Weather lore and predicting the weather

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Tylluan

Weather lore and predicting the weather

Post by Tylluan »

I love country weather folklore, predicting the weather by looking at the sky and what is going on round you is a dying art. So to help revive it here are some Weather predicting hints, tips and sayings :D

Clouds are one of the best forms of weather prediction.

HIgh Clouds:
CIRRUS - Fragmented, wispy curls of white ice crystals. They usually occur in fair weather and indicate no rain. CIRROCUMULUS - these are smalls wispy white blobs. In Northern latitudes they indicate cold but fine weather. No Rain.
CIRROSTRATUS - A widespread layer of cloud. Tend to thicken into altostratus when a warm front approaches. No rain.

Medium Clouds:
ALTOCUMULUS - known to me as 'Mackeral sky' as they appear in strips like the stripes on a Mackeral. Sometimes they appear with coloured rings around the Moon or sun. These clouds appear on humid summer mornings and are often a sign of thunderstorms later in the day.
ALTOSTRAUS - Uniform layers of white or grey cloud, with the sun barely visible. Indicate continuous rain or snow.
NIMBOSTRATUS - a thick layer of dark, low level cloud that produces heavy prolonged rain fall, or snow if cold enough.

Low Clouds:
STRATOCUMULUS - Low, lumpy patches, or sheets of light or dark grey clouds. When with north winds they indicate clearing skies and cool temperatures. When with south winds incidates showers, West they indicate clearing skies, and east indicates stormy weather.
STRATUS - Low, white or grey cloud, which obscures the sun or moon when thick. Can have considerable rain when over hills or on the coastline.
CUMULUS – Scattered puffs of white clouds with rounded tops and bottoms. Generally indicate fair weather, with light showers possible.
CUMULONIMBUS – Massive heaped clouds. Sometimes the cloud is the shape of an anvil as the top consists of ice particles, while the lower dark section contains water droplets. Is an indication of bad weather, heavy rain, thunderstorms or hail. Sometimes all three with blustery winds.

Open faced flowers such as daisies, start to close up their petals before it starts to rain.

If there are lots of bees, wasps and butterflies around you can be confident that it will be fine weather. If they disappear it means that rain is coming.

Predicting bad weather with Weather Lore:

-Red Sky at night, shepherd’s delight. Red Sky in the morning, Shepherd’s warning.
-Haloes around the moon or sun mean that rain will surely come.
-Moss dry, sunny sky. Moss wet, rain you’ll get.
-Flies will swarm before a storm.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”