Absolut Ad Causes Uproar

If there's a news article you'd like to discuss (witchcraft related or not), this is the place to do it.
Wolf Heart

Absolut Ad Causes Uproar

Post by Wolf Heart »

Okay so not really pagan news but still interesting.

Here is a link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/us_ ... absolut_dc

Apparently the Absolut Vodka advertiser in Mexico created an ad that dipicted mexico as having the territory of before the American-Mexican War.

It caused an uproar with many Americans and they began boycottting the stuff. You can read more at the link.

I thought it was really interesting since in my history class we just recently covered the amer-mex war.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
LUNAAMOR

Post by LUNAAMOR »

yeah i saw that and the ad was not meant for american people to see it . it was just for mexican tv or something like that
"Light up the Darkness" Bob Marley
oracle's child

Post by oracle's child »

they're so silly. it's an advertisement for crying out loud. what did they think was going to happen? sheesh.
LUNAAMOR

Post by LUNAAMOR »

i bet you they thought mexicnas will wake up and then declare war to the us to get back the parts that is missin !!!!
lol lol rofl :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

LUNAAMOR wrote:i bet you they thought mexicnas will wake up and then declare war to the us to get back the parts that is missin !!!!
lol lol rofl :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually there are some groups of very nationalist mexicans who do believe that mexico should reclaim those states as there own. They have a word for it "Reconquista" is the one they use. It means "Reconquest."

There are many debates on it though they are hardly ever talked about. Not sure which side I'd agree with on the subject since I'm one of those people that are able to see things from both sides.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
Ashleigh

Post by Ashleigh »

My history teacher was talking about this a while ago. To my knowledge, the map they used in the campaign was in fact an authentic 16th century map where Mexico at the time really did hold some of the southern states of the US, due to the Spanish conquerors who invaded much of North America during that time period.

Now, the US is claiming that they can't be showing this map in their campaign because it is inaccurate, but the theme of the campaign is "the good ol' days" and this map really was an accurate map from the 16th century.

In my opinion, I think the whole fuss is rather pointless and there is no reason as to why this company cannot publish a map that really was accurate for its time period in their marketing campaign.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

Ashleigh wrote:My history teacher was talking about this a while ago. To my knowledge, the map they used in the campaign was in fact an authentic 16th century map where Mexico at the time really did hold some of the southern states of the US, due to the Spanish conquerors who invaded much of North America during that time period.

Now, the US is claiming that they can't be showing this map in their campaign because it is inaccurate, but the theme of the campaign is "the good ol' days" and this map really was an accurate map from the 16th century.

In my opinion, I think the whole fuss is rather pointless and there is no reason as to why this company cannot publish a map that really was accurate for its time period in their marketing campaign.
I think it is a bit silly however the reason behind the ad was to say that basically, in a perfect or "absolut" world Mexico would still hold those states, thats what they were getting at in the ad, not fully the "good ol' days."
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

All I gotta say is "wah!" "boohoo" Americans have been trained for the last 60 years to be puppets of propaganda

"It OFFENDS us!!!"

Get the fuqu over it!!!!...people are starving and being bombed because most Americans give more attention to who's being cut from "American Idol" than they do to what their government is doing to other countries.

The ignorance of the MTV Society makes me want to vomit.

I think Absolut should run a "In An Absolut World" ad with a map depicting the U.N. flag as every countries flag....

Wolf,

thanks for posting this...gives me a smile knowing at least some people are paying attention..

Thet
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare
LUNAAMOR

Post by LUNAAMOR »

ok i had heard about it (duhh im mexican :P ) i mean for me its just plain silly that they are getting offended its just and ad nothing else. and its true what akanaanash says there are other more important thing in the world than a commercial :roll:

Return to “News/Articles”