Do I have to ingest herbs?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravenstar

Do I have to ingest herbs?

Post by Ravenstar »

To ingest herbs like in teas etc. Or drink potions? That just makes me nervous. Blessings. :fairy:
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Do I have to...

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Ingesting herbs isn't necessary unless you want to do so. Typically, herbs are ingested to aid internal ailments. There are herbal recipes that are applied externally like lotions, balms, essential oils, etc. If oral ingestion makes you nervous, you could try using herbs in a transcutaneous manner.
You don't have to do anything that makes you uncomfortable.
Siona

Re: Do I have to...

Post by Siona »

As was said, it's certainly not something you have to do, but there are also (depending on where you live) quite a few herbal teas sold in markets which are of course safe to drink. Chamomile and mint are pretty popular teas, for example, and either could be used in a ritual way, or even to soothe some physical issues (mint tea is sometimes used for nausea, for example). Same thing with a lot of the herbs used in cooking, mindfully cooking with herbs you might already be using is another way to ingest herbs in a safe way - in that setting it would be less for any medicinal benefits, and more for the spiritual ones.

So again, very much not something you ever have to include in your practice, and there are other ways to use herbs rather than ingesting them (like making a sachet), but there are also very many ways to include teas and such in safe ways, as well.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Do I have to ingest herbs?

Post by SnowCat »

Some herbs can be very pleasant to ingest. Celestial Seasonings really brought the herbal tea business into the mainstream. Other herbs can be not only unpleasant, but dangerous to ingest. If you have doubts about ingesting something, just say NO. There are always alternatives.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I guess it depends on what you are wanting the herbs to do? And what herbs you plan on using?

Some herbs are safe to be taken internally and some are not. There are many herbs you can use for healing that are safe to take in tincture/teas/syrups/capsules etc.
Lillady

Post by Lillady »

Just like the above responses, you most certainly do not have to ingest herbs. Never do anything you are not comfortable with. The only time I ingest them is via tea or through essential oil, incense etc. The herb will have the same effect no matter how you use it, remember it is the intent behind the use. Blessed Be.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”