Starting a Herb Garden

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

Is it too late in the season to start anything now? I am not very good with plants unfortunately, they kind of die on me :( Anything I can plant now, in the pots to be kept at home? Just something pretty or nice smelling, I don't know other uses yet.
Thanks!
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

I plant things all year round, sometimes they take and other times they don't.

Why don't you go to the garden centre and buy a couple of cheap Plants that are allready established, you needn't spend a lot of money.
Some good houseplants are African Violet, Spider Plant,Peace Lily and Geraniums, these can all be bought cheaply.

You can start off Parsley, Chives and Basil by sowing Seeds indoors now.
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

hedgewitch wrote: Some good houseplants are African Violet, Spider Plant,Peace Lily and Geraniums, these can all be bought cheaply.
You can start off Parsley, Chives and Basil by sowing Seeds indoors now.
Thanks! I will look for those. Do Parsley, Chives, and Basil need full sun? I have very narrow windowsills and a cat that likes to be on them :(
I actually went out on a weekend and bought Aloe Vera and a little Cactus :D My grandma used to have Aloe Vera, so it reminded me of her. And the little cactus just called to me, it looked so battered in the store. I hope they both live. I replanted them and hope to take good care of them. :D
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”