Why Teenagers Hate Their Parents (My Rant from my POV)

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Fie

Why Teenagers Hate Their Parents (My Rant from my POV)

Post by Fie »

As an exercise on discovering why I feel the way I do towards my parents, I wrote it all down in a note, I didn't give it to them though, I didn't think it would be a good thing to do, but I've found it really helps, not only me, but others who read these kind of things as well. So if there are any parents here with teenagers who hate them, or any teens who hate their parents, they can maybe learn from how I came to hate my parents? I dunno, if you are a parent of a teen, just love them, be there when they need you but never when they don't. You gotta let your teens learn the hard way. Be tolerant of other peoples religions and sexual preferences as well! Maybe your in the closet son won't think you'll disown him if he's gay if every now and then you say "I support gay marriage" or stuff. And never infringe on our privacy, trust us! Trust that you raised us right and remember that we have a brain! And treat us like we have one! Thats my advice, and heres my huge ass rant. Sorry it wasn't supposed to be this long, but you know, it is a rant xD

Dear Mom and Dad.

I used to really like you guys, but that was a long time ago. Now I feel as though you hate me. So I treat you how you treat me I guess.

Dad, your such an ass-hole. Your mean to everyone. You get angry at other people when you drive, yet you speed like an idiot. I'm embarrassed to have my friends in the car when you drive. Your such a jerk too, no one can do anything right in your eyes. Especially not me. Everything I do it wrong. And if i'm right, then you get angry, or blame your mistake on someone else. You think i'm stupid. You ignore my feelings. You're a big man-child too, you get into tantrums if you don't get your way. If dinner isn't to your liking you bitch or get all moody. If something doesn't make sense to you you get angry. If I don't say things you like you yell and grumble. You know what? I'm sick of your bullshit.

Mom, stop coming into my room when ever you want to! Stop moving my stuff, stop telling me to do this or that when i'm trying to relax after a stressful day at work. Stop trying to impose what you find important upon me. The things you like, I hate, the things that are important to you don't matter to me. You don't know a single thing about me. We could be shopping, you know exactly what my style is, then you turn around and ask me to try on some granny clothes. You know I don't eat pork yet when you make it you ask me to have some. Do you not know me at all? Do you just see me do something and then filter it out the other ear and replace it with things that make you happy?

And I hate the damn dog because you've replaced me with it. If you do something to make me pissed off you just resort to your dog for love. Yes your dog. It was our dog, my favorite pet, but then you started treating it like a human! You don't train it, it barks at every f*cking thing because you let it! Apparently obedience doesn't matter to you at all. If the dog can bark then so can I, i'll yell and get angry all I want because like the dog, I'm protecting myself from harm.

I bet you have no f*cking clue I'm polysexual either. I bet you think I only like boys, but I don't I love girls too, and I even dated one for a little while till she broke my heart. Did you know I'm supportive of tansgenders and transvestites as well? Do you know that I consider myself tansgender? That your sweet little baby girl has wished ever since she was 6 that she had been born a boy? No, you don't know that. You don't know that I broke up with my last boyfriend cause I knew I would never marry or live with a man. You don't know that I see myself in the future with a transexual or a women do you? And if I ever got married, I'm sure you would gladly disown me. I don't know if I want kids either. I might adopt, give someone whose lost their chance at life, another one. But I will never give birth and I will never be pregnant. There are enough children without homes in the world.

Mom, you know I am a practicing shamanism, but I think you just think i'm playing around with magic, having some fun. I'm not. I can sense the feelings on animals, and sometimes I even know their thoughts. I even had to tell a goat today that his sister had died and there was nothing I could do to save it. I had to listen to that baby baa and cry out for it's sister for twenty minutes. I bet you don't know about any of that. That I see hawks everywhere, perching, sitting, waiting. That when I saw that coyote on the side of the rode driving home last night, I felt as though it had looked straight into me and seen everything that was me. I bet you don't know how serious I take shamanism. And Dad, you laughed at me! You said "As long as it's not taken serious it's ok" I GET that you're an atheist. But I am not. I believe that the old religions, especially shamanism are as true as religion can get. You are not tolerant, but I am, I believe that this life is short and it is what we make of it, and if some people believe in religions, even ones that I disagree with, I have no right to doubt that they are as real as the person who believes in them thinks they are. There are many things that my religion can explain, that your absence of religion cannot. You deny Shamanism yet you know through science that plants have healing properties. You deny that stones have powers too yet the vibrations can be recorded by science and proven to have effects of people. I hate you for not accepting my religious choices.

And yes father, I know all jobs are painful sometimes, that they can be hard and we can have days where we can't stand work. But I still haven't found the job i'm willing to feel like crap sometimes for. You need to accept that. I'm going to jump from job to job. I'm only 17! I'm trying to figure out what it is that makes me happy, what jobs I can do and love. You need to accept that i'm not like you. And Mom, just so you know, I WOULD RATHER END THIS LIFE THEN SUFFER THROUGH IT. If I cannot become who I wish to become, I would much rather kill myself and start my next life, then be forced to suffer through this one needlessly. Money DOES NOT MATTER TO ME, Stability DOES NOT MATTER TO ME. HAPPINESS, that's what matters. As long as i'm happy, it doesn't matter where I live or how many material things I have. I am not you. I don't need shoes to be happy. All I need it creative thoughts and the smell of Mother Gaia to make me the riches and most happy person in the world. I have my times though, when I have crisis' about my future, when i freak out and panic, but you are never there to help, so what does it matter?

I know I'm dependent one your guys, and I resent that so much. I was to be independent and free or your clutches! I want to stand on my own feet and do things my way. I want to make my own choices and mistakes for myself! I am very smart, but you don't know that cause you are too busy treating me like a baby. Did you know I enjoy the smell of cigarette smoke, but even when I was at my most depressing state of mind, I still didn't take the offered cigarette? Do you know why? Cause all I was thinking of why my goals for the future, so I said no politely. Did you know i have no intention of doing drugs? You'd be happy know know that but you still wouldn't trust me out on the town with my friends would you? You'd be worried about me smoking my first joint, meanwhile i'd be worrying about stopping my best friend from experimenting. Did you know I have extremely high standards when it comes to sexual partners? Again, I push myself to become the futuristic me I want to be, I would never sleep around for fear of catching a STD or worse getting pregnant! (though with my preference of gender in a partner that would be a rare thing). Did you know by the way, that my first kiss with a girl happened in plain sight? In front of probably 100 students while I was in the halls? ya. And you know what? Not one person looked, not a single person cared. Because all the kids in my school are going to grow up being tolerant. They accept gays and lesbians like they would anyone else. Did you know I can celebrate Day of Silence at my school and everyone will respect my decision? Did you know that I don't have to worry about being bullied at my school for liking girls? I have a friend whose a tranny and I support him completely.

Sorry a bit of a rant there. Anyways, Mom. When you took my art that I had downstairs, you have no idea how much you hurt me, and why didn't you know? cause you don't pay enough attention to my personality. You took my art away from me. My art is my future, it's my life, it's my soul, and you just took it away from me and stuck it under your bed! You have no consideration for my heart or me.

That's about it for now mom and dad. I used to really love you guys, but then you guys gave me every reason in the book to hate you.

Sorry i'm not your perfect daughter.
[i][color=spirit]It may be that no life is found,
Which only to one engine bound
Falls off, but cycles always round.
ALFRED TENNYSON, The Two Voices[/i][/color]

Can you hear the coyotes yipping?
They are having a good time.
Teasing the shadows.

[url=http://dragcave.net/user/Fie-kun][img]http://incubators.dragcave.net/incubator_Fie-kun.png[/img][/url]
Wishes

Post by Wishes »

Wow...

That was really touching Fie. And it did show quite a lot when it comes to parents and teenagers.

I love how you act angry and stern, but do so in a somewhat calm way.

I do hope things get better though, so this rant becomes obsolete :)
~Best Wishes in Everything You Do~

Wishes
MeallaAoi

Post by MeallaAoi »

I think that, in slightly revised form, this is something every parent should read when their kid hits about 15 years old. Just as a general rule. I think it's wonderfully written and a truly honest view into the minds of many teens as relates to their parents. Well done.
lasto i lamath, erin gwaew, i lammath lin edair. avo osto! aphada ven thanc, ar u dhir tira. last' inn tegitha...

Mornië illumë na mahtanna calina...
TheArtOfLife

Post by TheArtOfLife »

MeallaAoi wrote:I think that, in slightly revised form, this is something every parent should read when their kid hits about 15 years old. Just as a general rule. I think it's wonderfully written and a truly honest view into the minds of many teens as relates to their parents. Well done.
you're right. when I was 15 (a year ago) I didn't know where to end up and I stayed at one line.. my parents aren't that annoying, luckily, but my dad always is acting childish about me being a goth (they don't even know I am interested in this, although.. maby they do, as a futher thing of my childhood)
so.. I am a teen, taking more time to grow up (a lot more time, like 2,3 years more, if not looking at my mind and my english isn't that good always, although I almost had an 8 last time :D )
Seaspirit

Post by Seaspirit »

Well Fie...

I got to say...I have an 18yr old daughter, so I hope I can say some things that might help. I hope it's okay for an oldie to be here in the teen section ::coolglasses::

It sounds to me, like there has grown a large gap and bridge between you and your parents. Sounds like you made some very smart choices, that they would be extremely proud of and respect you for, but they don't know about them. Why don't you share these things with them.

Sometimes as parents, we feel that we have let you kids down. We haven't done well enough, we haven't been good enough, we've been terrible parents. And then the good choices you describe, just tell us...'wow..I've done my job!' That's all we really want to know as parents..that we've taught you the things that matter in life. Even though you have gotten that, they don't know you have.

I wonder if there is a way you can bridge this gap with your folks. Is there an activity that you and your mum can share together, than you will both enjoy? And the same with your Dad, is there something you and he can do together. This will help you guys all get to know eachother again, and start to bridge the gaps.
It's natural that as you grow you will begin to foster your own development in your life, and are becoming your own person. Sounds like maybe your parents don't know you anymore.

I hope there is a way, that you can grow close to your parents, and them to you. You only have one set of parents, and they are very much a big part of who you are. It's okay to be angry at them and not like things about them, but I don't like when it starts to create a wedge.
Bottom line is they only want you to be happy in life. Perhaps sharing things together that make you happy will act to close these gaps between you. If they have flaws, maybe you can help them overcome those flaws!

You describe your dad as impatient and rude, maybe you can help teach him tolerance and how to have a more calm disposition. You kids are very smart, and you do have the capacity to teach us a lot, even though we are the adults.
In Light is birthed discovery.....in discovery is birthed the journey of power.

Return to “Teen Concerns”