My Coming Out of the Broom Closet Story

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
asthesunlovesthemoon

My Coming Out of the Broom Closet Story

Post by asthesunlovesthemoon »

Oh, this will be fun to write. So, when I told my mom I was a Wiccan (bit of background information first, she's a religious Muslim and is very ignorant to other religions) she threw her car keys at me and told me to go kill myself. She apologized the next day, but she still refuses to acknowledge me as a Wiccan. She gets pissed off every time I talk about it. She refuses to even have a diplomatic discussion with me. I don't know what to do other than practice in secret, but I have a feeling that it's wrong. I can't help it. I'm lost without Wicca. She's making me miserable.
Kat
Banned Member

Re: My Coming Out of the Broom Closet Story

Post by Kat »

be patient. someday u may live alone or with your dream person, wear your pentacle and practice all u want. may see your altar and not mind even if u don't share wiccan beliefs. I'm wiccan for 15 years, live alone and practice all I want but my parents still don't know. we don't advertice our beliefs and have nothing to prove to anyone; so why seek a fanatic's approval?
*Blessed Be*
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Hello, Electra.
Perhaps I am not the right person to give you advice on the subject, as I am not really out of the broom closet myself. My husband is somewhat aware that I am a witch, but we don't really talk about it. His parents however are not and they are devoted christians (a religion that is traditional for my country, but I don't consider mine), but I do love them both and they are extremely nice people who care about me and help us any way they can, so I don't share things that would upset them.
I understand you think it's wrong to practice in secret. But sometimes it's more important to not hurt the people you love. Still, I guess it's a little bit late for that. Children often do things their parents find offensive (speaking from experience, I have done about million things my parents hated and I do feel bad now, but there is no turning back). Your parents will still love you, no matter what. Yet, why don't you consider practicing in secret while still living with your mom? I am absolutely positive she wants the best for you and perhaps thinks her religion is the right one for her, you and whomever she loves. It's not ill will on her side.
I know you feel like you should confront her and fight for what you believe in. But sometimes it's better to just lay low and relax. Practicing in secret is not the end of the world. Hurting your mom isn't either, but it's not really wise. We only have one set of parents. Sometimes we have to spare them the suffering.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Hiya Electra!

Respect your Mom's decision however in the meantime, try to educate her about paganism and address their concerns and objections. If she take a structured approach, writing down the objections they have stated or that they think they would have, and then researching to address those objections, so that you can discuss it -- if it's possible with the whole family. While sharing your knowledge, you have to respect their religious beliefs also while maintaining your own beliefs. There is absolutely no point in forcing them to believe you. I believe in educating them, there will be a time, they'll see the inconsistencies in their adopted religion’s official teachings and will question them either openly or silently.

Though this is a slow process, and can take a lot of work, quite often it shows parents a level of maturity, and that the child is really serious about it, which can often impress them and turn the tide. It also helps them to learn more about paganism themselves.

Impress your parents, work hard to increase performance in areas that are important to them like education. And then when the parents comment on the improvement, attributed it to your newly-found faith as it inspires you.

Explore areas of paganism which closely match or resemble the religion of your parents, and casually point out similarities over time. Like for example Christianity, as you begin to dig deeper into the origins of this religion, you will begin to discover to your great horror it has many similarities in terms of rituals, stories, and even some teachings. With the historic findings, we now have reasonable proof how some pagan beliefs and Jewish traditions were adaopted, mixed and combined by the Early Church Fathers in order to make it easier to convert the both Jewish people and Pagan folks.

These are all based around overcoming the parents fears of the unknown, showing the child's maturity (and so capability to chose for themselves) and showing the benefits of the system.

Yes don't practice Wicca in secret, as in most cases they will be found out which in my experience makes parents less trusting and less willing to hear their point of view. This generally leads to fights and conflicts, that gradually escalate until both sides are hurt and totally unwilling to hear the others side of the story.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Return to “Teen Concerns”