Herb of the Month - Nettle

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
hedge*

Herb of the Month - Nettle

Post by hedge* »

Nettles are one of my favourite Plants for the simple fact that it was this Plant which started me on my journey to Herbalism.
When I was 5 I lived on a farm in Wales and on my way running down to the duck pond I fell, knees first, into a patch of stinging Nettles.
My mum proceeded to pick a handful of Dock Leaves and started rubbing them over my knees! I was amazed at how the Dock Leaves helped ease the stinging and equally amazed at how my mother knew that they would help.
So began my journey.......

Click on the link to see a picture of Nettles
http://www.beekeeping.com/apiforme/pictures/orties.jpg

Medicinal Properties:

Diuretic
Tonic
Astringent
Anti-allergenic

Nettles main use is as a cleansing, detoxifying herb. It has a diuretic action, due to its flavanoids and high potassium content and increases urine production and the elimination of waste products. It helps many skin conditions such as eczema and arthritis, especially when poor kidney function and fluid retention are a key factor.
Nettle slows down bleeding from wounds, nose bleeds and heavy menstrual bleeding. Make an infusion using 25g of fresh Herb per 750ml water and drink 4 times a day.
Nettle's anti-allergenic properties make it ideal for treating hay fever, asthma, and insect bites.
Ironically, the juice from the stems can be used to treat Nettle stings!
The Leaves help anaemia as they are high in Iron and also improves breat milk production. You can cook the fresh young Leaves and eat them like you would with Spinach.

CAUTION: Do not eat uncooked Leaves, they can cause kidney damage and poisoning!

Magical Properties

Nettle can be used to remove a curse and send it back, by stuffing a poppet with it or carrying it in a sachet. A pot of freshly cut nettle placed beneath a sickbed will aid in recovery. Used in purification sachets.

hedge

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”