The Downward Spiral: Depression & Suicide in Paganism

If there's a news article you'd like to discuss (witchcraft related or not), this is the place to do it.
Sakura Blossom

The Downward Spiral: Depression & Suicide in Paganism

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I came across this tonight, being shared on my newsfeed on Facebook. I've often talked with people on here and in the real world alike, about how many Pagans tend to suffer from some kind of mental illness or some kind of problem. I think this is a very interesting read and had to share.

Depression & Suicide in Paganism.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Vesca

Re: The Downward Spiral: Depression & Suicide in Paganism

Post by Vesca »

Statistically, Pagans are more likely to experience many of the risk factors than the average population. Most of us have suffered from feeling like black sheep; those who come from homes with opposing faiths, struggle with gender identity or practice alternate lifestyles are even more likely to experience this. We tend to be working class people, whose education often outstrips our financial circumstances, leading to frustrated ambitions and debt. We are more likely than the average population to come from abusive backgrounds and suffer from neuroses or anxiety disorders. Pagan leaders are almost guaranteed to encounter someone who looks to them for guidance that struggles with this illness.
It's an interesting article. I wish they had gone into more depth regarding the pagan community's situation with it. But I kind of wonder how they came to those "statistics."

It's likely that pagans are more open to sharing their struggles with depression and mental illness than those who were brought up in alternative cultures (not just Christian, but different regions and cultural expectations). Yes, probably ever pagan leader will be approached with some mental situation, but so does every Christian priest, Rabbi, Grandmother... you get the idea. Mental challenges are very common, even if there's no official diagnosis, almost everyone goes through some bought of crisis at some point in their life. Probably everyone.

In fact, the vast majority of people contacting myself and my colleagues in a crisis have been very strictly Christian.

I think mental illness affects everyone globally, it doesn't matter what path you're walking. The difference really is if there are social and professional supports to draw on and if you're willing to call on those supports. Professionals don't care what beliefs you keep, as long as you aren't actively harming other people. Not all professionals cost an arm and a leg to talk to.

But there is that little voice in the back of the mind of those who are struggling that makes you feel isolated anyway, no matter who you are or what you believe or what you do with your life. That's a universal feeling when it comes to depression and other mental illnesses.

Return to “News/Articles”