Mermaids

Discussion of folklore and myths.
WhiteOne

Re: Mermaids

Post by WhiteOne »

This is kind of off topic, but their is an interesting article about "Cat Communication" on Wikipedia.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I just read it (the cat thing). That was interesting.
GregoryLionborn

Post by GregoryLionborn »

I have always loved and believed in mermaids; and still do. I'm a believer in much, but sea spirits especially. Among other things, the fact that we know less of the seas than outer space should help convince others that we may not know nearly as much "facts" as we think. That is, of course, not saying it's wrong; just that we simply shouldn't toss out beliefs in favour of conventional information. :D
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
seawitch Artist

Post by seawitch Artist »

Mermaids I find are something close to my heart..about time I painted one. I'm not going to say the human fish hybrid doesn't exist, who am I to do so? But I do think that early western seafarers brought back stories from abroad that created parallel myth, and not unreasonable acceptance of things they had seen as being the real thing.
Japanese woman pearl divers have been going about their trade for centuries, they dive very deep and stay down a long time, sea dogs, as Sharks were called before the 1600's weren't feared by them, just better understood..these are among the real Sea people and heres a really good site about Mermaids and the mundane over lap....I think a bit of toplessness is safe within the topic?,,,, [Link removed}
Last edited by Firebird on Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: dangerous link removed
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

I don't think I said this in the thread before, but my friend said that she actually --oh wait--that her mother-- actually saw a mermaid.
She was in Thailand, at a military base (Thai.) There was a large river flowing through the base. My friend's mom said that she saw a beautiful woman's bust looking at her from the middle of the river (bust, as in the sculptural term). The mother was just about to tell her that she should get out of there--it's not smart for a beautiful woman to swim in a military base--plus the woman looked like she was topless, when the woman disappeared under the water with a large slap of her fish fin.
This is what my friend told me--and she would have no reason to lie about it.
CristryShannon

Post by CristryShannon »

Thessalonike was Alexander the Great's sister but she wasn't a mermaid she became when she made her bro mad...Im a Greek girl and because i live in Thessaloniki city i will tell you the story just like my mum and my grandma told me. Ok so according to the legent Thessaloniki was Alexander's sister. One day Alexander called the witches and asked them "Tell me what can i do to live forever so to live in the world that i created?" and they answered "My king your power is big but whatever fate wrote can't be erased. There is only one thing that may let you live in the world that you created but is difficult, very difficult." Alexander said "I didn't ask u if it is hard.Tell me what is it!" and they said "My king there is the immortal water! Whoever drink this he wont be afraid of the death.But whoever wants to take it he has to cross 2 mountains that close when someone is about to pass through. If he succed, there's a dragon that guards the immortal water. You can kill the dragon and take the water." Then Alexander ordered the slaves to bring him his horse Voukefala that din't have wings but it was flying. He straddles his horse and he starts his journey. He crossed the 2 mountains and killed the dragon.He took the immortal water and came back to Macedonia(in todays north Greece!!!!). But he didn't hide it well! His sister saw the water and she thought that the slaves let it so she can irrigate her garden, so she shed it to some wildonion(some kinda plant) and that's why wildonion do not ever wither.Some hours later Alexander wanted to drink the water but where is it?He asks his sister if she knows where it is and she told him that she poured it.He got crazy by his anger and his unhappiness and he cursed her to be from the waist and down fish and to be tortured for ever.The god heard that and ever since , those who are coming back with their boats they see her floundering in the waves.But she doesn't hate Alexander and when a boat pass by her she grabs the bow and asks:
- Alexander King Lives?
And if the skipper does not know he answers:
- He died ...
Then the girl from her great sorrow she upsets with her hands and her blond hair the sea and she drown the boat.But those who know they answer:
- He lives and reigns, and conquers the world ...
And then the mermaid from her great joy she calms the winds and the waves and she plays with her lyre sweet songs from where sailors learn the new purposes.
So this was the story as us Greeks know's it :) I love mermaids and i think that only because they are daughters of Poseidon(he is my fav god)they are kind and beautiful creatures. I absolutelly believe that mermaids excisted and i also believe that they wont harm you if you wont harm them :)
Blessed be newangel
The best words of <3 are hidding into the silence of a look...
What can't be heard it doesn't mean that it's not there...!
Victoria Mnemosyne

Post by Victoria Mnemosyne »

I personally believe that mermaids are a nature spirit of the water, similar to nature spirits identified as Dryads in mythology, or wood nymphs. I believe that they do not have a corporeal form in this realm, but that sometimes we are allowed glimpses into other realms and that is where the stories come from. I also believe that it was easier for humans to contact these realms in the past for whatever reason, and that is why the prevalence of stories.

I think imagination absolutely played a part in any mythological creature, but when a creature is identified with the same appearance and concept in widely different parts of the world, when we cannot find good reason to believe it is the result of cultural diffusion (ie. stories of dragons in the New World and in Asia and in Europe, before these places had contact with eachother) then we cannot rely on imagination as a source.
Gossamyr

Post by Gossamyr »

I just dyed my hair green - Mermaid style!

The most famous mermaid here in the Philippines is Dyesebel, a younger version of her character was created just a few years back for a local soap-opera, the little girl is called Mutya and she is born with mermaid-like legs and (unlike Dyesebel) lives on land with her parents.
islandhippiewitch

Post by islandhippiewitch »

Me too!!!!!

Return to “Folklore and Myths”