Is 12 too young to practice witchcraft?

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
ChanelJinxT2011

Re: Is 12 too young to practice witchcraft?

Post by ChanelJinxT2011 »

wow! I have not been in here for only about a week (I was having exams) and there were so many posts. i just wanted to tell everyone that i am really grateful for all of our advices and ,well, THANKS!!
AmethystQuartz

Post by AmethystQuartz »

Er.., i hope 12 is not too young because i am 11! :)
Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
ChanelJinxT2011

@Amethyst ha. its not. many people assured me that its fine. in fact they said that starting younger would be better. your location says that you are away with the faeries, so does that mean that you are a fae witch?
AmethystQuartz

Post by AmethystQuartz »

Not really, but i do believe in them as i saw one with anne my old spirit guide. She was a lady bird... anyway, im more well, i'm not sure.
Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know,
The piper's calling you to join him,
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.
ChanelJinxT2011

Ah, I see. I think faeries are pretty cool.
LittleBit1309

Post by LittleBit1309 »

I am 12 too, and It's scary how much we are alike... just by coincedence. Only two of my friends know, ( One is also studying, but I doubt she'll take it seriously) and I haven't exactly told my parents, and I am in need of supplies, mostly books and candles because I've really only gotten around to studying and meditating for long periods of time.. :|
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I know this is an older thread, but I just had to say two things.

First, ChanelJinxT2011, you asked on my Book of Shadows thread if you could copy that stuff for your own BoS. Yes, you can copy it, print it, or do whatever you please with it. That's the whole reason I posted it (and everything else that's on my website or in any of the Books of Shadows here on the board.)

Second, I don't know why someone would tell a 12-year-old to "be honest" with your parents about being a witch. I can't imagine that too many Christian parents would be able to accept their child being a witch. It will only make your life harder if you're open with your new beliefs. I know you weren't planning to tell them anyway because you know better, but in case there are other kids reading this thread, I wanted to put my two cents in and just remind these 'just be honest' types that just because your parents were liberal hippies who allowed you to do whatever you pleased does not mean that other kids have the same kind of freedom. In fact, there are parents who are so closed-minded and conservative that they would literally try to cast demons out of their child if they admitted to practicing witchcraft. They may very well try to beat the devil out of their child. Do you want to be responsible for knowing that a child was harmed because you told them to be honest and they took your advice? Some parents are entirely irrational about almost everything their child does. They react with violence and abuse to the smallest things. They even make up reasons to be pissed off just so they'll have a reason to berate their child. So unless you know who you're dealing with, I wouldn't advise anyone to tell kids to be honest about their Wiccan/pagan beliefs.

Just remember that Christians have typically been brainwashed from a young age to believe that any religion other than their own, and especially any beliefs having to do with witchcraft, is Satanic and evil. They couldn't see it from any other perspective even if they wanted to, because their church's beliefs have been drilled into their heads a million times. Fear, guilt, and threats of hell (not to mention gory, bloody Easter plays) were used to cement those beliefs and make them afraid to question what they were told. So if you have the kind of parents that you KNOW won't understand your new beliefs, then you really shouldn't tell them because there are just too many ways that controlling parents can make your life miserable if they suspect or know that you're doing something they disapprove of.

You know your parents best. Don't let anyone tell you when it's time for you to come out of the broom closet. Only you can make that decision. There are some popular books that encourage kids to be honest with their parents about witchcraft, and that may be where people are getting that idea, but I doubt that the people telling you to be honest ever had to deal with the sort of parents that I know exist - parents who have been brainwashed to believe religious lies, parents who are arrogant, controlling, bossy as hell, and get their kicks from being abusive towards their own children. Just keep it to yourself until you're absolutely sure that the person you want to tell will be supportive and understanding. It can actually be dangerous to be too honest with the wrong people. Being a witch is not something that you go around just blurting out to people. I bet the people who would tell you to be honest with your parents are probably not being honest with the authority figures in their own lives (like their boss). They probably hide their beliefs out of fear of what will happen. Most witches do need to hide it. The danger is real. There can be very negative consequences to admitting the truth. I don't advise being open about it unless you're sure that you're safe and that you won't be attacked.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I would say that you have two choices when thinking about telling your parents. First choice is DON"T, the second one it to be honest. Only you know which to do, and SW is very right some parents are frickin' crazy and will try to cast demons out of you or Beat the Jesus back in. My parents freaked in a bad way and I didn't really come fully out until I was 16 and moving out. They found my alter when I was 12 and tried to get me "straighten out" in many ways. I quickly let them know that the alter was a part of a phase I was going through and faked being all for Jesus for the next 4 years. I am 24 now and my parents still think I am crazy and have tried to get me committed to a metal hopital and my child taken away. ( Let it be known that NO lawyer would touch thier case because it was stupid but them trying hurt enough). There is a very dangerous path when trying to be OPENLY Pagan. Be careful.

On being honest, if you think your parents can handle it without becoming Jesus monsters; then yes do it that way. You are the only ones who can possibly imagine how your parents would react. Remember the Burning times are just a Crazy Christitan and a match away.
MeallaAoi

Post by MeallaAoi »

I think JBR and SW both make a very valid point. You can't rely on a stranger's opinion to know if it is a good time - if one ever exists, in your case - to tell your parents and other authority figures in your life that you are Wiccan/Pagan. You need to be sure you're willing and able to handle whatever consequences arise if you do decide to tell them.
That being said, I must disagree with both JBR and SW that all or even most parents will react with violence. Derision and scorn, yes. But not violence.
But that's just my $0.02 on the matter.
lasto i lamath, erin gwaew, i lammath lin edair. avo osto! aphada ven thanc, ar u dhir tira. last' inn tegitha...

Mornië illumë na mahtanna calina...
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Mealla, I have seen many parents react in such a horrid way that it makes you want to puke. Yes they are parents, but thay are first Christians. And for a child, the offspring, of a Christian to reject the faith is a failure to God. When this young it is the parents job to raise Chrisitians, I hope you never have to see the abusive side of the faith.
roseonfire

Post by roseonfire »

Christians are raised to believe that if their children don't believe in their faith, the parents go to hell too.
The Goddess is like the moon itself, guiding us in our darkest moments.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I think things should always be handled on case by case basis. I am all for the truth but sometimes you have to know when to hold your tongue. I also think that most preteens and teenagers arent really mature enough to practice witchcraft. Any religion is a commitment and most teenagers arent capable of committing themselves in the way thats necessary. There are however ones that will suprise you. Like i said case by case basis.
Sekhmet

Post by Sekhmet »

I"m 12 to
Crystal1216

Post by Crystal1216 »

I'm 13 and I am newly Pagan. I only told a few of my friends. You could say that i am in the "broom closet". when i was first started looking into Witchcraft and everything I asked my mom "Um, would you care if I was christian or not?" She was understanding and said " no, why? what do you want to be?" I couldnt tell her at the time and I havent told my parents yet. Or my siblings. Its a strict dont ask dont tell policy. If someone asks me ill tell them. I wasnt a a very reglious christian. My parents never brought me to church and they just really told me "this is what you are, this is what you believe" so i guess thats why I was "curious" about other reglions. Even though I was never a strict christian it was hard to give up things like christmas. Even my name means "christ-bearer" :/. But all in all i think that its worth it. It's sort of lonely doing it alone but we dont have any covens near where i am...
ravenhecateana

Post by ravenhecateana »

Crystal, you don't have to give up christmas...we just celebrate yule on the 21st of December instead.

I was 12 when I read my first book on Witchcraft. It was Sybli Leek's Diary of a Witch...it was my brother's book and he also had Anton LeVay's Satanic Bible. He was in college as a journalism major and was writing an article about the differences between Witchcraft and Satanism. My brother, Gods bless him, is a very progressive and forward thinking soul. It took me about 13 years before what I read in that book to really sink in and for me to accept the fact that I was a Witch, but that definitely was the first step in that direction I ever took.

There are children as young as 8 or 9 who are preaching in christian churches, so why can't a young pre-teen be a wiccan or witch? The biggest issue is how your parents will react to it. If they are supportive, then it is no problem.

Return to “Teen Concerns”