Herbal remedies for eye infections

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Ravencry

Herbal remedies for eye infections

Post by Ravencry »

I have an eye infection and looked up a bit of remedies for it, so I thought that I would post them up in case anyone needs the information :D Eye infections are unbearable!

Compress: Use five drops of tincture in ¼ cup water or steep 1 tsp. herb in 1 cup hot water for 5 to 10 minutes and strain. Soak cloth or gauze in solution and apply to the eyes for 10 minutes, three to four times a day.

Eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis): helps fight infection and dry up excess fluid, specific for eyes
Chamomile (Matricaria recutita): helps fight infection
Fennel seed (Foeniculum vulgare): helps fight infection
Marigold (Calendula officinalis): soothes irritation
Plantain (Plantago lanceolata, P. major): astringent and soothing. The fresh leaves are the most effective plant part.
Flaxseed (Linum usitat issimum): as a soothing poultice made with 1 oz. of bruised flaxseed steeped for 15 minutes in 4 oz. of water, wrapped in cheesecloth, then applied directly to the affected eye.
Grated fresh potato has astringent (drying and disinfecting) properties. Wrap in cheesecloth and apply.
Use above herbs singly or in combination: Mix equal parts together then steep 1 tsp. herb in 1 cup of hot water to make a tea. Cool before administering to the eye.

Eyewash: goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) and boric acid: 10 drops of goldenseal tincture with 1 tsp. of boric acid in 1 cup of water.

You should wash your hands and anything else that comes into contact with your face or eyes before and after. touching yourself. Use clean tissues, towels, handkerchiefs, etc.

thought that last bit was needed, also, because thats how I got the infection in the first place!
Blackpearl

Re: Herbal remedies for eye infections

Post by Blackpearl »

Thank you so much for the remedies! I'm suffering from an eye infectiion also. This will be so helpful!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Your welcome! I wish you swift recovery! My eye infection cleared up after keeping a cold compress on it last night and changing it every time that I woke up. This morning I put it on, wiped my eye clean and was surprised with how fast just plain water worked for me. It worked better than the disinfecting eyedrops I was using. I just hope that I didn't jinx myself right now, lol!
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Sticky ;) This is good information. Thank you for sharing Ravencry. This should help many people. :)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
Althara

Post by Althara »

Can everyone please remember to go to the doctors as well! Eyes are delicate things, if your irritation/infection lasts longer than a couple of days you should ALWAYS go see your doctor in case it's something serious and you need high-strength antibiotics!

Also remember your allergy testing before using anything near your eyes - test on your inner elbow, wait ten mintues. If no reaction, assume safe to use.

Blessed be!
Elluir

Post by Elluir »

^
Althara is quite correct. The vast majority of eye infections are viral and will go away on their own. The great suggestions above will help alleviate symptoms until your body takes mobilizes its immune system and takes it down. Bacterial infections are another matter entirely. In developing countries bacterial eye infections are the #1 cause of blindness. Please if it is severe or lasts more than a few days hit up urgent care.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”