America's Changing Religious Landscape

If there's a news article you'd like to discuss (witchcraft related or not), this is the place to do it.
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

This is really, really interesting. I've heard a lot of people arguing that Christianity isn't declining but I know that it is. I thought this was really interesting to look at and thought I'd share. Non-Affiliated is the highest and growing the most. I always said that we were entering an age of change, where Paganism and other faiths may be taking the rise instead.

I respect all religions, of course, and just wanted to share this due to the interesting content. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I think this has to do with the astrological ages. The age of Taurus we worshiped cows and Bulls, in the age of the ram, Abraham and Moses set the stage for the religion of the new age. The age of pieces Pisces followed, the age of Jesus. (Jesus and the fish have so many correlations). Today we are in the beginnings of the age of Aquarius. A religious shift should be expected. Some people say Aquarius will be the age of science and technology, which is easy to see. Others say it will be the age of brotherhood and humanity, with the world starting to focus on human rights more than any other time in history. I'm trying to imagine how technology and humanity will shape the religious shift....?

Rosie Moonflower
Sakura Blossom

Re: America's Changing Religious Landscape

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I think you're definitely right. I think things are changing and your post reminded me of one I made awhile ago which is right here: I think there's an imbalance in things. I would definitely be in belief of that and I'm also curious about how our technology will help.

Though, talking with a friend of mine they mentioned how the world cycles and we tend to go around back to where we used to be... I doubt we'll eliminate our technology but I have to wonder if perhaps we'll find ways to use our technology with the new religious change? To help us find ways to incorporate it into our daily religious practices.

Have you ever read the book American Gods? It has a really awesome concept to it.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

Perhaps this imbalance you felt was because the astrological ages overlap each other. So, for a while we were in both, the age of Pieces and Aquarius. The stages are based on the size of the constellation. So some are larger and it takes longer to get through them.

I hope that you are right and people will find new ways to use technology for spiritual and religious practices. I like what you said in your other post about people moving away from the Old ways and towards the new ways. I think that is definitely happening all over.

I'm a jr high teacher and I was doing a lesson with my students over wants vs needs. They created a list of priorities and I read them aloud. If they felt it was a want, they moved to the right side of the room, if they felt it was a need, they moved to the left. One of the items on the list was a cell phone. There was a giant debate over whether a cell phone was a want or a need. Teenagers are addicted to their phones, so you can imagine the arguments. So we keep going and eventually one of the items on the list was church. Again, the room was split and the arguments broke out. All the students got turns to says why they chose what they they chose and we ended the lesson. Then, one of my favorite students looks up at me and says, "oh my gosh, Miss! Someday we're all gonna go to church on our phones!" I DIED laughing! He has actually realized through the lesson that technology was changing rapidly and changing people's priorities and how you can do just about anything on a phone these days...So who knows? Maybe in the future, we're gonna go to church on our phones. It was really funny because he was just **MIND BLOWN** at his own discovery.

As long as we move towards a way of using technology for good and not for selfish reasons, then I'm all for it. But, technology doesn't replace real life. I'm a huge technology girl, but it definitely can be very isolating to use frequently.

I have not read the book American Gods, what it is about?

Rosie
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

That's a really cool test, and I'm really surprised they let you do the whole church thing in school. I was honestly thinking the same thing. xD That eventually it'll all be on the phones or in virtual worlds where you could meet with your goddess/god via meditation.

I think so too as I do like technology and think it's really helped us a lot but I don't want it to be too isolating in the future. I'd be cool with a teleportation device that takes me out into nature.

American Gods is by Neil Gaiman and the concept of the book is that there are the older gods from the olden days and in our new age there are gods for everything: Bridges, computers, the internet. It's really interesting.

Return to “News/Articles”