My Mom Just Won't Understand

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
SingingCanyon

My Mom Just Won't Understand

Post by SingingCanyon »

I told my mom once that I was a Wiccan. It didn't go so well. I come from a Christian family who believes that Wicca is a Satan-Worshiping Religion. She said she was scared for me and that I had to talk to a person who would "help" me. I just couldn't so I told her that it was just a phase I was going through. Now I don't know what to do. I want to keep going on my spiritual path, but I don't know what to do. Athena give me wisdom! :?
I am the voice of the past that will always be,
Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields.
I am the voice of the future,
Bring me your peace,
Bring me your peace and my wounds,
They will heal.
-Celtic Woman

Blessed Be,
Singing☾anyon
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Re: My Mom Just Won't Understand

Post by Lost_Demise »

You could try to show her books on Wicca and have her read them. Try to get her to understand, after all you shouldn't have to change yourself. Though at the same time I would say humor your mother a little bit except your mothers words you said sort of worries me. It reminds me of those horrible things people try to do to their homosexual children sometimes to 'help them'. I would say be open about your religion and don't hide it but I don't know what kind of place you live in^^;
SingingCanyon

Post by SingingCanyon »

Lost_Demise wrote:You could try to show her books on Wicca and have her read them. Try to get her to understand, after all you shouldn't have to change yourself. Though at the same time I would say humor your mother a little bit except your mothers words you said sort of worries me. It reminds me of those horrible things people try to do to their homosexual children sometimes to 'help them'. I would say be open about your religion and don't hide it but I don't know what kind of place you live in^^;
I tried that, I showed her the Wiccan Rede and did my best to explain to her what I knew about the subject, but she just found more ways to twist it into an evil religion. I would respect her wishes, but I can't if I want to keep being a Wiccan. I feel my spiritual calling in Wicca, but I don't know how to procede.
I am the voice of the past that will always be,
Filled with my sorrows and blood in my fields.
I am the voice of the future,
Bring me your peace,
Bring me your peace and my wounds,
They will heal.
-Celtic Woman

Blessed Be,
Singing☾anyon
Lost_Demise
Banned Member

Post by Lost_Demise »

Well I suppose if she refuses to see the truth then you will just need to let her know that you aren't changing your religion and she needs to get used to it. She may be your mother, but shes not your god and cannot force you to believe in a religion you don't want her. Just remind her that in her religion lies are considered a sin, so pretending to believe in it and pretending to pray to it would be even worse and trying to force you would not make you believe, at most it would make you lie to her 'god'. If she wont open her mind, maybe that would work, as in look for things in the bible and twist them to your benefit. If she complains you could always say she did worse to the book you where trying to read and maybe she should be more open minded instead of assuming wicca, pegan, or any religion that doesn't revolve around around her god must then revolve around satin.

Then again I can be a trouble maker at times so it might be good to wait for others opinions on this too, not just mine >>;
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

If my mom said that to me I think I'd throw a laughing fit tbh
I agree with Lost_Demise - point out that it's more disrespectful to pretend to be a certain religion than it is to simply not follow it
Also it might be worth reminding her that the "witch" reference in the bible was a mistranslation
xx
Ember Nightwolf

Post by Ember Nightwolf »

Hmm. Tough one. Perhaps letting her sit in on one of your spells or rituals to show her what its really like would help, but only if you feel really comfortable with it. Thats what I did with my sister, and it worked out quite well. But I can see that there could be many complications to this, so you both should be comfortable. Also, if you do do that, then I would remind her to please not interrupt you or something. The only other thing I can suggest is time. Hopefully a large dose of that and she should become used to you being Wiccan. Good Luck, ENW.
There are three sides to a coin.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Another thing I mentioned in a different thread is how good E-books or Kindle is - it's especially good if she's one of those parents who confiscate everything. Even if she goes through your files you can keep them saved on a memory stick darkbooks .org has a massive selection of them and the downloadable ones are free
xx
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Also, you could try to practice in secret. A feather for air, a stone for earth, water for water, and a match for fire. Practice without incense and candles. Learn everything you can about the herbs that grow in your area and simple spells that don't require the obvious things witches use.

Edit:
You can also focus inward with meditation.
canobiecrazy

Post by canobiecrazy »

Kitty wrote:Another thing I mentioned in a different thread is how good E-books or Kindle is - it's especially good if she's one of those parents who confiscate everything. Even if she goes through your files you can keep them saved on a memory stick
http://darkbooks .org has a massive selection of them and the downloadable ones are free
xx
Got a fake antivirus from the file host. Had to system restore. Dont trust that site, mod, please remove link or something.
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never had a problem with them - though I guess when a host site is used you're always gonna have a issue with the false ads
sacred-texts is also good and I haven't had any problem with them either
xx
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I didn't have a problem with them, either.
canobiecrazy

Post by canobiecrazy »

Just my luck I guess... >: Ill try downloading something else from the host. Maybe Ill be lucky this time..
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Your mother just loves you and wants you to be safe. Don't forget that. Everything else is just misunderstanding and confusion.

In your situation I would suggest a simple ritual to do at a river. Go to the river and call on the spirit of river. Tell the river the story of what is happening then ask it to intervene in your relationship with your mother. Ask it to bring peace, love, and goodness that surpasses understanding. As you do this pour milk and honey into the river.
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
A new found power

Post by A new found power »

I'm in the exact same kind of problem. I know my mother and father love me greatly, and I love them the same, but as I told them I wanted to study this further, they warned me that I'd be "inviting demons into my life" and that I brought bad things upon the house just by thinking about it. It's quite depressing, and I don't like the fact that they're trying to make me choose between a way of life, a religion, and peace with myself, over them. It's unfair from my point of view, but I can understand wholly that they are just worried for me. Don't forget that yourself. They DO love you no matter what they say or what misconceptions they think.
sweetanb11

Post by sweetanb11 »

okay i totally understand where you're coming from. my family isn't super religious per say, but if my parents found out they'd FLIP ::darkmood:: . thankfuly i have grandparents(and even though i don't get to see them often) who really could care less what i do in that region, where i keep my major stuff at there house. i also looked other places for what others have down to hide it and one thing i found was to just keep all my stuff in a hidden drawer or box in my room and get it out whenever i need it.

really hope this help.

Return to “Teen Concerns”