The Slenderman

Discussion of folklore and myths.
MoonFlowerMary

The Slenderman

Post by MoonFlowerMary »

According to research, the slenderman is a myth. But there's said to be reports and sightings of him.
There are reeally many different stories about him but its hard to decipher what is real and what is false.
What does anyone know about him?
Remember the stars that filled the sky
Remember the moon that shined so high
Remember the tree that was so small
Remember me,
Remember it all
nature_in_control

Re: The Slenderman

Post by nature_in_control »

He's real alright, me and my friend saw him clear as day. He appears to those who fear him most, and I don't believe he means any harm, he's just a misunderstood spirit.
~*nature_in_control*~

"I am not here to bring light to a world of darkness, but rather choose to represent darkness in a world blinded by light~"
Zili

Post by Zili »

In my opinion Slender Man isn't real. From what I've been reading the character is based on other characters from video games and photo shopped images. He's only been made popular due to the games now based on this character the original character was called Tall Man.
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

I read an article not too long ago about the origins of Slenderman. The idea was created on a forum where photos are modified to show "spirits" or "demons". The myth is a total fake and those who claim to have seen him just have a very good imagination.
Shiloh
nature_in_control

Then please be so kind as to explain his appearances throughout history? Many accounts over the years describe the ver same creature, and numerous paintings have been linked to him.
~*nature_in_control*~

"I am not here to bring light to a world of darkness, but rather choose to represent darkness in a world blinded by light~"
Zili

Post by Zili »

then be so kind to post a viable source for us to see these "original" documented sightings.
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

nature_in_control wrote:Then please be so kind as to explain his appearances throughout history? Many accounts over the years describe the ver same creature, and numerous paintings have been linked to him.
You have zero proof of any sightings, seeing how the story behind him is a very recent fairy tale. Don't bother trying to find a source, as you will spend the rest of your life searching for any shred of evidence.
Origin

The Slender Man was created in a contest launched on the Something Awful forums on June 8, 2009, with the goal of editing photographs to contain supernatural entities. On June 10, a forum poster with the user name "Victor Surge" contributed two black and white images of groups of children, to which he added a tall, thin spectral figure wearing a black suit.[2][3] Previous entries had consisted solely of photographs; however, Surge supplemented his submission with snatches of text, supposedly from witnesses, describing the abductions of the groups of children, and giving the character the name, "The Slender Man":

We didn’t want to go, we didn’t want to kill them, but its persistent silence and outstretched arms horrified and comforted us at the same time… 1983, photographer unknown, presumed dead.

One of two recovered photographs from the Stirling City Library blaze. Notable for being taken the day which fourteen children vanished and for what is referred to as “The Slender Man”. Deformities cited as film defects by officials. Fire at library occurred one week later. Actual photograph confiscated as evidence. 1986, photographer: Mary Thomas, missing since June 13th, 1986.[3]

These additions effectively transformed the photographs into a work of fiction. Subsequent posters expanded upon the character, adding their own visual or textual contributions.
There's some proof for you that you believe in a fairy tale, not much different than Santa Clause. :wink:
Shiloh
HippieWitch

Post by HippieWitch »

Also, I just needed to add this. Many "urban legends" are believed to be fact when the believer isn't willing to do any research on such story. That I find quite funny, as people seek truth, but blind themselves in search of what they believe to be true, whether it is or not. Normally it is the latter.

Edited due to mistyping.
Shiloh
nature_in_control

I'm sorry, I don't have to defend anything of what I've seen to you. I know, as does my friend, that we have seen him, and the evidence is more common than you may think.
~*nature_in_control*~

Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Look, this isn't to say that you didn't see a spectral figure that resembled a tall, thin man, or that he speaks to a deep and primal fear. But the origins of Slender Man as a meme is fairly well documented as beginning with a photoshop contest.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/slender-man
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

Lol
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Moonfire

Post by Moonfire »

MoonFlowerMary wrote:According to research, the slenderman is a myth. But there's said to be reports and sightings of him.
There are reeally many different stories about him but its hard to decipher what is real and what is false.
What does anyone know about him?
The information I found was that he was originally created for a contest. HOWEVER there are plenty of lore in ancient civilizations with faceless or very tall spirits. Human kind tends to make folklore, tales and legends that are similar to each other based by observance. Like how many of the tales about the moon are somewhat similar because all of the cultures witnessed the same phenomenon.

So that being said, I believe that there may be a spirit or entity that looks a lot like Slenderman. It could even be possible that Slenderman was a conglomeration of all of these features and a sprinkling of original things. But I believe that the concept of the spirit is real
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

It looks like the OP isn't the only one who puts weight to the Slenderman figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 34675.html
MoonFlowerMary

Post by MoonFlowerMary »

Vesca wrote:It looks like the OP isn't the only one who puts weight to the Slenderman figure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/0 ... 34675.html
I saw that article! :shock: It shocked me to know that two twelve year old girls were capable of that! But I seriously wondered if the Slenderman did try to recruit them or were those girls just delusional? :|
Remember the stars that filled the sky
Remember the moon that shined so high
Remember the tree that was so small
Remember me,
Remember it all
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I had honestly never even heard of slenderman before that article popped up. I'm leaning more toward the... impressionable mind of adolescents by fiction, but that's just my two cents.

It was premeditated, they knew they were doing wrong, they had a choice- whether it was a legitimate influence by a spiritual force (slenderman or otherwise), or not. And since my stance on these things isn't particularly conversation worthy, I'll bow out now. :)

Return to “Folklore and Myths”