Rant/parents/mental health misinformation

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
breaddd

Rant/parents/mental health misinformation

Post by breaddd »

I never told my mom that I'm pagan, or I practice witchcraft. She knows (and so does my father) that I don't believe in the Christian god. They're both still and denial and when I told my dad he legit started crying (it made me feel bad but it's really not something that I'm going to change).

Recently, my mom has caught on that I have been practicing witchcraft. I never told her directly, but there are jars, dried herbs, and candles all over my room. She probably has been looking through my internet history as well tbh (talk about intrusive).

Today she came into my room and asked me why I have so many jars in my room. I made some nonchalant excuse that they were for storing stuff in (which is true lmao). She obviously didn't buy it and she insisted that I put them in the recycling. I lost a bunch of dried peppermint leaves and two jars -_-

She then goes on to say, "I don't understand why you have to be into all this dark stuff. Witchcraft? Magic? I just want you to be happy."

The funny thing is--I was fine until she came in, intruded on my personal things, and took my stuff.

There are other things that she mentioned in that spiel as well -- mental illness and self harm. (I'm recovering currently -- 4 months clean!) She basically views my mental health as a "messed up hobby" and she doesn't understand why it's happening. She doesn't know much about it obviously--even though I've been to therapy and have been prescribed medication. In her view, my mental health, sexuality, and spirituality are all interrelated and are all a big, connected problem. (I forgot to mention that I'm also bisexual.)

I guess I just needed to rant but comments and feedback are welcome. I'm a bit drained and I don't really know what to do. I usually wait until my mom is done and don't say anything. I tried to talk to her and inform her multiple times but by now I've just decided to give up.
When in doubt, consult the nearest tree.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: Rant/parents/mental health misinformation

Post by SnowCat »

You're a year older than my grandson. Try to be gracious about your mom's snooping. I understand that it drives you nuts. You don't have to have lots of "stuff" to be able to practice your beliefs. It comes from within. Be patient with yourself and with your mom.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

I'm sorry for the position you are in. It will be easier when you're older and can move out. First, I want you to remember that the basis of the Christian religion is that there is only 1 God, and one day all who believe in that God will be rewarded and go to a paradise to live with God. Anyone who believes in any other God, religion, or doesn't believe in any God at all, are doomed to live out a life of torture with Satan. I find it hard to fault Christians who get so passionate about trying to "save" their family members and friends. Remember, that's what they think they are doing, "saving" you from an eternity of your soul being tortured by an evil being. I'm not saying that they are correct, but that's what they truly believe. Just know it's because they care.

Now, I'm sure that didn't make things any easier. And, the worst is that even if you understand and are tolerant of their position, they may not give you the same respect. Remember: their religion doesn't allow them to tolerate yours, so try not to take it too personally as hard as that may be. And, again, one day when you're grown and can move out and live on your own, then you will be free to practice as you please.

Rosie
breaddd

Post by breaddd »

RosieMoonflower wrote:I find it hard to fault Christians who get so passionate about trying to "save" their family members and friends.
Honestly, I do too. I tend to cut a lot of people slack for things they say because they're trying to help and they're intentions are right. I think I'm mostly frustrated at how misinformed my mom is about it all. Everything--not just the witchcraft.

Thanks for the replies though @RosieMoonflower and @SnowCat because I realize I need to keep more of a level head.
When in doubt, consult the nearest tree.

Return to “Teen Concerns”