Wiccan Coven Sues Over 10 Commandments Monument

If there's a news article you'd like to discuss (witchcraft related or not), this is the place to do it.
Mystie.Graves

Wiccan Coven Sues Over 10 Commandments Monument

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I've always been a loner. Solitary. I prefer it that way. I have however searched around for locals near me with similar interests for the sake of connecting with someone... I have no friends.

In my search locally I found it is an area that anything magic is very taboo. Any whispered mention of any group or people with magical interests was met with extreme limitation.

I just found out that a local Wiccan Coven, which I had not known about, sued a near by city, Bloomfield NM, (like 25-ish minutes away from me) for having a monument of the ten commandments. Granted, I found this much to late, as this has been an ongoing court case since 2014. My husband works for another nearby city, again about 25 minutes away from where we live, and found out that it was posted yesterday that the city of Bloomfield lost the court case. My husband told me about the notice the city he works for got about this. So I had to look it up, you can google "Bloomfield NM Wiccan Ten Commandments" to get various news posts. I am sure not ALL members of this coven where a part of this, and I am sure that some of them thought defacing a public monument, that did not actually affect them, was wrong; or at least unnecessary. So I don't intend to blame or point fingers in shock/awe. But in the name of a coven, when the supposed leaders, or in this case a high priestess, (and others) are acting out against another belief for negative attention, it reflects on the group as a whole.

I personally am not Christian, despite being raised in a very Christian home, nor do I believe in going to any form of church. However I feel very disappointed in the first real sign of a local community of Wiccan practitioners being so... biased.

Has anyone here seen anything like this? I do not claim to be a Wiccan specifically, but I do believe in magic and the practice of magic. I have my own path. But I'm a bit disappointed in what I see locally, the potential there was lost before I ever got a chance to speak with anyone in person, maybe make a friend, and enjoy the new information and opinion of others who hold interests similar to mine.

It is perfectly fine to believe differently than someone ...But to hate on something else so much that the hate and negativity leaves a impact, and not a good impact at that; which in turn disrupts the community... seems just the opposite of what you think would be appropriate behavior. And again, I'm sure some members did not believe this was a fair course of action, I'm sure some of them may be great people. But I'm not interested in the connection at all now. I feel that they may be facing potential negative repercussions in some way.

To end this sad note, I want to say I LOVE this online community. I hope everyone here is proud of being so open, so caring, and genuinely decent people. I have never seen any hate or bashing toward other beliefs, just simple opinions about your beliefs. Thank you for being you, being welcoming, and not having the negativity that seem to be surrounding me in my real life world. As much as I would love a in-person friend, to be close to, who I can help out, who I can learn from & teach, and who I can trust. I would rather have nothing but online friends who are open & loving, than get close to someone in person just to be hurt or disappointed. And right now, I'm glad I did not get too close or search any harder to find this coven (Not that I want to be in a coven, I like my solitary-ness lol).

I hope someday I will find the connection or friendship I need, but for now I'm happy I have not lost anything by not finding something I really would not have wanted.

I can wish the real world was a better place all day long, but it is what it is; hopefully this will be balanced in some way.
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What A Negitive Way To Find A Local Coven...

Post by Xiao Rong »

Other minority faiths (such as the Satanic Temple) have also sued for similar reasons. The purpose for doing so is not out of hate, but to protect the separation of church and state -- placing the Ten Commandments outside the government building signals that the government operates on Christian values. There wouldn't be an issue if the Ten Commandments were being displayed on private property.

Some (mostly Christian) politicians have tried to get around this by saying that all religious displays should be allowed, not just Christian. This has also run into problems -- for instance, when a Wiccan group tried to display a pentacle wreath at a local city hall alongside a nativity scene and other holiday displays, the wreath was vandalized.

Anyways, so the point of suing is not to be anti-Christian, but to say that the government should not show any preferences for any particular religion at all. I understand that may not be one's first preference for a group, but I don't think it's hateful for a minority faith to ask for protections under the law.

Related reading:

- The Freedom from Religion Foundation put up a giant display of the letter "A" for Atheism

- At the Wisconsin State Capitol, a Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Festivus pole were both erected, with the express intention of protesting religious displays in government spaces. "Think this is ridiculous? We agree!” the sign says. “Religious ideas should not be promoted within the halls of government. Protect the separation of church and state, it protects us all."

- Town of Greece vs. Galloway Supreme Court ruling

- Satanic Temple tries to erect a Baphomet statue next to the Ten Commandments
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Mystie.Graves

Re: What A Negative Way To Find A Local Coven...

Post by Mystie.Graves »

I do agree. It shouldn't have been near the City Hall to begin with. It may be privately funded/owned but they should have said, "No, this cannot be near a government building." So in a way they set themselves up for the bad feedback.

I just felt a sense of negativity in it all from having the coven draw attention that was pushing out something that was not put there by the government, and privately built & funded. Seemed and felt like, a call for attention, even if it was negative attention. It didn't need to be there, but going so far to have something removed put a large rift on the community. And while it didn't need to be there, they didn't need to waste any thoughts on it and make it an ordeal years after it went up. Maybe had they protested it being put up to begin with, but why wait so long? It feels very off.

I walk by many things when I am out that I don't agree with, but I don't make a public point of defacing something... Though some people do just that, and feel right in doing so. Otherwise there would be riots ever so often.

This is why I don't watch or read the news, it's hardly anything I care for.

While I'm sure some people want to push for that kind of thing, I don't see reason behind it being removed. Why not have another privately funded monument made instead? They spent all the money for the court battle, when they could have put it into something else. If it is not government, you should be able to have the freedom to speak or show your beliefs without destroying others'.

I also understand going hand in hand together for many people simply cannot be done. While I love the idea behind the "coexist" bumper sticker. Life is a little more complicated. I just wish it cold have been a nicer outcome, but I do understand why it happened the way it did; just not why it had to be pushed to start it.

I may not understand it all, but I do understand some of it. Yet the outcome does not seem worth it in end it. =\

Haha! I'm just rambling now. I just wish I got a better feeling from it. It gave me such a strong negative feeling that I am very put off by it. And I thought the closest I'd find anyone was 3.5 hours away in Albuquerque.
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I understand the legal point. From that perspective, they indeed have a right to protest.

However, I fully get what Mystie is trying to say. It seems that the political correctness got out of hand and now everyone seems to be offended by something.

I wouldn't like to be a member of that coven, either. What they did seems hateful indeed and it presents Wicca in a bad militant light.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Would you still consider contacting this group? At the very least, it would be an experience.
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

Obsidian wrote:Would you still consider contacting this group? At the very least, it would be an experience.
I'm considering it. I'll give some time to let the negative energy I feel from this calm down & see how I feel about it then. I'll trust my own instincts & feelings to be sure. I'm sure there are some very nice people in the group.
moonraingirl wrote:I understand the legal point. From that perspective, they indeed have a right to protest.

However, I fully get what Mystie is trying to say. It seems that the political correctness got out of hand and now everyone seems to be offended by something.

I wouldn't like to be a member of that coven, either. What they did seems hateful indeed and it presents Wicca in a bad militant light.
It does feel like it got out of hand. And I wish it didn't feel so "off" to me, I'd love some in-person friends. It's just of putting at the moment. Hopefully with time things will change. Time can change anything. =)

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Yep, just do what feels right to you. Maybe if they have a facebook or internet page, you can follow them and see what they are like. That way you can get to know them more and make your opinion. No need to hurry.
Mystie.Graves

Post by Mystie.Graves »

moonraingirl wrote:Yep, just do what feels right to you. Maybe if they have a facebook or internet page, you can follow them and see what they are like. That way you can get to know them more and make your opinion. No need to hurry.
I actually found they do have a Facebook page. I think I might follow them & see how things balance out from there.

What I have seen is it not very active, & doesn't show or do much.

I'll just have to be patient & see how things go. lol!

=)

=#=Mystie.Graves=#=
=#=Mystie.Graves=#=

Return to “News/Articles”