Requesting Herbalist Assisstance

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
kalicokitty

Requesting Herbalist Assisstance

Post by kalicokitty »

My kitty has a fat lip, and I don't really have the money to take her to the vet. :c She acts fine, she does not appear to be in pain, and has let me examine her lower (the swollen) lip. It doesn't seem tender or anything...Just saying. If I thought this was a serious, life-threatening emergency or she was in pain, I'd find a way to take her to a vet. Anyways, someone said it could be an abscess in her chin or lip caused by the use of plastic food or water bowl (is this even legit???) and i thought it was plausible, she has a plastic kitty food bowl. I have already stopped using the bowl and switched to a ceramic or metal (whichever is clean) bowl. I was wondering if there were any kitty-friendly herbal things i could do to make the swelling go down and whatnot. My mom is an aspiring herbalist so we have a lot of different medicinal plants dried and stored around my house as well as oils, salves, and I think she has a few tinctures... Please help! Thanks!!
"There is nothing more melodic, than the purring of a cat."
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Requesting Herbalist Assisstance

Post by Firebird »

Maybe Aloe? I would check to make sure that aloe is safe to put on a cat or for it to ingest. I wonder if it was stung by a bee? you said it doesn't appear to be hurting...Tooth issue maybe, how do they act when eating?
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

She doesn't go outside, so it's not a bee sting. And she acts fine while she eats. She's even let me look in her mouth a few times. I looked and smelled. I couldn't detect anything other than a mild case of cat-breath, lol.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

have you changed her food here lately, and yes plastic can do that its best to use ceramic if im not mistaken
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

Her bowl is definitely no longer plastic. I had no idea a plastic bowl could cause an abscess! I don't free feed my kitty, she gets a specific amount every day so she doesn't become grossly overweight. I feed her according to the directions on her food bag and she ways it all so the food does not go bad. The bag has a Ziploc and i always close it up after i use it so i don't think it could be her food.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

It's possibly time for a trip to the vet, could be a tumor or other growth of some kind.
FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
Philomena

Post by Philomena »

I would be very careful trying anything herbal without making sure it safe. Certain animals can be very sensitive or be prone to reaction from different plants. Also, if you have ruled out the dish and it hasn't gone away yet I personally would try to get to the vet. It could help you catch anything early if that is the case. I'm sending healing thoughts you and your kitty's way!
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Dental issues are very common and spread into the subcutaneous tissues eg a dental abscess.

Especially likely if your cat has bad breath.

As with humans, this can be quite painful to a cat. Your cat needs to be seen by a vet and sometimes the offending tooth needs removal, after a course of antibiotics.

If you don't have the money, then contact your animal protection society and they might be able to direct you to someone who can help you to ensure than kitty gets the right care. There is a good chance it is painful to her and might eventually affect her ability to eat and drink. The treatment for any abscess is drainage.

If you ring the vet and have a chat they might be able to help you troubleshoot it, which would be free. Hope kitty is better soon.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

Update, I have scraped enough money for the office visit, Simetra will be seeing the vet I interned under on Monday. Don't know how I'll pay for antibiotics that I'm sure will be prescribed, but her lip *might* be working itself out now (ya know, because I made a Dr appointment! lol). I hope it's not just wishful thinking on my part, but we shall see.
Klia

Post by Klia »

I thought Aloe was poisonous to cats.

My cat gets the same thing once in a while. It's just a hypoallegry, says my vet. It's caused by eating out of unclean bowls and maybe dirty litter boxes (when she scratches it gets into the cuts).
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
kalicokitty

Post by kalicokitty »

The vet said it was a condition called 'big chin.' She said it will swell and recede. She gave her a shot of penicillin and prescribed some pills. My amazing mother floated me the cash for Simetra's medication .. Her lip looks a lot better
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Glad you we able to get her all fixed up...Blessings Kalico, and to Simetra too!
FF
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”