Balcony Herbs

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
cloverfox

Balcony Herbs

Post by cloverfox »

I just moved into a new apartment and we have a little balcony/patio! I want to make good use of it and was thinking about doing some potted herbs. I have done some research online, and have gotten some great ideas, but wanted to hear your suggestions. What herbs are essential to you or any garden? What are any tips to taking good care? Time of year herbs or climate concerns? Also if you have pictures of your patio potted plants or garden, I'd love to see :) Maybe help me with ideas as to how to utilize the space best.

Also, I live in Texas if that helps with suggestions for heat and sunlight restrictions.

Thanks!
Kassandra

Re: Balcony Herbs

Post by Kassandra »

What direction does the porch generally face?

And how many hours of exposure does it currently get before shadows (from adjacent buildings/walls) cast over it?

cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

It is facing North, and I have a tree in front of it that provides shade, but there are little pockets of sun.

I went to Lowe's Garden Centre today and they didn't have any herbs! Except rosemary, and I am not planning on growing rosemary as I have access to it other places. I was disappointed.

But I texted my sister asking for advice because she has a garden and she instantly offered to take me to the nursery this weekend! Haha, she was so excited to have an excuse to go. She came and looked at my new balcony and showed me where the best place for basil was and is going to give me some help, but I'd still love to hear what you have to say! :) Thanks!

PS: I'm not sure of exposure times quite yet. I just moved in and haven't even gotten to enjoy my new home much this week since I have work and school, but hopefully this weekend!
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

I have some herbs on my balcony. To be honest, I am probably not the best person to give advice on herbs and plants as I grow many and have no idea how exactly. All I do is put them in a pot, water them and they grow. But I know from experience lavender and mint are easy to grow. And marigold too. These just want water every 2 days and that's about it. I'm going to try and raise anise now. Will be watching this thread :)
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

Yeah, my sister definitely mentioned mint! I should buy a little watering pot on Saturday as well! Time to make a list, haha. I'm excited.
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

Well, we took a drive out to the nursery today and it was lots of fun. I picked out some basil, purple thyme, sage and mint! I bought some pots to put them in, and need to walk over to Walmart this evening when it's cooler and pick up some soil. I will post a picture later when I have it all set up! :)
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

Okay, so here is a picture of the herbs I got today. Not much, but I need to start small. Can anyone tell what I got?!

I just took this picture so there is no sunlight (8pm), but I do get some good sun midday and now need to bring in this wonderful sun and moon chair to prop some of the herbs on. I will take a picture of that once I get it from my dad's house. It is awesome.
Attachments
CAM00049.jpg
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oooo I'll bite. Looks like ...from left to right, thyme, sage, , mint?, and basil.

I wanted to add, if your balcony faces north you will need shade plants mostly.
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

Haha, you got it! Yeah, my sis suggested some part shade plants, but there is a substantial amount of sun mid-day, so I'm just hoping it's enough!

Thanks for the tip, I may get more shady things next time.

Oh, and I guess the mint one is technically peppermint, there were so many different kinds of mint like chocolate mint, spearmint and orange mint, but I ended on this one, ha.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Because of the position of the sun in the sky at summer you should do alright with the herbs, however when winter arrives the sun will ride much lower in the sky and you will probably experience more shade.
nice choice of herbs!
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I thought I killed the basil the other day, I noticed it was all wilty then realized I had not watered!! I watered it immediately, and it was fine by that evening. Resilient little plant that is. I'm getting into the habit of daily watering by leaving the blinds open to the balcony so I will see them and know to do it. Otherwise they are doing well.
Mashiigwe

Post by Mashiigwe »

YAY Mints! Basil is a mint. Sages are in the mint family. Look at the stems: square in cross section, with opposite leaves. Your herbs look lovely. I know this is an older post, but I'm a plant nut and think growing gardens of any size is a nifty thing. Sweetgrass can be grown in pots too. not a typical herby kind of plant, but a very important one. Up here in northern Michigan, it needs as much sun as possible, but as ya go south, it needs a bit of shade throughout the day along with direct sun. If anyone is interested, I can steer them towards sweetgrass starts.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”