*~* Witchcraft and Wicca Forum *~* EUTM

So do you have a wand, an athame, all or nothing at all?

Discussion of ritual tools and other items used in the Craft.

Re: So do you have a wand, an athame, all or nothing at all?

Postby Micheál » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:05 pm

I have both (don't know how to do pics atm)

It depends on what I'm doing, but I tend to use my athame more if I'm in, or using a circle. (I don't always, and if so don't use either as well)

I remember my early days in training we just had to use our fingers, which still happens if I'm travelling, or flying somewhere. Even if you have checked baggage, it's hard to risk losing something so precious to you.
Micheál

Postby RedRavenFox » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:52 pm

I am such a klutz that have broken at least 5 bones over the years....and yet I still use a fairly sharp athame.
And when the day arrives
I'll become the sky
And I'll become the sea

And the sea will come to kiss me
For I am going
Home

Nothing can stop me now
RedRavenFox

Postby RedRavenFox » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Incidentally there is a phrase on my athame in "elvish" that says "Sting is my name. I am the spider's bane."
And when the day arrives
I'll become the sky
And I'll become the sea

For I am going
Home

Nothing can stop me now
RedRavenFox

Postby SL » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Traditional Cretan daggers were black handed and said to be from a bone or rather a horn of an animal. What are your views on practical impact of this?

How the spider's bane dagger feels when you are holding it in your hand and how it affects the artwork and the tonality of conducting the energy?
SL

Postby RedRavenFox » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:08 am

Here's. my take on it. First of all I bought the athame online without knowing of the writing. I had to ask and then look everything up to see what it referenced. It does have a black handle. I've been looking at a lot of athames and trying to see what fits and what would best for casting a circle. I feel the art work so far has actually helped...like the words (even though the artist intended something different) I feel a level of protection and confidence. When conducting the energy I think of the "spider's bane," as the energy, spirits, etc that I do not want to harm or in anyway negatively impact the circle.

I have never had an athame made of an animal parts. I feel that this athame works for the time being and until I feel that I should stick with those instincts until I feel differently.
And when the day arrives
I'll become the sky
And I'll become the sea

For I am going
Home

Nothing can stop me now
RedRavenFox

Postby firebirdflys » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Out of my 4 main blades, the one I made feels best. The only draw back is, it's made of iron. The Faye don't like that much.
I spent many hours grinding down and polishing an old file. Then engraving sigils within the covered hilt (with leather) and etched designs on the blade. Copper is wound around the leather. Perhaps because I made it for one of my assignments when I was in my first degree, is why it feels best.
Later I went to a stainless steel scuba diving knife, I like that one very much and probably used it the most for a couple reasons, one it was very intimidating looking, and two I could tie ribbons on the loop where one could hook a clip through, so I have several multi colored ribbons hanging from there. It's also lighter weight (backpacking blade) and doesn't rust, and is super shiny.
The one I got at the Ren Faire was the most expensive and forged on the full moon in May (forgot the year) It has the most lovely purple heart wood handle and brass guard and pommel. I use it frequently and it is part of my Ren costume.
I also use a folding single edge floral knife that is the "in a pinch" blade, because I always have it.
I say never leave home without water, a blade and means for starting a fire. :D
bb, FF
Den of the Firebird Image
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned...Immaculate.
firebirdflys

Postby blue_moon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 am

I have bouth, but usually just use my hands anyway - or my grandmas old kitchen knife from the 1940s.
BB

Blue Moon
blue_moon

Previous

Return to Ritual Items and Tools