pull to the forest lately, nature in general, and especially right now, the sky & outer-space.

Usually, I would go on a walk, communicate with the plants and animals, etc., but it's winter where I am and everything is dead/sleeping very soundly. (Plus, I can't focus my intent well when I try to go on nature walks in the freezing cold.) Also, there's the forever-existent problem of being many, many miles away from the stars and planets that seem to beckon me so intensely right now.

So, anyway! The question I came to ask!
How do you maintain a close connection with nature and the earth even when you can't be outside? It would be great to see people share their favorite spells, crafts, etc. and I may even post some of my own when I do a little more research.

(Also, I know that many people here feel connections with the earth, but has anyone tried to form connections with the sky/outer-space? I am feeling really drawn to it lately.)

I hope that this thread becomes a useful place to share our favorite ways of bringing the earth (and beyond) into our homes. (Also, I apologize if there's already a similar thread and I just haven't noticed.)

Bright Blessings,

~Falcon
springsgrace

Re: Bringing the Earth into Our Homes

Post by springsgrace »

Hello there!
Regarding nature, luckily for me it's summertime here so I'm able to go swimming and for walks and stuff but during winter it does get a little difficult. While I don't have a lot of experience with animals, I can tell you a little bit about plants:
I always keep an indoor garden year-round and it's very therapeutic for me since I identify a lot with Persephone, so growing plants comes very naturally to me :) . Assuming your house is warm enough, you can keep most sorts of plants, herbs etc. indoors. I currently have a baby sage plant and a selection of succulents/cacti which are both very accustomed to dry conditions and are very hard-wearing. I've also had micro-greens which are really fun to grow, since they grow very rapidly and taste amazing! You can grow some herbs on your windowsill which are also good for spellwork, or you could start growing plants from seeds so by springtime they are ready to be planted outside. I was actually planning to write a post of indoor gardens later, so I'll post that in this thread when I can :D
You could also take root cuttings of your outdoor plants and grow them in pots indoors, so by springtime you can give the new re-growth to friends to plant in their gardens. Or, if you can stand the cold, prune and prepare your garden for spring by cutting off rotting or dead branches/growths (wait until slightly later in the season though), protecting wooden parts of shrubs/bushes from getting rotten by covering in soil, moving vulnerable plants indoors, etc. If you believe in plant consciousness you might find them very grateful!

Regarding space, I find star-gazing (both casually and with star atlases) a lovely pastime. You'd be surprised at the things you can find both online and in second-hand book shops- heaps of star maps and guides to star-gazing! I've never tried to form a connection with outer space though, so perhaps I'm not one to answer. However, I know there's a bunch of pantheons and interesting things related to the solar system, so consider if this is a deity calling or something along those lines.
Hope I was some help to you! Blessed be, Falcon :)
| cerelia | oceania | eclectic wiccan |
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Im in New England and we are currently buried in 4 feet of snow and have another foot and a half coming, so I feel ya. Even if its cleared out enough to go outside its far too cold to be outside for too long.

The easiest thing is to bring elements of Earth inside. Plants would be the easiest way. I have a black thumb so I would get some of the easiest to care for if you are like me: bamboo, cactus, etc. I have bamboo plants in every room. I would love to get some aloe plants as well (very healing as well and can be used for different purposes).

Another of my favorite ways to connect to the element of the earth is with salt. I use epsom salts in my baths, so you can connect with both water and earth by doing this. You can make it into a small ritual by adding candles, essential oils, etc and use the time to mediate and connect to any deities you work with, etc.

Other elements you can bring inside and leave on your altar: stones, shells, tree branches, crystals etc. I even have an acorn on my altar for Lakshmi as it is a representation of fertility, abundance and prosperity.

I prefer to find all of these actually in nature instead of buying them. Whenever I do go out for walks (usually with my dog) I leave all distractions (cellphone) at home and really just enjoy my walk, noticing everything around me, and stopping to pick up rocks, branches, acorns etc. More personal connection to the area you live in this way to bring into your home.
LoneWhiteWolf

Post by LoneWhiteWolf »

The answer to something like this is.. Evergreens!
Pines never shed and stay green all year round, the whole tradition of bring one indoors during winter sparked christmas. However i dont think you should ditch the tree after xmas, i just think they look nice and should serve there purpous throughout winter!
Anyway~
Nature can give you all kinds of gifts if you brave the cold. Pinecones, stones, brances, or twigs can become part of youre indoor alter, that way nature comes back inside with you. Maybe take a few cuttings from an evergreen to liven things up!
I know things look miserable but everything needs to recharge so it can look its best in spring! :33
~ Feel the earth under your paws and explore. ~
~ Even the narrowest path could lead to the widest opening. ~

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”