Advice to come out of the Broom Closet?

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Gentle Melody

Advice to come out of the Broom Closet?

Post by Gentle Melody »

Well... I'm so confused right now :( .
I think I must, at least, talk to my parents about my religion, because it's not right to hide it from them, I mean, they love me, they care about me, they only want my well-being, and I hate to pretend to be someone that I'm not. Although, I don't want to hurt them, they aren't so religious, but it'll be a shock nonetheless, cause I think my parents will react like "How did my son that was working on the church last week became a wiccan?".
So, if you could give any advice on how to come out of the closet, I'll be eternally grateful :)
"If you can't let go, you will end up empty-handed
If you can't control, you'll live your life in vain"

Design Your Universe ~ Epica
TwilightDancer

Re: Advice to come out of the Broom Closet?

Post by TwilightDancer »

First things first you should write down a few things.

How you were introduced to the religion.
What about this religion is appealing to you.
What kind of positives you gain from practicing this religion.
Reasons why you don't feel the Christian religion is your true path.
Provide them with some facts, try to include some actual history. Traditions going back further than the title Wiccan.

You should present this information in a firm-but respectful manner. Acknowledge that you do not have all the answers but this is how you truly feel. Make sure they recieve this information in a clear manner. Be prepared for questions. It would also be helpful to provide some reading material. The most important thing is staying calm. Even if they don't understand or disagree, your calm resolution won't be forgotten.

Hope this helps.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

You've helped me a lot. Thank you so much! :D

TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Ace of Cups wrote:You've helped me a lot. Thank you so much! :D
Anytime. :) Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Nightwatcher

Post by Nightwatcher »

TwilightDancer wrote:
Ace of Cups wrote:You've helped me a lot. Thank you so much! :D
Anytime. :) Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

I second; please let us know how it goes. I really hope it goes well!
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

At the risk of sounding like Debby Downer, be prepared for every response, positive or negative. It can sting when your parents tell you that they'll love you no matter what, then turn around and choose to ignore certain aspects of your life. You could say that I came out of 2 different closets. My mom finally seems ok with me being a witch. (She didn't have a heart attack when my latest set of books came in.) I think part of this is because she's had about 8 years now to warm up to the idea. It actually took me a couple years to work up the courage to tell her. As for the baggage that comes with being in the other closet, she's ignored that and it hasn't come up since my last girlfriend, so I'm letting sleeping dogs lie for now.
"The Teen book of Shadows Star Signs, Spells, Potions and Powers" By Patricia Telesco has one of the nicest approaches to coming out of the broom closet I've read. There are other resources for coming out. You may want to take your time and think things through before going ahead, just to make sure you're ready.
How to Come Out of the Broom Closet
Should You Come Out of the Broom Closet?
Best of luck. :flyingwitch:
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

Thank you for all the help :)
I'm going to have a talk with a psychologist tomorrow, hopefully she'll help me.
I'll follow your advices when I'll talk to my parents.
Thank you again :)

Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

I had a nice talk with my parents yesterday (finally :lol:).
It was better than I've thought it would be, although, they said it's too early to take decisions now, and that I should stay the way I am right now, but, I can't.
I can't lie to myself, I can't pretend that I'm going to church, I need to be who I am, and not who people want me to be.
I won't give up so easily, I'll keep trying to convince them that Wicca is the right path for me. :flyingwitch:

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Something you might try, is continue as you are of course (Don't give it up for their sake, especially if they aren't going to get upset over it and were supportive), and just not bring it up into a huge conversation anymore. You've taken the cat out of the bag, now slowly introduce it to the family, if you get what I'm saying. Keep what you're doing, but slowly bring up little things now and then, to show how the religion is good for/to you, and explain different things if they ask, about why it is. I wouldn't bring it up in a huge way anymore, because I honestly do see where they are coming from.

My parents were similar when I was younger. They did raise us in a Wiccan/Pagan household, however, they told us not to get dead set on anything (not even just religion. We're talking careers, and anything else) because you honestly never know how things are going to change. I knew someone who switched back to Christianity after playing around with Wiccan beliefs.

Of course, I'm not saying this is going to happen to you, I'm explaining their point of view and what they might be thinking. (: So you could say that you're just 'exploring' and feel like this is right to you, but to help keep them on the same page as you, and to keep up the good terms, not say that you are solidified in your belief one way or another. (: That way, you're being honest to yourself, but being able to keep up your good terms with your parents. I've had to do something similar with another situation other than religion, and it helped keep everything level.

I hope this makes sense, I feel like I'm rambling and today's been a long day. Haha.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

Thank you Sakura, it's a nice idea, I'm gonna try it. At least, taking it slowly they gonna hear me (something that doesn't occur on such huge conversations, mostly I just hear their monologue :lol: ), and hopefully, they'll accept me.

Blessed Be! :flyingwitch:

Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

You're welcome! I learned that going slow was a good method as I have a very, very stubborn father who you have to slowly introduce to new ideas. Haha. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

maybe mention that christianity is no longer good for u and why.
I was raised christian too and I still haven't told them even at the decade when I was living with them under the same roof.
u don't have to convince anyone about your beliefs. let them be; maybe in time they ll understand on their own that u are not one of them in religion.
*Blessed Be*
Gentle Melody

Post by Gentle Melody »

Thanks for clarifying things Kat :D

Return to “Teen Concerns”