Herb of the month - Lavender

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
hedge*

Herb of the month - Lavender

Post by hedge* »

Lavender ( Lavandula angustufolia )
Click the link below to see a photo of Lavender.

http://www.gardenguides.com/seedcatalog ... r-bulk.jpg

Everyone knows Lavender, and I’ve yet to meet someone who doesn’t enjoy it’s heady scent. It is most widely known for aromatherapy use but it has medicinal qualities as well, being used as such since the late middle ages.

Medicinal Properties:

· Carminative ( relieves digestive gas and indigestion )
· Relieves muscle spasms
· Antidepressant
· Antiseptic and antibacterial
· Stimulates blood flow

Lavender is well known for it’s relaxing and calming effect and can be combined with other sedative Herbs to relieve sleeplessness, irritability, headaches and migraines. For insomnia you can add half to one teaspoon of tincture of Lavender in a cup of water and drink before going to bed.
Lavender has a high volatile oil content and because of this can soothe indigestion and colic. Take as an infusion ( tea ) by adding 1 teaspoon of dried or 2 teaspoons fresh Lavender and steep in a cupful of boiling water for 10 mins, strain and drink. You might want to add Honey.
The essential oil of Lavender is an invaluable first aid remedy as it is strongly antiseptic, helping to heal burns, wounds and sores. Rubbed onto insect bites it relieves pain and inflammation. Massage a few diluted drops ( one part essential oil to one part carrier oil ) on the temples to ease headaches and massage on stiff and aching joints. 5 drops added to a bath at night soothes muscle tension, and tones the nervous system.
Sachets of dried Lavender placed in linen and clothes cupboards will help deter moths, and make them smell lovely.

CAUTION: Do not take essential oil internally except under medical supervision.

Magical Properties:

Lavender is a Herb used for inner peace, purification, meditation, protection, health, spiritual love, understanding, mental clarity, birthing rites and new beginnings.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Hedge, do you know anything about Ylang Ylang flower by any chance? I have this totally weird attraction to the scent and I'd love to know where to start to discover why. Thanks! :28:
(And yumm, lavender- so very nice and relaxing.)
Fanny

Post by Fanny »

MoonStone wrote:Hedge, do you know anything about Ylang Ylang flower by any chance? I have this totally weird attraction to the scent and I'd love to know where to start to discover why. Thanks! :28:
(And yumm, lavender- so very nice and relaxing.)
I know you askes Hedge ...but I wouls like to say....all I know about ylang ylang is thats it's a aphrodesiac(sp) :lol: :lol: just wanted to let you know ... :lol: use it wisely :wink:
Never regret anything, because at one point ...it was exacly what you wanted!
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Well Fanny, I'm married, so my days of indiscretion are far gone. *sigh* Kind of sad actually. :?
Fanny

Post by Fanny »

MoonStone wrote:Well Fanny, I'm married, so my days of indiscretion are far gone. *sigh* Kind of sad actually. :?
:lol: married life should be fun ...not sad ... :lol: maybe you just need to spice it up a little ... :wink: with Ylang Ylang :lol:
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Ylang-Ylang is beautiful isn't it. As Fanny rightly said it is most commonly used as an aphrodisiac and can help with impotence but it does have other properties too :D
The Flowers and essential oil are sedative and antiseptic and it's soothing qualities can be used to slow down a fast heartbeat. It can be used to treat stress, insomnia and depression and the diluted oil can be applied to insect stings to alleviate itching.
Magically it is used to attract love, dispel fear and apprehension and negative projections, and assist in gaining a sense of self worth and self confidence. It can help you centre yourself and to let go of guilt and other negative emotions, such as jealousy and anger, that may hinder you from moving on.
Fanny

Post by Fanny »

hedge wrote: It can help you centre yourself and to let go of guilt and other negative emotions, such as jealousy and anger, that may hinder you from moving on.
wow that I did not know , thats really good info, Thanks :)
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Thanks for all the great info, Hedge. I'll have to do some meditation to find out why on earth that smell is so important to me... I know it from somewhere, there's just something about it.... I'll let you know as soon as I do. :28:
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

The sense of smell triggers the most memory receptors in our brains than any of the other senses. Could be as a child someone wore Ylang Ylang as a perfume or burnt it as an incense.
Dan Luna

Post by Dan Luna »

We always use lavender on burns and it works very well. It's also good on the dogs' feet when they have been biting them, but don't put it in the bath and stand the dog in, as the smell makes them vomit. :roll:
5moons

Post by 5moons »

I got new info UPDATING HERB BOOK I GOT.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hey, that's cool :D
feel free to post anything you want in this section.

hedgewitch
5moons

Post by 5moons »

hedgewitch wrote:Hey, that's cool :D
feel free to post anything you want in this section.

hedgewitch
Awaiting next months herb.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

:D

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”