Vampires

Discussion of folklore and myths.
Robert L

Re: Vampires

Post by Robert L »

Witch13 wrote:I think i shouldnt make a post on fairies any time soon.. baby04
How about Gnomes? I like Gnomes :D

Couple years back, I read an article on the subject of 'Twilight' when it first came out. Seems the whole 'sparkly' stuff came from an old legend (Central American indian, Mayan, Incan, dont recall which) that said that vampires 'sparkled' so theirs a basis (in legend) no matter how silly it looks on film. :)
Going to be offline from 1 Feb to 1 March. (playing Army in LA)
See you all when I get back. :)
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Actually if you read about what the author herself said about the books she didn't get anything from legends but from her own mind, made them without even thinking! So any myths that may have similarities to twilight vampires would be coincidental.
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Lost_Demise wrote:Actually if you read about what the author herself said about the books she didn't get anything from legends but from her own mind, made them without even thinking! So any myths that may have similarities to twilight vampires would be coincidental.
Wish I could remember the magazine. (Hospital waiting room.) Want to say it was Time or Newsweek.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

They probably wrote it because so many people like twilight they want to be able to say the woman who wrote it actually put thought in to it. If you don't praise the books fans all over might end up mauling you^^; Despite that the books has the main girl give up collage in favor of having kids, and then lets her half vampire daughter that's a baby get marked to be some vampire mans mate. That is among some of the things in the book- one of a few reasons why many anti twilight fans say its like a horrible fan fiction^^;
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Really? I've only read the first one out of curiosity. (Not badly written but I felt like I was reading my 15 year old daughter's Tiger Beat magazines.)
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Yes~ I think this comic sums it up nicely, don't read it if you don't want to see anything making fun of twilight though. [-link-] Theres a different comic that's more informative but I can't find it on yahoo at the moment^^;
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Lost_Demise wrote:Yes~ I think this comic sums it up nicely, don't read it if you don't want to see anything making fun of twilight though. [-link-] Theres a different comic that's more informative but I can't find it on yahoo at the moment^^;
Hilarious!
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/11/28/twilight-moms.jpg
That one's always been one of my favourites.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

THAT is freakin creepy!
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Yeah, I made this same argument in a Barnes & Noble once to a friend and the cashier got a bit defensive. Guess she didn't like acknowledging her inner pedo. :)
FenrisComesForth

Post by FenrisComesForth »

I once read a VERY good serious study into the subject of vampires, it was written in like the 1900's. I wish I could remember the name...
Iriel

Post by Iriel »

I can say with confidence that vampires do not actually sparkle in sunlight. They are more apt to be photosensitive, as in, sensitive to sunlight, and burn easily. I myself am a vampire (not the 'I vant to suck you blooooood' type though), an empathic vampire to be specific. I feed off of other people's emotional energies, which doesn't actually drain a person as a person's emotions are more fluid than pretty much any other type of energy. I used to do it unintentionally, still do sometimes, though I'm aware of what's going on now at least.
Though I do find it interesting to read what the myths say about vampires. I find that most of it is stereotypical, and does not usually fit everyone.
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

FenrisComesForth wrote:I once read a VERY good serious study into the subject of vampires, it was written in like the 1900's. I wish I could remember the name...
That would be interesting, Hope you remember.
Robert L

Post by Robert L »

Speaking of Vampires, Hopefully this hasnt been posted elsewhere already:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/03/ ... 0766.shtml
Self proclaimed vampire Jonathon "The Impaler" Sharkey is hoping to be the world's first vampire President.

The 45-year-old is hoping to move to Washington DC in a bid to run for office, he also claims to be the descendant of Vlad II the Impaler, otherwise known as Dracula.
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

He's a child molester^^;;

Return to “Folklore and Myths”