Any good books on Celtic Mythology?

Discussion of folklore and myths.
love beats all (;

Any good books on Celtic Mythology?

Post by love beats all (; »

I've been looking everywhere for a book on Celtic mythology and am drawing up blanks. What I'd like to find is a nice thick book filled with the mythology and folklore from the region on various gods and goddesses. Does anyone know of a good book that meets my criteria? Thanks!
P.S. If this should go into the general book forum feel free to move it lol
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Re: Any good books on Celtic Mythology?

Post by JuniperBerry »

I've read a bit of 'The Religion of the Ancient Celts' by J. A. MacCulloch on Kindle and it was interesting and academic.

Review excerpt:

Originally published in 1911, and now available in Dover paperback, "Religion of the Ancient Celts," is a well written and engaging scholarly work.

Well worth its price, the work is suitable to the general public, while still valuable to those interested in the Celts from an historic, linguistic, mythological or ethnological standpoint. MacCulloch covers his subject matter clearly and thoroughly (referencing such things as parallels with Greek mythology and Sumerian religion) and writes in a style that will satisfy the expert without mystifying or losing the attention of the amateur.

http://www.amazon.com/Religion-Ancient- ... 0554343894
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Here is a post I made a while back: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 31&t=17935
It has lists of free mythology e-books.
love beats all (;

Post by love beats all (; »

Thanks guys! I have one HUGE general book on general mythology and folklore, but for some reason there's a strange lack in the Celtic section ( 2 stories ), but the links you posted on the book on amazon and the cetic ebook really helped =D

<3 and Light
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

If you get apps on your phone download the nook or kindle and you can get the book I linked on Amazon for free. There are several others like it- university publishings that are now public domain, fairy tales, alot of what's on the site that Ravencry posted.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
spook

Post by spook »

I've got this giant book called the book of Tara and it goes from the verryyy begining of Irish history relatectotarahill all the way to now.
so it actually has a very concise all inclusive history laid out for even the stuff that might be considered myth, like about the tuatha de danon (sp?) etc.
and all the kings and all the Epic heros and women of Tara get listed. it's awesome.
Xack

Post by Xack »

"Celtic Wonder Tales" by Ella Young ( http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/cwt/index.htm ) " by Ella Young is a great book, starting with the Earth's creation and going on to Lugh Lauve-Fauda, the Dagda, Cian and the Fomoire. I got a copy from my grandmother just yesterday.

Return to “Folklore and Myths”