Some Pictures of hedgies Garden

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

That is cool. All my garden is in pots as we only have a terrace. The only extra care you need to take with them is watering, water them in the morning during the full heat of summer. Other than that, treat them just like you would if they were planted directly in the ground. I even grow Garlic and green Beans in pots.

hedge
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Chaz I had never grown things in pots before ( apart from a few herbs )
so when I moved here it was all very new to me. My entire garden is tiled and as we only rent it, I resisted the urge to dig up a load of tiles!! :lol:
I have had some disasters believe me, but through trial and error I think I've cracked it. I have grown Garlic, Cucumbers, Tomatoes and Runner Beans all successfully in pots and I'm allready planning my garden for next year!
I'm gonna plant all the above plus Aubergines, Pumpkin, Onions, Potatoes and Luttuces. I'm sure there'll be more added to the list. :D
Hera#76

green

Post by Hera#76 »

I grow the majority of my herbs from seed, I have also grown lots of different lettuces, tomatoes, spring onions, onions, courgettes, purple broccoli and beetroot all from seed. If you start them off inside in propagators then move them into pots and put them in a greenhouse or in warmth they are pretty hardy plants and as long as you wter them they work wonders.

What I am not so hot on are the flowers. Anyone got any tips and suggestions for the best ones to sart out with - bearing in mind I live in Britain, the rain capital of the world!
Bubbles float because they are light and happy; don't let life wear you down!
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hello Hera :D
Bulbs are a great thing to grow and so easy, you''ve still got time to plant Tulips and Daffodils ( your national Flower :D ) Freesias ( my favourite Flower ) Iris, Hyacinths, there's lots more that I can't think of right now. My mum sent me a load of Snowdrop and Crocus Bulbs which I planted in December, I can't wait to see if they do alright here, I live in Spain and I've been experimenting with all sorts of unnative flora. Sunflowers are easy to grow too, when I lived in the U.K my Sunflowers were the talk of the neighbourhood, you can just plant them straight into the ground around the middle of May, just make sure they're in a sunny position and water them well on the days it doesn't rain. LOL!
Chinese Anemones are easy to grow too, though I've not started them from Seeds, I bought a small Plant which was only a few quid from the market and it grows so quickly and needs very little care. It has lush green foliage al year round and then a wonderful bloom of Flowers from spring through to autumn.
if I think of any more I'll let you know.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

My Snow drops and crocuses all bloomed this year, had a wonderful display!
Here's some piccies of my garden I took today.
[Kristin]

Lovely

Post by [Kristin] »

Your garden is just beautiful. I love plants and gardening. So here goes a question. I am having trouble starting an avocado plant. I have tried so many times with so many seeds. Nothing has worked. Any advice?
This makes a lovely plant/tree depending on how well you take care of it.
Help!
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I'm actually growing an Avocado at the moment. Did you let the pip set in water until the Root appeared? You need to do this first before you plant it into soil.
[Kristin]

yes

Post by [Kristin] »

I have tried this many times. I guess I will keep trying .....I know that the seed must be in half-way in a glass with water until it splits and sprouts.
Avocado season is in right now. Will try again!!!! Thanks :wink:
Arianna

Post by Arianna »

I love your garden Hedge, it's quite lovely.

As for my own... I wish I had one. I want to plant my own herbs, since they are much better at helping your body than medication, and it's soothing and relaxing to have the aroma as well.

I have a cactus named Diego... and sadly I think he is not going to make it. If summer comes, and he lives that long, I think maybe he'll pull through, but I'm not sure. Here's hoping.

As for planting garlic, is there a smell that comes from the plants? If so, is it the same smell as the spice you get in stores? I LOVE the smell of garlic... hehe... I'm a strange one.

As for lillies... I LOVE lillies, they are my faves. I love Easter Lillies, although they are constantly used in Catholic churches.... hence Easter lillies. *sigh* their smell is so wonderful. Do they have another name so I can stop calling them that? I think maybe they are Trumpet lillies or something.
Kristofski

Post by Kristofski »

hedgewitch wrote:Hello Hera :D
Bulbs are a great thing to grow and so easy, you''ve still got time to plant Tulips and Daffodils ( your national Flower :D )
Actually daffodils are only the national flower of Wales (and Leeks are their national vegetables :) )
Personally, I'm a Yorkshire boy, so it's all about the white rose :D
Hera#76

Post by Hera#76 »

Well i am from Scotland so my national flower is a thistle, which is also classed as a weed.
:lol:
Bubbles float because they are light and happy; don't let life wear you down!
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

((garden envy))... :wink: ~I'll post a photo of mine soon too... at least this year my dog didn't eat it all up- just her grass patch. :28:

Here's a question, Hedge-- last year I rescued a spearmint plant that was in need of lots of love. She recuperated very well, but then became gnat-food and even though she tried as hard as she could to make some pretty green leaves for me, they'd all die before they grew to full size.
At this point Ruffles (the plant in question, I name my plants) has actually become just a bunch of sticks in wet dirt. My friend had said his did the same thing but then began to bloom again in the spring time, so I've been continuing to water the poor thing, but really I'd say there's no more life in there at all.
So, my question- have you ever had this experience with spearmint? And if so, have you ever heard of a plant re-birth like what my friend swears will occur?

Thanks for your help! :28:

~BB~

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”