The Girl He Met In The Snow

Post your short stories, articles, etc. here.
Lunair

The Girl He Met In The Snow

Post by Lunair »

She loved to dance on her two pointed feet, she would have danced all night if she could; hopefully forever. But that night she had someone she wanted to meet even more. A tall stranger that spotted her from the audience had sent her not flowers but a sketch of her dancing. There had been no signature but a time and place (10:00, Fountain of Helen the Martyr). She knew it was possibly dangerous to go but she didn't care, life was short, especially hers.
"Today was my last performance, wasn't it?" She said sadly out loud to herself. She just kept walking to the fountain still wearing the glittering costume of feathers and crystals.
"Hm I wonder what people would think if they saw me wearing this right now?" No one was out at this time of night just a girl in a swan dress leaving footprints in the snow.
She had finally arrived at the fountain which looked as if it was frozen in time.
"That's how I wish to be, frozen in time, frozen at this moment" She looked in awe at the fountain and broke off a piece of the iced water. Soon cracks flowed from that point till the whole fountain was cracked into web looking patterns and shattered hitting the ground with glass like sounds.
"Even fountains have their limits" Said a voice as smooth as the silk that clung to the girls bodice.
There he was, the tall stranger, a man who looked around the same age as her but his eyes spoke of a much older soul. She knew he must have been around for years maybe eons. He wore an all white tux with a white top hat and white shoes. Even his skin resembled that of the snow as if he were completely made of bone. He took a step towards her, she didn't even take a step back.
"You know who I am" He said without a hint of a question.
"Yes...Death. But I always thought you would be in the form of a dark angel" The girl replied. "I come in many forms, some more theatrical than others...much like yourself" He said with a crooked grin.
The girl looked forlornly at the frozen pond just a few feet from the fountain.
"Would you like to dance...for the last time?" Death asked.
"I never danced with a partner so tall, much less on ice"
"I just wont let you fall"
She nodded and Death took her hand and led her to the ice that glinted back like an opaque mirror. Death danced even more lovely and gracefully than any other man that's lifted and twirled her on stage. The girl looked more beautiful in that moment than she ever did when she was healthy. Her once sallow and sickly skin covered by powdery makeup, glitter, and feathered eyebrows looked almost translucent. She glowed like the motherly moon that showered its rays of light upon her and Death.
They flowed like snowflakes drifting on the wind. Two figures dressed in white dancing on glass. As Death lowered her down upon the ice snowflakes caught themselves in her long dark eyelashes and on her hair that now loosened itself from the tight braid that was once settled upon her head. She resembled a ghostly queen full of well-deserved pride.
"My blood feels cold" She said drowsily to Death.
"Is it not pleasant?" He answered back.
"I like it...Ive always loved winter...every...ev...everything stands still...frozen in time" The girl said before falling into his arms.
Death felt for a pulse and knew she was gone. He carried her limp body to a bench and set it down as gently as an eggshell. Then he sat down and pulled out a worn out leather notebook and flipped to a page that only contained a picture of the girl and a diagnosis saying "The disease has spread to the bones, but with treatment this early on you have a 70% chance of living. However I recommend that you refrain from ballet or any other form of strenuous dancing since it will take a toll on your health and end up most likely fracturing any of your thigh or calf bones". Death never had names for the people that he took, otherwise he might become attached.
"She never had a name to begin with" He said solemnly. Death had looked at her full records once out of curiosity but there had been none, not for her for some reason. The only full record of hers was the diagnosis, where she worked, lived, and her picture. She had never given out her real name to anyone, they were always false ones. Death waved his hand over the page and everything faded away never to return, only to become blank and new for the next person.
Death got up and left the bench and the girl who layed still there, no breath pervading her lips into the cold night air. Frozen in time just like she wanted, with every bone intact in her legs. By morning people would just think she fell asleep outside and froze to 'death'. But no Death took mercy on her and took her early and in her prime before the disease ravaged her bones fully making her utterly useless to herself eventually leading up to her suicide.
The next day in the news the girl became known as the snow angel, but Death knew her as the ice ballerina, the swan princess, and as the girl he met in the snow.
Lunair

Re: The Girl He Met In The Snow

Post by Lunair »

Thank you, I just felt in the mood to write and that just kinda popped into my head that day.

Return to “Creative Writing”