Fairies! What about the Fay folk?

Discussion of folklore and myths.
Dark_Tower

Fairies! What about the Fay folk?

Post by Dark_Tower »

Was not sure where to place this....

Anyway, here is a short video I created on 'Fairies'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsvWAQrCrto

There are more of my videos I have created on witchcraft & related issues on my youtube channel...its FREE!

http://www.youtube.com/mywitchcraft

I hope you enjoy

Mal Corvus
Dark Tower
Cornish Witchcraft Video Productions
Damien

Post by Damien »

This is a matter which interests me greatly, I have had several encounters with the fay or Good Folk. They are very interesting.
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

You know, I never really 'got' fairies. I mean, do people actually believe that there are little winged people hiding in forest undergrowth or what? Is it that literal or is it more symbolic to some sort of small metaphysical being?

What are they suppose to do, anyway?
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

HonorRose wrote:You know, I never really 'got' fairies.
Ditto. :) I'd love to hear more of people's experiences.

In John Michael Greer's book, Monsters: A Field Investigator's Guide, he has a chapter on faeries. According to his research, they're spiritual beings that can take on many different forms... but in their "natural" form, they're humanoid, about four feet tall (give or take), have large heads and spindly bodies, and come in either gray or brown... a description that will no doubt sound familiar to the UFO buffs. ::coolglasses::
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

Lol! Fairy aliens, huh? Interesting.

I always thought it was sort of like they were small spirits manifested from the energies of the forest or something like that. I think that if faeries existed it would be a long shot to be able to see them. But I'll be open-minded. I too am interested to hear the experiences of others.
RuneGeek

Post by RuneGeek »

HonorRose wrote:Lol! Fairy aliens, huh? Interesting.
Well, consider this...

A lot of faerie lore has them living underground. Now, "going underground" could be the primitive interpretation of multi-dimensional movement, making them "ultra-terrestrial" rather than "extra-terrestrial". Fairies are sometimes associated with being protectors of the Earth, and that ties in with some alleged "alien" encounters in which warnings were given about humanity's damage to the environment. Likewise, faerie lore is full of stories of abductions for the purpose of procreation... which is evocative of the many other modern abduction stories.

Me... I'm an open-minded skeptic. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm willing to speculate (mostly because it's fun!) :D And I think it all fits rather nicely. :)

(For the record, JMG didn't go there in his book... he just presented the information and I took it and ran!)
oOKissedTheWitchesOo

Post by oOKissedTheWitchesOo »

I think faeries are more the spirits of plants or earth areas. They can take on different forms depending on the expectations of the person seeing them and the reason they are wishing you to see them.

Not everyone believes in faeries. I do. I honestly believe I have had an encounter which I guess is what makes me believe.
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

Tell us about it. I am interested in understanding faeries.
Alicat
Banned Member

Post by Alicat »

oOKissedTheWitchesOo

I was reading about faeries online and read experiences from so many people that I started wondering if they were real. People suggested leaving them a shiny gift or some milk to attract them so I decided to try it. I left both on a rock in my back garden and sat outside for a while. A few moments later I saw something fly from the spot I left my 'gift' to the top of the tree beside it. It was far to big and quick to be a butterfly (and too big to be a humming bird) but flew like no other bird that I know of (in that area).
I sat outside doubting myself and then something flew around my head a few times really quickly. I didn't get a good look at it but it was brown and about the size of my hand. It was so quick that I barely saw it but I felt it's wings beating as it flew around me.

I guess it can be debated but I know how I felt when this happened. It left me sort of dazed and otherwordly feeling.

Also when I was a child my friend and I used to see people in the woods near our house. They looked like children but were smaller than us and had the ability to dissapear. They used to hide behind trees and we'd try to get a 'good' look at them. We were so young we thought they were santa's elves. Again, I always came in from playing feeling very dazed. I think it was more than an active imagination because I would certainly credit myself to being prone to that but my friend was always very sensible even at a young age.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any stories.
HonorRose
Banned Member

Post by HonorRose »

That's interesting. So what do you, as one who has experienced them, think they are, exactly?
oOKissedTheWitchesOo

I think they are energy or spirits of plants/ areas. I wouldn't say I knew what they ar because I have no idea. It's just what I believe.
I think they can show themselves in any form and they can bee 'good' or 'bad'.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Often they appear as small human-like creatures with nut brown skin, bark-like skin etc. At least they have done so to me, they are not spirits exactly though, it is rather hard to explain. They are ruled over by the Goddess. If anyone is interested send me an email or a PM or something, I know a fair bit about the fay folk. One word of warning though, never address them by the name faeries, they hate that and I mean hate it.
akumaxkami

Post by akumaxkami »

I think there are many different types of faeries, just as there are races of people or species of plants.

You're got the little winged things that dance in mushroom rings and lead you astray should you follow them into the woods, the helpful Brownies, the terrifying Pookas and Bogarts, mischievous gnomes, tree and flower spirits, etc etc. There's an endless variety really.

I think they exist both in this realm and in the Faery realm, which overlaps with our world. Children see them most often, since their third-eye isn't closed yet and they're more susceptible to these things.

Faeries can be reached through meditation, leaving them offerings, asking for them on nights when the veil is thin (Beltane or Samhain usually) or just generally being earth-friendly.

My knowledge extends mostly toward the Tuatha De Dannan and other European fair folk, but I'm certainly interested in nature spirits native to other parts.
WiccanBoy94

Post by WiccanBoy94 »

Wait, so if faeries don't like to be called faeries what should one call them?

Return to “Folklore and Myths”