You can bring a pilgrim to water,but .......

If there's a news article you'd like to discuss (witchcraft related or not), this is the place to do it.
Eretik

You can bring a pilgrim to water,but .......

Post by Eretik »

......... you can't get the water past customs,on Vatican Flights.[ooh err]

Reuters - Wednesday, August 29 11:34 amROME (Reuters) -

Inspectors at Tarbes-Lourdes airport in France refused to give their blessing to holy water that passengers tried to bring on board the Vatican's new pilgrim flights this week, saying it was a security threat just like any other liquid.

The water, which is said to have miraculous healing powers, came from a sacred grotto where Catholics believe the Virgin Mary appeared in 1858.

Passenger Paola Saluzzi told Corriere della Sera newspaper she was carrying the water in eight small plastic bottles "in the shape of the little Madonna". But it was not allowed on board.

"If they gave preference to the water from Lourdes it would be an (irregularity) that would not guarantee the proper procedure," she acknowledged.

But the Vatican had foreseen such an eventuality and placed a small complimentary bottle of holy water on the seat of each pilgrim to drink on board, Saluzzi said.

The Vatican's chartered Boeing 737 aims to serve 150,000 pilgrims a year. Beyond Lourdes, destinations will range from the shrine of Fatima in Portugal to Mount Sinai in Egypt, where Moses is said to have received the 10 Commandments from God.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

The banning of fluids on board planes is INSANE. Why? That fluid explosive they are oh so afraid of finding on board a plane, is damn difficult to transport. You need a special vessel to transport it in, and if you don't use it, you are likely to blow yourself up before you even get to the airport.

Said vessel is more likely to set off security alarms than a bottle of freaking mineral water... or even a vial of holy water.

Not only that, potential makers need labritory conditions to make the stuff and transport it. NOW, it is theoretically possible for terrorists to do that, but it's more likely to come from AUM in Japan, rather than our enemies in the middle east.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I just thought it was funny that holy water can't be taken on 'God's' airline.A lot of these laws are insane. If you want to take out a plane there are many ways to get around bans, the water paranoia is because of the new and inventive techniques terrorist are adopting - but it won't stop it.It is silly,I agree.
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Actually J, it's not that hard at all, the device works like a pop-to-activate, glow-stick, and doesnt need any more liquid than that to set it off.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous myself. I was fortunate enough to be allowed through with my shampoo, but the "safety procedures" are only meant to give regular people the illusion of safety.

A few years ago, I boarded a domestic flight with a tibetan knife in the bottom of my bag, granted, it's purpose was completely symbolic but the checkers didn't even notice it.

My real problem with this situation is the constant demonization of Islam, and Muslims in general. I've been tagging every article I find, not that I have to even look for them, with little notes like this one. Simply expressing the horror which is the current media RE: Islam.

You've got an prb at the airport security? Blame the Muslims.
Lost your rights to privacy? It's those damned Islamic devils.
High gas prices? Well...it's the War on Terror....

fuqu it...let's just blame everything on Islam, continue to use the media to tell people that Muslims are terrorists and keep invading Middle Eastern countries without provocation and that will teach those dirty ayrabs a thing or two...oh wait...won't that just make them more angry? Who cares! We've got the WMD's...hahahhahaha! U....S.....A........U...S.....A.....Blow them all to hell....

stoopid......stoopid amerikans.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks we're insane.

(Sorry, didn't mean to just go off like that.....)

Thet
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I don't blame you. See my father was an airplane pilot, and at one point even owned his own freight company. He was b*tching about airport security *25* years ago, not to mention talking about the pathetic state of air traffic control computers. (but that's a related but different story) The kind of security measures they use today are nearly useless. They even send in the National Guard in force... without bullets for their weapons?!?

There are more effective ways to make things safer, but they require MONEY. And the airlines are nearly bankrupt as it is. The only ones that are making money are a new airline in Europe who's name escapes me, (Blue? Something like that) and South West airlines, and *maybe* Spirit. All the rest of them are teetering on the edge of bankruptcy... but can indefinitely since they are massive corporations who've insulated themselves with the money they made in the past and creative accounting and sloppy handling of maintenance. (Think Microsoft) Not all airlines do that, but many do. In fact, some of them make money by bankrupting freight companies. Remember Eastern Airlines? The guy who ran them into the ground had been bankrupting freight companies for 25 years for fun and profit. But I seriously digress...

As for religious intolerance... I have nothing against Muslims. I do strongly object to any belief, I don't care if they are pagan, Christian, Muslim atheist or whatever... who decides that the best way to help humanity is by bombing western civilization into the stone age. Or sending teenage girls into nightclubs with bombs strapped on them. Or thinks that might makes right, and bullying is the solution to every problem. I'm very intolerant of that kind of thinking, and will freely admit it. I don't think people with those beliefs have any particular set of physical characteristics... but for those beliefs I'm a flaming bigot. With extreme prejudice.

Besides, who's to say that terrorists in the Middle east couldn't find nice wholesome white boys with sympathies that run in similar directions to bomb people too? Or better yet, Timothy McVey sure didn't wear Arab head gear.

It doesn't make sense to target people with Mediterranean looking features. I used to date a guy who got randomly searched every time he went to an airport because he was "Flying while Jewish". :roll:
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Oh yah, I agree, but I'd have to mention christians who think they're "doing godz work" by killing abortion doctors, waging war on certain countries for reasons that range from "a NEW CRUSADE" (which...I will never forget, personally....) (another reason why I simply refuse to listen to, respond or call "leader" the person who currently holds the office of "president" of the u.s.a.) (I don't hate him...mind you, he's really an expression of what it means to be american...yeehaaw) to "cheaper oil"
and let's not forget the media involvement on 9/12 (RE: the 700 Club) that claimed that pagans and lesbians and gays were responsible for the "punishment brought on america" by the "sin" they encourage.

I'm not christian or muslim, but the fact is that a HUGE amount of nontraditional people are suffering because the monotheists can't agree on what to call their pseudo-god and how to worship it.

I donno, I working on a complete non-aggression pact between myself and the rest of the world...tryin' to find a place where the supposed "leaders" can't bother me...and I don't bother them.

That's all.

Thet
zstargazer

airport security

Post by zstargazer »

Airport security seems to be applied a little differently depending upon which airport you are in and who is on duty.

Recently while passing thru Anchorage, AK, I saw the person in front of me get a tube of toothpaste 'confiscated' because even though it held less than 2 oz, the tube was big enough to hold more.

At the same airport, I had my grandbaby's sippy cup with a drop (and I mean a drop) of liquid left in the bottom and the airport security told me I was "lucky" they didn't keep it.

However, I took the sippy cup completely full, thru airport security in Las Vegas, and no one said a word.

Go figure................... :?:

Just a post script here. I had a dear friend get 'flagged' by airport security. Everytime she gets on a plane she is searched and has to wait. When she asked why, it all went back to an incident several years ago in the lavatory in flight. She had an aresol can of fds (feminine deoderant spray) which caused the smoke alarm in the lavatory to go off. The flight attendant kicked in the door and accused her of smoking. This lady, by the way, hates smoking and she was embarassed to the point of tears. She protested her innocense, and they could not find any cigarette, tobacco or smoke as evidence. They did, however, flag her as a security risk. When she finally found out why she was put thru all the b.s. each time she tried to go thru security, she finally hired an attorney to get the airline to take the security flag off.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Illegal smoking is considered a security risk??? Geez, what's this country coming to?

For what it's worth, the friend I'm discussing... I wonder if it's possible that they flagged him as a security risk because he was carrying a laptop.

:shock:
zstargazer

laptop

Post by zstargazer »

Yes, she routinely carries a laptop as she travels for her business.

However, once she hired an attorney the records kept by the airline revealed she was a security risk due to the suspicious activity in the restroom during the flight. Although the smoke alarm was activated, they could not find any contraband or in fact, even smell smoke. They thought that there was something going on, but could not identify the problem, as well as refused to take her excuse of using the aerosol spray.

The moral of this story would be it might be wise to refrain from using aresol propelled hairspray or deoderants while in flight, in small closed spaces they may activate the alarm system.

The flag was lifted after the attorney contacted the airline and an investigation was launched. She is a frequent flier. This took place about three years ago.

Return to “News/Articles”