Animations in Signatures and Avatars

If you have a suggestion or comment about the board you can share it here.
valerian moon

Animations in Signatures and Avatars

Post by valerian moon »

The blinking "blessed be" in my signature is NOT a link. but if somebody wants me to take it down because it gives them a headache or something then i'd be more than happy to. but this is just a reminder that it's not a link to anything, it's just picture text.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
PhoenixFlight

Re: Animations in Signatures and Avatars

Post by PhoenixFlight »

haha... I personally like it, and it was as easy as right-clicking it, and inspecting it =p It notified me that it's from tinypic lolz
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

It's hard for me to discuss this subject without rambling, but I'm the person who changed your signature.

I personally don't like animated gifs in people's signatures and avatars because I feel it attracts undeserved attention to their posts, as it keeps drawing the eye back to that animation.

I did recently add a new rule about animations and tacky graphics, which will hopefully prevent new members from using them. That was inspired by your former signature and some gifs one of the mods was using.

Your sig looks a lot more streamlined now without that bulky, pixelated Tumblr graphic. (There are actually nice Tumblr icons, btw.)

Also, when you see someone who has an animated graphic PLUS a link (plus a rainbow, lol), you have to assume that they're trying to draw attention on purpose so that people will visit their link. It's unusual for someone to have such a colorful, animated signature, so when you see one like that you automatically look for the reason behind it.

Hey look, I set my own sig up with an animation/link. Haha! Hopefully I'll remember to remove that later, lol. smiley_dance
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

Starwitch wrote:
Also, when you see someone who has an animated graphic PLUS a link (plus a rainbow, lol), you have to assume that they're trying to draw attention on purpose so that people will visit their link. It's unusual for someone to have such a colorful, animated signature, so when you see one like that you automatically look for the reason behind it…
i just put all that stuff because i like animations and colors :) i dont really assume people will notice my signature at all so i make them for myself to see my posts and go "ooh pretttttyyyyy!"
PhoenixFlight

Post by PhoenixFlight »

Well, honestly, unless it somehow disrupts the actual forum itself (html code injects, rogue code that allows for an exploit, etc.) then I really don't see the point in limiting too much of a persons profile; after all, it's supposed to be a reflection of who they are, not what they expect other people to want to see, or not see. No one is required to click on any links I post, nor do they have to sit there and stare at a pic they don't care for or find too flashy. HOWEVER, that being said, I have to agree with Star here, to a degree, but I would say if it's overly distracting, maybe limit what's on there lolz.. I mean, as I'm typing this, I keep seeing your sig flashing out of the corner of my eye haha
~that is an interesting notion, in it's own way~
Alura Noel

Post by Alura Noel »

I personally don't like animated gifs in people's signatures and avatars because I feel it attracts undeserved attention to their posts, as it keeps drawing the eye back to that animation.

I did recently add a new rule about animations and tacky graphics, which will hopefully prevent new members from using them. That was inspired by your former signature and some gifs one of the mods was using.

I just took down my gif that was in my signature that had a cute cat jumping to get a butterfly before noticing this post. Good thing I did since the rules just changed.

I hadn't considered that some may think that about the signature. Personally, to me it just reminded me of my cat that passed away not so long ago. As firebird said, she's in Kitty Valhalla chasing butterflies. But I can see why, with a different perspective, some may not be a fan of it or think it made posts standout.
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

PhoenixFlight wrote:Well, honestly, unless it somehow disrupts the actual forum itself (html code injects, rogue code that allows for an exploit, etc.) then I really don't see the point in limiting too much of a persons profile; after all, it's supposed to be a reflection of who they are, not what they expect other people to want to see, or not see. No one is required to click on any links I post, nor do they have to sit there and stare at a pic they don't care for or find too flashy. HOWEVER, that being said, I have to agree with Star here, to a degree, but I would say if it's overly distracting, maybe limit what's on there lolz.. I mean, as I'm typing this, I keep seeing your sig flashing out of the corner of my eye haha
yeah i'm starting to see now, i took it down.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I'm just going to leave mine up because it's so pretty, lol! Just kidding, but it actually is pretty. I'll take it down once people have a chance to see this thread, so they'll understand what I mean about the distraction. Those little smilies are also somewhat distracting, bobbing and floating around over there as I'm typing. My eye just keeps getting drawn over there. There's not really much I can do about that though. I'm assuming we all prefer animated smilies over static ones, but let me know if that's not the case. There are other smilies we can use on the board - ones that don't move. That little witch on a broom is just too cute though.
:flyingwitch: :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch:

Gah... I love that glittery unicorn!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I liked your jumping kitty Alura...it wasn't too in your face...probably because it wasn't hot pink or electric blue, but I thought it was sweet. and I kind of like the unicorn Star, he is just standing there ...all sparklie.
I think for me if it is very flashy like a bill board, or a continuity sign saying lookie here, or go this way...or like a Motel vacancy in Vegas...then it is distracting. Like... I hate to say, Lillady's 2 flashing icons on her pages are hard to read because my eye keeps going back and forth from signature to avatar...no offense Lillady.. eh?
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

new members maybe don't read the rules. I did tho, probably coz I was reading posts and learning for quite a while. But sadly that's not always the case. I have spotted a newbie who s made no posts and only asks a specific thing on live chat. Anyway I don't like animated sigs and avatars coz they draw attention to your posts. And animated smilies i think better be used in moderation; I mean one is enough to make your point; why use so many that it makes it all aanimated?
*Blessed Be*
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

garg....lookie me with my flickering flame...>sigh<
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I like the animated avatars. I always got a laugh from Frozen Light's penguin smackdown. But I do understand the need to avoid "wallpapering" the forum with animations.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I don't really mind the flame. It's a subtle, classy sort of animation.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

By the way, I fixed Lillady's broken animations several weeks ago. I noticed that too. Well, only one of them was broken (three blank frames, image, repeat). The other image just flashed on and off for no apparent reason.
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

silly but I still don't know how to add a pic as my sig. not animated of course. hahaha! of course!
*Blessed Be*

Return to “Suggestions/Comments”