Datura Essential Oil

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Yex

Datura Essential Oil

Post by Yex »

I know Datura is extremely dangerous, and I would never consider ingesting it. I wondering, though, if it would be safe to apply Datura essential oil to one's skin. Would the essential oil still contain tropane alkaloids?
love is the whole and more than all
Yex

Re: Datura Essential Oil

Post by Yex »

Well, I've ordered some Datura essential oil off of Ebay. The vendor assures me that it is safe to use on skin, and not hallucinogenic. I'll update here once I've used it, assuming all goes well. :wink2:

Assuming this is safe, it seems like a very good option for incorporating a plant which is traditionally very powerful magically, though dangerous to use, into ritual.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I would suggest using it very sparingly until you know how you react to it. Unless you want to be a headline on the evening news.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Yex

Post by Yex »

Yeah, if I do use it I will use a minuscule amount at first, although I'm having second thoughts, and might not use it at all. Better safe than sorry for this sort of thing.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Never heard of datura "essential" oil...sounds incredibly dangerous
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Yex

Post by Yex »

Yeah. I only ordered it because the vendor assured me that it was not hallucinogenic and that it was safe to use on skin, but I think I'll just throw it out when it arrives.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ya know... I'm intrigued. I found what you were speaking of, and it is a "blend" so while it may have some amount of datura, it sounds like he may have blended it down to be safe.
let us know when it arrives, maybe he has listed the other ingredients.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Datura is a tricky thing. The amount of toxic chemicals in one plant will differ from another, the concentration is different between the seeds, flowers, roots; and there are different species of the plant altogether which will naturally vary the chemical composition of the plant. Therefore, it's hard to say what you've actually ordered.

Take a gander:
http://www.psychonaut.com/other-psychoa ... atura.html

Take it with a grain of salt. And as always, be cautious.
Yex

Post by Yex »

It has come to my attention that the goddess I wanted to honor by incorporating the datura oil into my ritual was actually offended by my rash decision to order it, when I had no intention of consuming datura (nor was in a place where I should do so). I am making amends with her.

I should have listened to my better judgement. The oil is sitting in my mailbox. To-morrow, I will dispose of it.
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Ohh, Datura oil.
Well, while it might be dangerous it doesn't have to be! It would be a great waste if you decided to just dispose of it. When it arrives maybe you will find more info about the exact composition (especially the concentration!) on the label, you might also look for opinions on different forums - there are many datura fans and amateurs so I bet someone already tried this oil hoping to get high and shared their experience and opinion somewhere online.
If it turns out to be dangerous/poisonous you can always use it in spellwork, not necessarily on your body - it's always good to carry some deadly blends around in case you need to cast an extra powerful protection spell or un-do a curse/bad mojo ;)
Yex

Post by Yex »

Levitating Cat, in what ways could I incorporate the oil into spellwork?
Shub Niggurath

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Annointing regular candles, dressing vigil candles, making witch bottles and witch balls, mojo bags and just Rootwork in general.
You probably won't use it too often (depending on your practice - if you're practicing any left-handed works you'll use it more often ;)) but as long as you only use it in your Craft you can keep the oil for years to use when necessary.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”