Anything good for sore throats?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Sakura Blossom

Anything good for sore throats?

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I just got diagnosed with mono and I'm hoping to find something that maybe I can gargle that will help with the sore throat? Or even the cough... I have my aromatherapy book somewhere but I'm too tired to even go looking for it.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Re: Anything good for sore throats?

Post by Seraphin »

I have two natural remedies for sore throat!

First is salt water gargle -- Add a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. Stir it thoroughly until the rock dissolves and gargle. Repeat about three times a day, after meals.

Second is Honey-Ginger syrup -- Peel and cut the root into long thin strips, place it in a stainless a pan or casserole (don't use aluminum), add honey, and let it sit over a medium-low setting, for six to eight hours. While it's still hot, take the thins slices of ginger out from the honey; toss the root and store the ginger syrup in a glass container with a good seal (plastic may leech into the syrup). This should keep a long time if stored in a dark cupboard but you can also refrigerate it.

Amounts: Depends on how strong you want the ginger to be. I'd start with three tablespoons of sliced ginger per 1/3 cup of honey, then next time you make it, adjust the amount, if necessary, according to your need.

Add the syrup when making your tea.

Hoping for your fast healing Sakura, Bless you.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Thank you very much! Now my cough is the worst. Dx I saw though, that the honey can work with a cough. Thank you so much for your help and well wishes.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

You are more than welcome, I'm glad I was able to help.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
TraceyC1959

Post by TraceyC1959 »

Salt water is something I swear up on when I have a sore throat, it's not long term but it does help to ease the pain caused from say a throat infection. I was reading earlier about Thyme being good for throat infections so that may be worth looking up.

Honey is great for a cough, I sure hope your cough clears soon :)
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

Salt has always been too harsh for me, but my go-to home remedy is lemon tea with honey added. You can make a cuppa as needed.
Mashiigwe

Post by Mashiigwe »

I've had good luck with a tea made from the reddish flower heads of staghorn sumac. Don't know if it's available to buy anywhere if you can't gather, but it should be 'cause it is pretty effective and tastes really good.
GreenGato

Post by GreenGato »

Mullen! It's fantastic, it helps not only when I have a sore throat but also when my asthma's acting up.

I take the extract but some people combine mullen and eucalyptus in a bowl and pour hot water on them and throw a towel over their heads and the bowl so they can inhale the vapor.

You can find it in the little plastic bags in the spice sections of Mexican grocery stores.
eight

Post by eight »

Sage tea (using either new or dried leafs) is a really powerful remedy :fairy:
random417

Post by random417 »

*wonders how sage tea with honey ginger syrup would taste* I have sage and a bit of ginger, but no honey at the moment
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Neila

Post by Neila »

I know the thread is old, but I just got past a bad cold, with a sore throat and runny nose and found out that green tea with mint really helps. Green tea has antibacterial properties and smelling the mint helps with the runny nose. Also it leaves you with a fresh feeling, removing this sick taste and smell of the cold. Although I haven't tried it, I bet you could add chamomile, for added soothing and antibacterial effect, and honey.
Another one you could try is sage, as "eight" said, it's known to be really effective with pharyngitis.
Ash

Post by Ash »

If you're a tea person, try grating a spoonful of ginger, adding a dollop of honey, and covering with hot water to make a tea. It feels awesome if your throat is sore, plus ginger is great at clearing your throat. Feel better soon (:
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

That's a good idea! I'll try that next time! (: I have heard ginger is really good for that sort of thing.

random417

Post by random417 »

Someone's looking out for me up there though, I'm just starting to getsick, so I'll try some of this
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”