Carrier Oils

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
hedge*

Carrier Oils

Post by hedge* »

There are a lot of different types of carrier oils you can use for herbal preperations. I thought I would take some of the confusion out of choosing which one is best used.

Light Coconut:

This oil is easily absorbed by the skin and is long lasting and nutritious. It is well suited to all kinds of cosmetic preperations such as hair products, bath oils and perfume blends.

Sweet Almond:

This is a light and nutritious oil, rich in vitamins and proteins. Easily absorbed by the skin, its softening, nourishing and revitalising properties make it especially suitable for dry, itchy and inflamed skin. Ideal for massage blends.

Grapeseed:

Slightly denser oil, rich in vitamins,minerals and proteins. Not absorbed quite so easily by the skin, it is suitable as an inexpensive base for general massage or bath oil blends.

Wheatgerm:

This oil is well known for its high vitamin E content. It is a thick,heavy,slightly scented oil not easily absorbed by the skin. It is rich in proteins,minerals and vitamins and is especially suitable for skin conditions such as eczema,psoriasis and prematurely aged skin( get me a bucketful!!). Its antioxidant properties make it an ideal natural preservative for creative blends, or blends that you won't use often.

Jojoba:

A rich, thick oil that solidifies at just below normal room temperature. This oil is especially therapeutic as it is not only rich in minerals and proteins but also contains a compound similar to collagen, thus making it especially suitable for tissue repair and healing blends. Its highly nutritious and penetrative qualities make it ideal for inflamed skin conditions, acne, eczema and psoriasis. Also good for use in hair care and manicure blends.

Evening Primrose:

This special oil rightly deserves its reputation as a magic tonic and revitaliser for the skin. it is rich in vitamins and minerals and also contains the highly beneficial gamma linolenic acid. it is a wonderful healing oil for all preperations, but it is expensive.

Avacado:

This oil is a dark green,rich and heavy, slightly fragrant oil derived from the Avacado fruit. It is highly nutritios containing oodles of vitamins and minerals, fatty acids and lecithin. despite its thick texture, Avacado oil is easily absorbed by the deeper layers of the skin. It is an ideal moisturiser for dry and dehydreated skin.

hedge
Matt*

Carrier Oils

Post by Matt* »

I normally use a mix of Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil

I find it gives the right consistency

Matt
Am I awake or am I still dreaming?
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

I'd like to add that Aloe Vera, while not an oil, is also very helpful. I use it when I blend oils for acne, burns, insect bites, etc, usually with some rosewater for the right consistency.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight
Matt*

Post by Matt* »

I think i read somewhere that Sweet Almond Oil is an irritant, and should not be used by people with skin conditions, such as eczema

Is this right Hedge????

Matt :?
Am I awake or am I still dreaming?
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Sweet Almond oil is especially good for eczema, but like all things, if you suffer from this complaint you need to ask your qualified dermatologist before using.

hedge
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Cool Stuff Hedge. I always incorporate oils into personal mist sprays and other spellwork, but our local witch vendor makes her own magical blends that are simply delightful. I always use her stuff. Nevertheless, Sweet Almond Oil and Evening Primrose are both awesome. (by the way you should see the primroses in our garden right now--so yellow and lovely!!). Thanks for the post!

Light,
bsp
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Personal mist sprays? Sounds interesting bsp, care to elaborate :D

hedge

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”