Broom Closet Stories

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
SouthernBelle

Broom Closet Stories

Post by SouthernBelle »

Those who are out can share their stories and other can ask for advice!

I told my boyfriend and my best friend first they were cool with it my boyfriend want to learn more and my best friend honestly didn't care (and he's catholic)
I told my older sister looking for advice on how to tell my mom she said it was a phase and not to say anything
my mom was next she found out by checking my text messages while i was asleep her only words were "don't tell caroline" my very very very sheltered catholic friend.
my little sister and her two friends found out when they walked in on my cleanse my Tarot
Every one was neutral for the most part except for my mother who is still so deep in denial she asked me to say grace the other night.
BallisticJW

Re: Broom Closet Stories

Post by BallisticJW »

Here is the thing. Since you are kinda young people will think that your choice of religion is a phase. Primary because young people tend to change the minds and hearts as to what they want and what they believe. I always say if you are younger than 15 to pretty much stay in the broom closet until you have done your year and a day of study. This of course isn't something all witches do, but it has its positive points. Just learn as much as you can and make sure you are doing it all because you feel compelled to and not just because you think it looks/sounds or mite b cool.
BaeTheWitch

Post by BaeTheWitch »

I'm still in the broom closet.... The only one that knows exactly what I am and what I do is My best friend....My family is Southern Baptist and Catholic on my fathers side and on my mothers they were Native American (Cherokee to be exact) healers. Some would say pagan others Native American folklore religion, but they stoped that many years ago...But we still have some traditions and I have adopted the religion. I just don't know how to come out...
Mazu Sakura

Post by Mazu Sakura »

My mother and father both are dhristians, and said that if I am a wiccan, then they would kick me out because they will not accept devil worshiping in their house. How can I make them see that i am not a devil worshiper?
The tears we cry are the scars we bear.
May we bear them with pride, for they tell the story of who we are and where we have been.
BLESSED BE!
Zili

Post by Zili »

Mazu, I posted to another poster some time two years ago I've copied the following from the post these were my suggestions for dealing with the topics the poster had questions about.

1) How to avoid Confirmation
---Simple and easy although it may not help with the conflict but confirmation is a personal choice to dedicate yourself to the religion. I was raised catholic and got confirmed wanting to please my family and grandmother although no one forced me to do it. I still feel it was a mistake because at the very start of my confirmation classes I knew I was pagan.

2) How to avoid and resolve conflict with my family
---Until they are ready to accept your decision then there will always be conflict its not avoidable you are doing good by keeping a low profile.

3) How to communicate with them in a manner that doesn't offend either party in ANY way.
---Speak to them as though you are an adult do not lose your temper. If they refuse to budge the say "I know we have a difference of opinion and belief and for now it will have to be left at that."

4) How to put it to them that I want to become vegetarian
---Not something most meat eating families like to hear. Tell them that it is a personal choice and there is nothing sinful about being a vegetarian and that vegetarians can be quite healthy.

5) How to understand their perspective
---They are your parents who raised you the thought you would turn out how they wanted you to but no one ever does. You are growing up and asserting the fact that you think for yourself and are not a carbon copy of them, its going to take them a while to get used to it.

6) How to practice my Faith without offending anybody
---Your family will still offended no matter what, but the biggest offense is if you were to stop practicing your beliefs, so don't stop. If your family doesn't want you performing magick inside the home don't, do it outside, at a park, where ever you can go easily (this is for eleborate rituals or workings) most magick is just every day life and they can't stop you from experiencing the beauty of the moon, the cleansing power of a bath, the healing power of the sun.

7) How to research the Craft without offending anybody
---Libraries and book stores, go hang out at one or two of these places and read there, take notes in a journal. (see more in the next answer)

8) How to put together a Book of Shadows
---Most witches/pagans use a simple journal such as a 3 ring binder. Its not blatenly pagan, and any sort of hand written code can keep others from discovering what it is about (just hide your code translator else where such as in a favorite book, or a school binder... could even make some art work out of it and tell your parents if they ask that its doodles.

9) How to be a productive member in the community and, by extension, the World.
---One of the best stories I have heard was called "Witch's Potion" Its the story of a christian who watched his/her friend, a wiccan make a "potion." The wiccan went around on the weekend volunteering at an animal shelter, soup kitchen, nursing home, and even delivered canned goods to a catholic church for their food drive. The wiccan was asked by the priest each time she went to help the church if she would reconsider joining the church each time her answer was "no" and that the earth was her church. He always sent her on her way saying something along the lines of "well go then child and help your fellow parishioners" as she continued with her day of volunteer work. (this story is paraphrased from the best of my memory) You are already volunteering in your community and staying away from things that can harm you and others (drugs and alcohol) I say you're already being a productive member.

10) How to come out of the Closet (Again) when I am 18 without upsetting them
---They will be upset no matter what if its not what they want. My mother is still upset 3 years after she found out. My father who suspected it for quite some time is alright with it, as long as I'm happy.

11) How to overcome my anger and bad feelings on my own
---why do you have anger and bad feelings? is it because of how your family views you and your beliefs? if so you just have to learn that you can't change them just as they can't change you and decide to live peacefully and remind yourself that you love each other.

12) How to conduct myself in a Catholic church
---I stopped taking communion, I did my sunday school lessons, and never talked back. I asked a lot of questions, most of them were never answered, just accept that the church doesn't have an answer for every thing and go about your day.

13) How to talk to them about both Wicca and Catholicism without an ugly fight ensuing
---Do this when you are not likely to be easily upset. (females avoid doing this when you are pmsing or dealing with pmdd.) Ask your parents to listen to you as you explain your beliefs and why you have chosen to step away from the beliefs of the catholic church. Before beginning ask them not to interrupt as you speak. Hand them a note pad each with a pen or pencil. Ask them to take notes and write their questions down. When you are done speaking have them ask a question at a time and explain it to the best of your abilities. (In all actuality things will not go according to plan) Let them know that you respect their beliefs and their teachings and ask them to respect yours.

14) How to help them understand my perspective (in a respectful and friendly manner)
---re read the answer above

15) How to enjoy the holidays with them
---Keep in mind that the majority of christian holidays were placed near/on pagan holidays as a way to make pagans feel better about the transition into christianity. A lot of modern pagans celebrate yule on christmas. The tree is a pagan thing, druids would take a tree hostage during the winter to ensure that spring would come. while the tree was in the home (if they brought it inside, some chose to leave it outside and still in the ground) would be decorated with garlands and sparkly things. Easter is nothing but Ostara with a christian theme attatched to it. Halloween (Samhain) has become a greeting card holiday, but "Day of the Dead" and "All Saints Day" are based on the idea of remembering your loved ones that have passed on as the year stars to close and a new year is beginning.

16) Some good beginner spells that don't require a lot of extras
---try chants, chants can be just as good as spells, they don't need a wand, athame, or spell book, they don't require full blown rituals, just a clear mind with your intent in your heart and the repetition of words you believe in.

(originailly posted in Family---The Ties that Bind and Gag
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I never officially came out of the broom closet with my family. With my coworkers, I would take food in for the Sabbats and Esbats. I would always bring something that was traditional for the festival. People will overlook almost anything if they're getting free food. This at an Adventist hospital.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
wolfgirl96

Post by wolfgirl96 »

I told my parents I was Christo-pagan right away, and they were ok with it and belive that if I am expected to act like an adult by society, then I can make my own decisions and follow my own path. My friend came out of the broom closet recently and his dad is still in denial, but it seems to be going ok other then that. The problem is with another friend of mine. She is actually on this site. Her parents are catholic and they don't want her to worship the devil. She has to hide her tarot cards and everything and it makes her very unhappy. The guy friend thinks she should come out if she is serious about this, and if they love her it will be fine. I keep trying to tell him that she might actually get kicked out or something aweful. So she is staying in the broom closet until she is 18. I would come over and help her tell them if she wanted and it wouldn't turn out bad, but they hate me. They would blame me for "corrupting" her and getting her into devil worship :s I don't know how to help her!
frozenlight

Post by frozenlight »

I went outside, cast a circle and conjured up a storm when I was 13 years old. They never questioned me again!!! ::darkmood::

On a more seriouso note, I have not had any family issues. My grandmother is the same as me, and teaches me a lot. My family acknowledge and know there is more to the world, but following this path is not their way. They just leave us to it lol. I'm very lucky with my family. They know I'm a gay witch and it's fine

smileydance
FL
Does anyone know where I can score some chronic mugwort?
wolfgirl96

Post by wolfgirl96 »

That's awesome frozenlight, I'm glad your family is so understanding :)
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

I just checked out the solitary practitioner from the library and my grandma glanced at it and didn't give a crap.
because she's cool.
I told my therapist first, and she respects me and doesn't think it's just a phase, even though it probably is, due to my borderline personality disorder. I literally don't know who I am, what I want, or what I believe. so I probably won't be a wiccan in a year or so. but i'll try my hardest to stick to it.

I told my mom, I said
"you know what's funny? I was in the religion section of the library and among all the fricken Christianity books there was one lonely little Judaism book. and a lonely little book about wicca. so I got the wicca one. by the way, do you want to join me in a circle casting tonight?"
and she said no because she's a catholic, but she accepted it. she thinks it's a phase, because she went through the phase when she was my age.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Post by Silversong »

To be honest, with most people I'm still in the broom closet. (Who coined that term, anyway?)

But for the few who do know...

Flame, Moon, and Rain I just told. (Don't ask where these names came from XD Long stories for most of them.) They were all pretty calm about it, despite the fact that Flame is the daughter of a Lutheran pastor (slightly awkward conversation, yes).

Red actually discovered the Craft on her own. She was reading up on it and considering converting, and mentioned it to me one day, and I was like "OH DEAR SWEET GODDESS YOU SENT ME A FRIEND" and it kind of burst out. (Not the "oh dear sweet Goddess" thing; the fact that I'm Wiccan.) She was pretty happy, I think.

The last one, whom I don't have a name for... well, that was a lot more stressful.
Basically, Red and I had both had a stressful day. My metals project was falling apart (again), and in said metals class, a boy who's a friend of both of ours had split his finger open almost to bone on one of the grinders (he's okay now). Then in art, Red got into an argument with a boy we'll call Z because he was talking about poltergeists without knowing really anything about them and said they were demonic entities, and Red got irritated and they started arguing about it. After she gave him the definition of poltergeist, Z said, "Well, guess Red's all into witchcraft now" which really ticked her off because poltergeists aren't really part of the Craft (for most people), and snarled at him, "Yeah, it's called being Wiccan."
Suddenly, my perspective on the room changed entirely. The only way I can describe it is that my vision seemed to zoom out almost, and suddenly it felt like Two vs. World, even though most of the class clearly didn't care.
This was also the moment when I realized just how scared I am of people outside my family finding out I'm Wiccan. How deep that subconscious programming, which I discussed a bit in my introduction thread, goes.
A couple lines after that, I finally snapped and shouted, "Will you both SHUT UP?" I actually almost punched Z, but my voice broke on the last word and I almost started crying; I rested my forehead on my forearms, folded on the table in front of me, and let my hair curtain me off from the world. Both of them stopped, and Red and I ended up going to the bathroom because I didn't want to cry in front of everyone. I didn't want to deal with the consequences.
Long story short, while we were in there and I'd just stopped crying, the girl came in and found us and just kind of came over and hugged me and I told her the whole thing. A couple days later, I explained more about it to her. We actually started discussing similarities between Wicca and Christianity (she's very Christian but also very open-minded, thank the gods).
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I didn't know this thread was here !
I would have thought coming out of the broom closet
would be up in the basics of the craft...
It's a bit long...
My life was a bit different then most while growing up...
Their God didn't help me when I asked, but when I asked
Diana for her help and assistance, I received Her help
within a week or so; so I'm staying pagan for life !
I was taken away from home a month after I turned 13yrs,
I spent 6-8mo in a "receiving home" before I was sent to
an all girls "school". Most of the girls there deemed by
their parents as incorrigible, hard to handle...etc.
I spent 1 1/2yrs there, I kept running away because I
didn't belong there. I was the victim, not the offender.
I knew when I was 8-10yrs old that I was a witch, I walked
to school and I could pet dogs along the way that others
could not get near. I just had a way with animals they
tend to gravitate towards me.
At 16yrs I was allowed to live with my youngest Uncle
and his wife. Mom told him she didn't want me drinking
anymore :| One day after school I got a wild hair and
popped the seal on a bottle of scotch and with my little
A&W shot glass I proceeded to drink half ! Uncle got mad,
understandable ! He said he was going to send me back to
Oak Glen girls school...I thought to myself, there's no way
I'm going back to that place cause I'd stay 'til I was 18yrs.
The next morn' I called my friend and told her what went
on and that I was leaving; she went with me, she had no
reason to leave home, she was a Leo like me and saw an
adventure unfolding. So we went. Not knowing much about
things in the world yet, there was an 18-wheeler at the light
waiting to get on freeway. I told Sandy if we get a ride from
them we may have a long ride ! I was right...we really didn't
know where we were going. We went to Seattle Wash. by
way of Billings Mont from San Bernardino, Calif. ! We had a
blast. When we were in Seattle someone got wind of us and
we wound up with a ride that took us to get something to eat
and then the cops came and took us to juvy.
I was emancipated after that and I hitch-hiked across the country,
seeing all but 7 states. I traveled by 18-wheelers, helping load and
unload the trailer for my spending money so I wasn't a "burden" to
anyone. I got pretty good with the moving trucks; load, unload
take inventory, the whole shebang. I drove an 18-wheeler before
I drove a car ! I'd talk with the drivers about my beliefs, that there
is just too much going on in the world for just one "God". I think
I convinced a few of them. I was in a wreck in a big truck so since
I couldn't get up and down in a tractor due to injury, I hitched by
car 'til injury healed. That's when the carnival found me, rather
the carny driving found me hitching. I was home ! That's where
I found myself all over again, and my first tarot deck. Stayed with
the carnival 10-12 years. I was a damn good agent(worker) and
was taught by some of the old-timers some tricks of the trade
and figured out a few on my own. If any of you went to a carnival
in Calif in the 80's you may have met me !
I partied hard too ! Off work at midnight, it would take 2hrs to
unwind and back up at 9 or 10 and do it all over again ! Wheee !
Back to my tent at night I prayed to Diana, thanking her for
sending me in that direction. Thanked her for all the fun I was
having; then thanked her for the privilege to have wheels to
drive and sleep in ! Then from a car to a van and I was the lot's
shrink; My van had rose colored corduroy on the walls made
everyone feel better when they left my van. In winter, the
off-season I'd winter with Mom; and back out in spring.
I didn't let my Mom know I was pagan 'til 15yrs ago ! We were
camping in Slab City, Ca I brought SRW BOS and looked thru it
now and then. My hubby was going thru medical problems,
thyroid, and got so pissy I found a spell in the book to get him
to settle down(or something to that effect!), and Mom helped
me with it ! Spell called for a red clay pot to break. In all the
left behind stuff there she actually found an intact pot !
Mom was fine with my choice, she gave me that choice when
I was 8. The only thing she asked, not to count out the other
beliefs if this one went sour.
I came out to hubby's brother and his wife 15yrs ago when we
were getting ready to move in with them. His Brother was fine
with it, it took his wife a few months to warm back up to me.
Their Sister..."I thought so !" It was her that taught me the
computer in 1998 and my whole world opened up to me !
I just wish there were more pagans in my small town, I only
have one pagan friend and she lives like 30-35miles away.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz

Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Becks

Post by Becks »

What a wonderful wild woman you are! This makes my heart so happy just picturing your wonderful caravan you beautiful gypsy!! I'd love to visit you at a carnival in my dreams. Thank you for sharing that! Respect!

Return to “Teen Concerns”