Changelings

Discussion of folklore and myths.
Tylluan

Changelings

Post by Tylluan »

A changeling is a creature typically described as being the offspring of a fairy, troll, elf or other legendary creature that was been left in the place of a human child. Sometimes the term is also used to refer to the child who was taken. The apparent changeling could also be a stock or fetch, an enchanted piece of wood that would soon appear to grow sick and die. Sadly Changelings were often purely children born with unknown diseases, facial or behavioural disorders or mental afflications. A Changeling child was often abused by the parents and treated horrifically.

Simple charms such as the daisy chain were made to protect human babies and to stop them being taken.

The artist John Bauer created some wonderful paintings showing a human child captured by trolls. If you get a second google 'Bianca Maria by John Bauer', its one of my favorite paintings showing this fasinating belief.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
AutumnMaidens

Re: Changelings

Post by AutumnMaidens »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2OMODXKF4

H.e.a.t.h.e.r D.a.l.e - Changeling Child
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."

Return to “Folklore and Myths”